Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2022 Assistant Principal Competition - Open and Interdepartmental

Options
1424344454648»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭countyireland12345

Great idea and wish I had thought of doing that..... I wonder does it work though. On the other side, does the Department have a choice, can it refuse a candidate and wait for a better matched one?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Kirbi

@countyireland12345

It's how I was placed in the previous competition (although I had also worked with my prospective manager before).

It only works if both parties - candidate and employer - state that it's their preference for the candidate to be placed there. The preferences have to be made known to PAS before the candidate comes to be placed, and PAS can tag them for that employer.

Otherwise, the Department can't just refuse a candidate, and the candidate can't just refuse a placement. And if the timing isn't right for the tagging to work, i.e. there's not a vacancy there at the time, I think you'd be out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 littleb

Those who’ve been through the process, I’ve my interview early in the week after next can you remember how many days in advance you the strategic exercise i.e. was it seven or more in advance. Getting a bit jittery here. Any interview tips appreciated also if anyone has the time thanks 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chilli beanie

hi in my experience it is 2 sometimes 3 questions per competency and then the panel will typically probe your answers. The question you mention is too basic and I doubt would be asked at AP level in that format. In my experience a typical question could be along the lines of

Can you tell us about a time when you were leading on a strategic project or policy, what were the challenges and how did you go about getting buy in from your team.

Or

can you tell us about a time when you had to prioritize tasks taking into consideration available skills and resources, how did you prioritise, what were the challenges and how did you address them

or

Tell us about a time you felt you were right but the person making the decision did not agree with you how did you go about explaining your position and what was the outcome..,

hopefully that gives you a steer.

Also to those turning down (or considering turning down positions) it’s worth bearing in mind after 2 years in role you can apply for mobility and have a decent chance of moving into a preferred Dept and role where you get to actually see the role descriptions in advance and of course requesting an internal transfer is also an option to seek out .

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Swilly22

Hi there. I just checked and my SAE had to be submitted 3 working days before the interview date. It was 5 days in total if you factor in the weekend. I received the topics 7 days before the deadline. Best of luck. Lots of great tips in this thread. It's a lot of work. Have a look through Programme for Government for an idea of potential topics. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Onion87

I'm waiting to be called for preclearance. I have no real preference for dept only that I really need a hybrid role, 3 days remote, 2 days in. Could I email PAS to request a hybrid role rather than a full time office role before you're called for clearance? Or is that not the done thing/pointless?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Kirbi

@Onion87

No sorry, you can't do that as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Swilly22

No harm however in my experience PAS won't know the specific business needs & blended working arrangements of the team you're assigned to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 littleb

• Registered Users Posts: 28 markyp1988

Anyone from batch 3.3 for Dublin open been called yet? Seems to be moving at a snails pace at the moment.

• Advertisement

I emailed PAS this morning. They are now calling 3.3 for preclearance, I was 20 on OOM and now there are 4 ahead of me.

Can anyone tell me at what stage do they tell you what dept they are offering you? Is it when you are called for preclearance or after preclearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ritournelle

Can anyone who has done the Stage 3 interview and presentation advise how long the interview will last. Thanks a million

Advertisement