Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NEW 2022 Assistant Principal Competition - Open and Interdepartmental

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭hungerjames

If you've already been placed on an AP panel for the 2021 Competition, they have indicated that those panels will still be pulled from now until July 2023 on a demand-led basis, so I would suggest throwing your hat into this ring again until such time as you are officially appointed just in case, but don't lose hope yet for the 2021 panels either at this stage.

Post edited by hungerjames on

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭exitstageleft

Do AP comps also start out with those super fun attitude tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 UC2020

The

Post edited by UC2020 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4 who? too

Does anyone know if previous service in the public service counts towards eligibility for this? I transferred into the civil service through an open competition a year ago directly from public service.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭2021_AP

The attachment with breakdown of number of positions notified in previous campaigns is very interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭hungerjames

86% of all new AP appointments since 2018 were for Dublin, according to the sums in that. Not surprising but still more than I thought! I presume a lot of the rural AP gigs for Departments like DSP that would definitely have a few get snapped up on mobility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 who? too

N/A

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

New application form format. Better than the PDF of old I think. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭doc22

Outside Dublin deparments would favour internal candidates(outside PAS) and prob used their open sequency for dublin only positions.Add to that Revenue would have there own open AP panel outside of PAS too.

Goes to show the attrition rate too. 210 positions filled from the 2020 yet thousand+ went through the rounds.

Lots of 2018 candidates complained how they weren't paneled in 2018 but they were(AOs) in 2016 but 2016 may had a more lenient assessment process given the numbers PAS had to fill

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ritournelle

Hi, just wondering if anyone could recommend any resources for preparation for the aptitude tests (other than the sample questions etc PAS provide).

Thanks a million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Stickmam

Does anyone know if you moved on mobility, are you eleigible to apply for this? I know you've to stay in your new role for 2 years before you can move again on mobility but can you apply for promotion within the two years? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

Yeah you can still apply for both open and interdepartmental.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ah sure I'll go in again for another 2 years of hope and eventual disappointment

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gargoyle711

I’m also interested in any suggestions on this and how to prep for the aptitude exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Roch1963

I subscribed to this website with aptitude test packages in July 2021 which cost €39 for all test packages: https://www.practiceaptitudetests.com. The cost of one test package is €29, so it's worth paying a bit more for the whole lot of them. Happy to say that I passed the AP aptitude test stage as well as all other stages, leading to my AP placement this month. The practice tests certainly prepped me for the real thing and improved my proficiency, so I do recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 eamondevaney

Hello Roch1963 ,

Could you be a bit more specific about the type of aptitude tests you encountered in the AP aptitude tests?

Do you have test booklets issued before the àssesments?

The website you refer to has a lot of different types of aptitude tests so it would be useful to know generally which ones are used by PAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭agnena

Last year I tried these ones and they were very helpful. I ended up in the 1st batch.

Irish Civil Service Assistant Principal Test Prep (jobtestprep.co.uk)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭plasticheart

They use verbal, numerical and situational judgement tests.

If it's the same as the 2022 competition you'll get a booklet with a link to a practice test. I think you can only do this test once. You'll then get a link to the real tests which has practice tests to complete before the real ones. These practice tests can be done multiple times.

Best of luck to everyone applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 oranreilly

For the people who have been through the process before or gotten AP -

I'm wondering roughly what my chances are. I've been in the CS since the end of May as an AO, I have 3 years of experience as a store manager for a coffee shop. I'm good at aptitude tests and interviews. I'm just wondering how heavily they weight experience, obviously I'm fairly new to the CS, at least I have some previous management experience.

Any tips for competing or stories to share that might help any of us?

It's the numerical reasoning, verbal reasoning and situational judgment aptitude tests that you need to practice for the AP tests. It looks like you purchase the package but access is for a limited time (perhaps 3, 6 or 12 months, it's hard to tell from the website and I can't remember off hand - if you get through them the first time, you won't need them if you're successful). If you purchase the package, you get those three sets of tests and much more, iff memory serves me right.

As noted above, you do get a link from PAS to a number of practice tests, which you can do before the real test. I seem to remember that you could do the practice tests however many times you wanted. You don't have to do them on the day of the test proper, you can practice for a number of days beforehand. Hope this helps and best of luck.

• Advertisement

Clarification: with the full package of tests with this provider, there is access for 12 months, so ignore my reference to 3 and 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bjarbnickixo

Will PAS slap me on the wrist for applying even though i'm not eligible? I just want to see how I fare in these competency tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ritournelle

Thanks a million,that's really helpful and great to know people have used the materials successfully

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Vinoveritas29

Folks, has anyone else noticed that they are drawing more attention to the importance of the form than last year? I'm wondering will there be shortlisting from the forms, as opposed to the video format used previously... Also do you think they'll run the aptitude tests before Christmas? Wondering when to spend the dollars on the practice tests!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

Yes, seems to spell out that it's aptitude tests, followed by shortlisting based on forms. The recent PO competition was straight to interview after the tests and the most recent HEO competition was aptitude tests, followed by shortlisting based on forms where candidates got a new order of merit. Hopefully that's the way this will go and the dreaded video interview is consigned to history.

I would imagine the testing window will be late November early December.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Nope. They are being paid to entertain your frivolous attempt to apply. Its not until after interview that eligibility is checked I believe.

It's a good opportunity for you to work on your application if nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Galouche

Thanks a mil for sharing this resource, super helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Vinoveritas29

I didn't realise the last HEO had no Video Shortlisting Interview, I got through in 2021 and that did have the video shortlisting, and yes they're horrible... So possibly this one will be form only, that means I really have to put the work in now, aargh! (but thanks)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭CW2022

Sorry to jump on this, but does anyone know when the next Open HEO competition is likely to be?

CO and EO competitions already this year.

Im in Public service so would need to apply to an open competition.

thanks

• Advertisement

I have an AP interview (internal) very soon. Would anyone be able to PM me some questions I’m likely to get asked? Would be very appreciative. Thks

Advertisement