Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddi issues

Options
  • 01-12-2022 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Anyone here expert on finer points of Eddi? Ours seems to have a life of its own, comes on randomly. Still trying to sort other problems like a battery that does not discharge and the Myenergi App that will not open up/register. But thought if we could sort out Eddi that would be one problem less!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Have you tried phoning them in the UK on 0333300 1303, their phone support knowledge is excellent

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

Thks for that Slave1.... is that a phone no for Eddi? I think other half has been onto the Myenergi crowd and the installer is trying to sort via phone with us but very unsatisfactory. Only learnt yesterday that both blue boost lights on at same time meant max temp reached. We ;thought they lit up when charging eg one light for first element and two for second. We have a 'new' Eddi installed in Sept so the hub is built in to device unlike earlier models. The inverter is offline at the moment (maintenance??) so dont have benefit of the data display on that right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭TerraSolis

Hi cobham,

I'm reasonably well versed in the MyEnergi kit. The first thing I'd say is at least 50% of people with issues with any of the kit have a CT clamp on the wrong wire. Do you have more details as to your problem? For example, when it comes on randomly, have you checked what the EDDI's readings are (what it thinks your exporting, importing, generating etc.).

I must start taking better notes of problem, have been hoping it would be sorted by others by now! I need to take a full day to make obs. Thanks TerraSolis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭silver_sky

It sounds like a signal issue. May not necessarily be the WiFi, but the other RF signal that Eddi uses to communicate with the Zappi or Harvi. Do you have any other Myenergi devices? Where is the Eddi located?

• Advertisement

The Eddi is located beside the water cylinder upstairs. We dont have a Zappi. The Solarman App for the inverter is offline now also a couple of days. Is this a maintenance issue?

Have you changed your WiFi network or password on that? if both Eddi and inverter are having issues then that would be my best guess

Yes there was a bit of a change from initial registration to wifi extension in house... we lent it but it is back now. I suspect something odd about wiring as guy was back to add extra fuse and had all wiring out at back of fuse box .... trouble ever since but also day there was a general power cut of an hour earlier in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

Sorry to hijack this but I have a similiar issue. I found the Eddi not reading correctly.

SoI have arrowed it down a bit that this issue appears to be happening when the battery is not 100% charged.

Would you happen to know the reason for this ?

Can you expand on this? Is the eddi reading higher or lower / and importing or exporting when the battery isn't charged. Is the battery charging at that moment in time?

If the battery isn't charging or discharging it's state of charge should make no difference to the Eddi's operation. The Eddi can only see current flowing. It doesn't know your batteries status outside of charge or discharge level.

• Advertisement

Feel free to jump on with all Eddi queries! Now the Myenergi App is working! = 3 mths on. ... and we just got the inverter back on line. So we make progress but something is fundamentally wrong. We can now see the overview of data for the month except for the days the inverter was offline so huge increase in consumption in past 10 days coinciding with day work was done on fusebox. Now is showing the Eddi boosting away all by itself. It is set on timer to boost short spell c 8 am and 6 pm but not middle of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pgalea

Interesting I've been having a bit of a similar issue for about a week.

My Eddi is scheduled to boost at 3:30-4:30, however I've discovered it's been coming on when it feels like it even when I am not exporting energy.

Today I tried to control the Eddi from the app and it was pretty unresponsive all day. Then I noticed the time was correct but the date was completely wrong.

The Eddi and Zappi are both V2 and connected via hardwired ethernet, the Zappi is acting at the hub.

Cannot figure out why has changed all of a sudden but it's a pain has its depleting my powerwall. I have a CT hooked up to the supply, gen and battery to the Zappi and a temperature sensor on the cylinder hooked up to Eddi.

Anyone else having similar issues with app and Eddi ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Well the oddities of the battery are a whole other story... since lads fiddled with electrics three weeks ago, it is no long 'feeding' the house at night and is showing full in the morning. Comment above about crossed wires seems a likely suspect. Thanks Con. How to get them to come back? registered installer etc and still no BER done or grant application made.

