Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2022 Assistant Principal Competition - Open and Interdepartmental

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 patty79

Hi All. I got my department offer. It's the department of government procurement. Does anyone know anything about this department. I'm leaning towards turning it down which is disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Swilly22

Can you ask to speak to someone in there before deciding? I did. Not familiar at all with that area sorry. Itd be so unfortunate to turn it down after all you've been through to get this far. I have ended up in an area very different to my previous experience as have many of my new colleagues. Its a huge learning curve & daunting at times but doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 littleb

I’ve had some engagement with OGP on cross-gov committees and those who I have worked with are very nice and helpful. They are based near the Point and have WFH. Work is obviously self explanatory but it’s a mix of practical and policy.

Thanks for that. I spoke with hr and it was an account manager role not procurement or policy. No match in any way to my skills and experience and complete opposite direction of where I want to go. Ive had to turn it down as I would rather stay ina role that I enjoy a grade lower than do something I have no interest in. Always knew this was a possibility but it's so frustrating they make you go through the effort of clearance and vetting before telling you the department and area. Its just a waste of everyone's time. I've been removed from the panel now and will need to reapply.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 littleb

Looking for a bit of guidance on the strategic analysis exercise options. I presume the report and presentation is hypothetical however did anybody experience one of the options being something they actually delivered on and if so what was your approach. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Sweeps McKenzie

Hi - have any more people been called forward for presentation and interview for the most recent batch? I say this because I only scored 100 in the most recent round of shortlisting, and they had only been calling people with 135 or higher for the time being - but I gather from this thread that interviews and results had been finished for those candidates?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tommy Crowne

Hi, just for a general update, and @Sweeps above, I placed roughly 1450 (open) after the original results issued in early 2023. I was shortlisted at 'stage 2' a few months ago in February, scoring a total >115. I have just been informed earlier this week that I have an interview date scheduled for early May. Hope this is of use to a few.

Hi Tommy, many thanks for that update.

In the message you got this week, did PAS happen to mention they are now proposing to interview people with a shortlisting score of 110 or over, or anything like that? Or did they just tell you you have an interview date?

In any case, best of luck to you with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tommy Crowne

@Sweeps, PAS didn't mention a shortlisting score sorry. Just a generic, 'I refer to your application for the above-mentioned competition and I am pleased to inform you that you are now being invited to the next stage of the process Stage 3…'

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pphelan

Deleted.

• Advertisement

Hi @Tommy, no bother- many thanks for the clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pphelan

Hi I’m in a similar situation for a region outside Dublin. Did you contact PAS?

I’ve also be given an OOM for Dublin. Does anyone know where they are in terms of calling people forward for clearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭countyireland12345

The same thing happened me - the placement was operational and not policy which is what I do now and really enjoy. As you say, a waste of everyone's time. PAS/DPER need to reform their recruitment processes and make them fit for the modern world.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 markyp1988

@countyireland12345 where did you get offered if you don’t mind me asking. I’m currently working in a policy area too and am worried about this happening as I’ve no interest in ops (though I knew it was a risk!)

This is so interesting. I have long civil service experience in operational role and am now in an AP policy role. So very different. Enjoying learning something new but I think I'll be aiming to go back in a few years. So sorry to see people having to turn down roles as it doesn't suit their skill sets & preferences especially after passing such a tough competition. Itd be interesting to see if PAS are getting this feedback & if recruitment processes change

I'm so sorry to hear this outcome for you. How disappointing

@Swilly22 it really baffles me that they don’t do skills matching at AP level. When I was an AO, I completed a skills match form and was placed in a role suited to my background and qualifications. Was hoping a similar form would be shared as part of AP clearance but it doesn’t seem to be the case. It is unfortunate really but I won’t lose hope until the offer comes in!

Even the HR person was a little confused when he asked my background. You couldn't get more polar opposite experience and roles. Skills matching or preferences if departments would be very helpful but just telling us before we have to submit all the Garda vetting and clearance stuff. Like other people have to process that and out time into those and just a waste of energy. It's also delaying someone else getting offered the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

I have an AP Panel Interview w/ Revenue coming up shortly. Has anyone any ideas on the format and type of questions I am likely to get asked. I am familiar with competency based interviews and STAR method. My main issue is really (1) what questions tend to get asked (2) how many questions am I likely to get asked for each competency.

I know there are no rules as such, and each interview will vary. But I am just wondering how it generally works.

I was expecting questions that were somewhere along the lines of "tell us about a project you worked on that demonstrated your leadership qualities". But when I was talking to someone else about it, they had said the questions are a lot trickier than that.

Is there anywhere (paid or otherwise) that might help me prepare for it? I have seen a few "mock interview" type services - are they any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 OnwardsandUpwards

Does anyone know if PAS takes any preferences you might have for Department, location or role into account before offering you a position? Do you have to go through clearance before being offered a position? Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 OnwardsandUpwards

Post edited by OnwardsandUpwards on

@OnwardsandUpwards from other discussions that were had on this thread, it doesn’t sound like they do. Rather, you are assigned whatever position is available when you complete clearance. Would be great to hear if anyone else here has expressed an interested to PAS in a department/area and was successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭countyireland12345

It was an agency of one the Departments. I'd no interest in the role, the agency nor the Department really.

I understand that even the HSE operates panels differently, you are asked to express an interest in a vacancy, then the OOM kicks in, those who don't express an interest keep their OOM and stay on the panel for the next vacancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Mister R

I expressed preference for my own department but on the Interdepartmental was offered a different one, now at the same time my local HR had not requested to keep me or had a vacancy so wasn't just PAS, local HR told me they do now have upcoming AP vacancy and did request to PAS to keep me if I am called on Open. But I will still wait and see what happens if this occurs.

But for anyone who's not looking to stay in an existing Department or is joining from the open as new to the civil service then I don't think they take any preferences into account. It is a flaw in the system particularly as they are at other levels looking more at skills and preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Kirbi

PAS don't take preferences into account at all, but the employers can tag you - any of the Depts/Offices, not just one you already work in.

So, if you're particularly interested in working in a certain place, you can make contact with their HR, send them a CV, etc.

If they have a vacancy, and you have relevant training or experience, then it's probably better for them than taking a random person.

Unfortunately not and I had to turn my offer down as it was completely different to my skill set. The make you go through clearance etc before they give you the offer which means when you refuse you get removed from the panel. Very frustrating.

@Kirbi thanks for this. Would you say the best time to contact a department’s HR would be when you’re going through clearance or close to the top of the panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JSF223

@markyp1988 any idea where PAS are on the panel? Or anyone else have any latest insights? TIA.

@JSF223 i got a response from PAS at the start of this month that said they hadn’t started clearance for anyone in batch 3.3 for the Dublin open and were still clearing batch 3.2. Not sure how many people are left in that batch to be cleared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Kirbi

@markyp1988

I would make contact once I passed interview to establish a relationship and make the initial ask, and then notify them once you're in clearance (assuming the first overture went well).

Advertisement