Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2022 Assistant Principal Competition - Open and Interdepartmental

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭HydroTendonMan

Thanks, and best of luck with it.

I was notified of my interview date 3 weeks in advance and given the topics 9 days before interview. You have a week to do it once the topics issue

• Registered Users Posts: 17 littleb

Thanks a million, great to have an idea of a timeline between notification and interview 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Newbie1992

Hi all,

New entrant to civil service (hopefully) received my invite to stage 3 and I am completely thrown with the presentation. What would people suggest in terms of formatting it, I don't know what is the best way to approach the topic within 2 pages and 5 slides. Feeling completely out of my depth with this part. Any tips or pointers would be gratefully accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

To add to the above folks, bit unsure of my self regarding the presentation too. Should the report be seen as a separate entity almost to the presentation? I don't want to read the report at them, but I'm fairly sure I saw someone say notes aren't allowed (although how they would police this I'm not sure as we'll be screen sharing). I don't mind talking around slides without notes normally but given the time is so tight and there are definite markers that need to be hit in terms of the competencies I think it needs more structure. Any advice from those of you that have been through this torture already would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Swilly22

I kept my slides fairly simple with headings and bullet points. My report had all of the required information. I found it tight getting it to 2 pages. I decided to prepare a narration, what I wanted to say for each slide while considering the competencies. I went over it again and again timing it to for just under the 10 mins. I added things to this that weren't in my report such as I read X report or I watched X debate. Show you researched thoroughly. Its a lot of work with tough time constraints but to be fair, now working in this role, its fair reflection of my daily duties. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

Thanks so much for that Swilly, that's great advice. I really am finding it very time consuming and as you say, getting the report down to 2 pages without the quality being compromised will be a challenge. I find it very hard to believe that anyone spending just 3 hours on this exercise (as recommended in the booklet) would have much hope of passing it!

You're right, 3 hours would not suffice at all. It's a very tough process. I now see why, the job is tough. Even if you have no topics yet, pick a PowerPoint template and a format for your report. Read Programme for Governement to get an idea of whats going on. Maybe read through your application aloud and time it to get a rough idea how many words for you are 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Onion87

The presentation should mirror the report. It is a tool to guide them through the report. So it should include bullet points from the report. It's all the same content. Pick the topic you know most about, concentrate on ONE policy or strategy and then just work your arse off reading the various documents published by govt on said topic, and wider discourse around topic. You're not expected to solve a complex problem in ten mins but you're expected to identify well thought out policy recommendations. If you can demonstrate that you've done that you'll be ok. Three hours is a joke, don't mind that! You'll be doing it morning noon and night for 7 days!! Rehearse your Powerpoint and get it under 10 mins. Keep slides simple and as little text as possible. A few sentences on each slide. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gargoyle711

Me also! Waiting to hear which section and for contract...

You can show me the ropes when I get there!

No way, you're coming to DFHERIS? I'm only week 4 but very happy to meet or message me if you wish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 AlexWH

Hi All

Just an update for anyone waiting to hear.

I was batch 3.3 (interview end of January and results early February). I am on the open only panel and got OOM 22.

I emailed PAS last week (5th) and they advised the following.

"Currently, there are approx. 20 candidates ahead of you to be called for clearance before your position is reached".

From someone else on this panel there were approx 30 ahead of me the week of results so they are moving at about 3 per week.

Hi all,

Just to follow up on my previous question, I sat my interview last Friday the board were friendly and in terms of the questions asked about the presentation they were straight forward...why did you pick this...what did you learn from the policy you reviewed...any surprises etc. Nothing to throw you off once you had the research done.

In terms of the interview - did not focus solely on the examples in the application form but rather give me an example of XYZ nothing to stop you discussing your example on the form but gave you freedom to maybe bring in other examples. All in all was happy with how I came across. Some time was spent on what I knew about the civil service values etc as I am coming from the outside and why I want to join etc. One thing that gave me pause was the review of your education to date -I was asked about a particular degree I had completed and asked what key elements of this could I bring with me into the role of an AP. Had to think about that one.

As for turn around time - I am not sure how long before I hear back on how I did. Regardless looking forward to requesting feedback as a learning tool going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 busher07

Hi thanks for the information on your interview it is very helpful. Do you know when the results are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 May o Shea

In the last interdepartmental AP competition i.e., 2022 was there an etray?

Hi. No etray. 3 tests, numerical, verbal reasoning and situational judgment

• Registered Users Posts: 8 patty79

Hi All, I am going through clearance at the moment. Could anyone tell me at what point they tell you what department and role you'll be going to. I like the job I'm in at the moment but its a grade vii so would like to move up. I don't want to end up somewhere i don't enjoy though.

I received a provisional offer 2 days after providing my clearance docs. I was an InterD candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Shels1

I had hoped that results would be out before the Easter having done the interview just over two week ago, hopefully next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 markyp1988

Has anyone from batch 3.3 for Dublin open been called for clearance yet? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 8 patty79

Im 3.2 and got called for clearance this week. They seem to be moving quickly enough at the moment though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 amilovarb33

Anyone from the north know how long it takes to apply for a PPS number? It seems to be the last hurdle for me after clearance…

• Registered Users Posts: 6 May o Shea

Thank you , I hope there's no etray either in the next interdepartmental which presumably will be when the 2022 one expires at the end of October.

Just received word today of my place on panel don't know what or when it will progress. Can anyone tell me what happens next, does an offer come through saying a position available here do you want it or do you have to do anything else before being told where the position for. Slightly worried about what department I might get not many in my locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 busher07

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JSF223

Also got the good news yesterday that I've made the panel. Absolutely delighted. Suppose its now a waiting game, but at least the hard part is over. Am I right in saying PAS is still pulling from 3.2? This thread has been super helpful so thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Gadgetman99

When they get to your oom number they will ask you to complete garda clearance. Once passed they will ask you if you want to accept an assignment of X Department, if you say yes they will assign you on their system. They generally give you a HR contact and that they will be in touch with you. You're new HR will go through signing a contract etc. and agreeing a start date.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Gadgetman99

You get told the Department when they make you the offer. They don't always tell you what area you are going to as that's up to the new Department, who you can follow up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 markyp1988

@JSF223 got confirmation from PAS yesterday that they are still clearing batch 3.2 for the open panel. Seems to have slowed down a bit. Based off my placement at the start of March versus now, they only placed about 6 people last month. Hopefully will pick up for April!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FlexBrowne

Still waiting. #1 on Open and #2 InterD for Wexford. No vacancies in my current job. An Internal I also passed closed before reaching me. I know we have until October but it's getting very frustrating now! Should I ring PAS and ask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Flappidyflap

Have seen October being mentioned as cut off for this competition. How come it's only 2 years from when advertised...are civil service panels not usually two years from 1st appointment? Which must have been in the new year 2023.

Advertisement