I am at stage of getting rid of Eddi and putting back my immersion timer only replaced last year ... pity it was removed. We dont have night rate yet but if and when we do, the timer could heat water at night for following day and if loads of sun in summer we can just put energy into water by turning it on immersion directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 irewestlad

Hey all, I’m seeing an issue with my dad’s Eddi where it is reporting excess supply (and sending to immersion) even though the panels are producing very little currently these days. I’ve checked and there is no timer set up either. Anyone else see this? Any thoughts on how to resolve? Thanks

How long is the EDDI installed? I assume you tried an off/on cycle

I had some sort of problem similar ... it seems it was some default system to power up whenever it felt like it. The inverter was tweaked by installer and seems to have stopped. Meanwhile with what seems wrongly configured CT Clamps the Apps x 2 and the inverter screen still contradict each other. So that might be a data issue but the hot water when not scheduled and on a dull day was very obvious...and the blue lights '0n'

Sounds like they setup timed charging overnight. If its set to charge (even if full), it won't discharge.

Main grid CT clamp is backwards - if I had a penny 🙃

It's an easy fix if you aren't put off by opening up your consumer unit/fusebox.

Heading into to brighter days so look forward to getting good feed off solar. We have a battery so when that is full, excess goes to the water via the Eddi. Does the energy continue until the full tank is heated to a certain temperature before the excess goes to the grid? We have the Eddi set up to charge up from the grid with one immersion element morning and evening. This is just the top of the tank. Does the solar continue to the rest of the tank? Or does the second element have to be selected as a setting on the Eddi?

Post edited by cobham on

• Advertisement

IF you have both immersions connected to the EDDI then you decide which one is priority (usually the top/traditionally called "sink") and once that immersion senses (it has a temperature stat) water has reached desired level it will move to priority two (usually the bottom/traditionally called "bath).

Once priority two reached desired temp then your cylinder is "full" and excess will be exported (assuming no battery/EV).

EDDI will check is the water still hot every 10minutes or so, or will automatically kick in if you run the hot water off with washing dishes/hands/shower etc etc

Ah that checking back every 10 mins explains why the blue light comes on at odd times. I must check the settings. It would be nice to have most of excess into hotwater and not going off to grid when a pitiful return. For the moment we have the winding back meter!

We have selected the Eddi to boost Tank One twice a day. (aka top immersion). The solar when it has excess seems to top up the temperature on the early morning boost and then exports the rest? or maybe it is doing both at the same time? Will it go on to power up the second immersion (tank 2) if the first tank is at full heat?

Not so relevant at this time of year but we look forward to better production over summer. If we are away for more than a few days should we turn off the Eddi or just 'zero' the settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

when Heater1 (bottom emersion?) is at max temp (immersion stat) then Heater2 (top?, if it exists) will take any surplus.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

most folk have Sink/Top as 1 and Bath/bottom as 2 and to answer @cobham it should move from 1 to 2 after 1 has reached max temperature and it should do so automatically

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Do you have 2 completely separate immersions or a combined sink/bath one?

if it's a 2 in 1 immersion (2 elements 1 immersion, usually from the top of the cyclinder) they share the same thermostat.

Because they share the same thermostat the second element won't kick in as it would appear the tank is "hot"

If it's combined immersion, the sink one is usually a lower power one. If you boost each immersion the lower power one is the sink.

It is a combined tank with two elements for sink or full tank. I am still a bit confused. Power is going to the grid as well. Does that mean that only so much can go to the Eddi and some excess will also go to grid at same time? At some stage middle of the day both blue lights are 'on' on the Eddi which I believe means that the thermostat temperature is reached. For the moment with limited sun it is hard to imagine the full tank is fully heated. It is so well insulated it is impossible to feel the bottom of the tank. I would like to think in midsummer that we might get a full tank of hotwater as well as run the house and charge battery on a good day. For the moment no EV to complicate matters!

If you look at what power the Eddi is using on the screen it should show about 1.5kw for the old sink top element and about 3kw for the old bottom bath element when heating the water. It should be well capable of heating the hot water tank and filling the battery and covering the base load of the house during the good months unless it's a small system.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

Sorry to hijack but @graememk I think what you described above in relation to the 2 in 1 top immersion is exactly what I have. My Eddi is only heating the top half of the tank as when "Tank 1" (sink) gets up to temp it just shuts off and starts exporting excess solar instead of moving onto "Tank 2" (bath). Similar to what you described, they must both be using the same thermostat.

Is there any way to get it heating the full tank? I think I tried changing the priority to tank 2 but it still seemed to only heat the top half before switching to export.

• Advertisement

It's possible it was wired up wrong or the element is faulty.

Advertisement