Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Justice (Incitement to Violence or Hatred and Hate Offences) Bill 2022 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The Referendums on March 6th has them all spooked....I don't think any of them saw it coming, which is nuts considering the amount they spend on strategists and pr people.

The entity that played the biggest role in those disastrous polls was the NWCI, now a public laughing stock who must surely be politically impotent now, arguably they cost a Taoiseach his job, it is probably dawning on the parties, in particular, the backbenchers that entities like the NWCI and the other NGO's who are pushing this bill are toxic to the general public who will in the very near future get another opportunity to give all of them another good kicking...

How long will it be until the Soc Dems are the only party supporting this draconian authoritarian legislation? Mind you, the Soc Dems and the NWCI are virtually indistinguishable anyway.

This would all be thoroughly entertaining if the stakes weren't so high!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Yes it does. Look at the proposed Scottish version. You don’t like it but that is exactly the nonsense that is going on.

No it doesn't.

Why would I look at a Scottish version when the wording of the actual bill is available for anyone to read? I advise you do so because you clearly don't understand what you are discussing.

Yes that was the line during the last referendum. However, we did understand and we did reject it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Virgin Media debate on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tarvis

Once again lots of heat but little light and an almost complete avoidance of the word Gender - this legislation should not be pushed thro without the gender issue coming into the light of day on MSM - No discussion is not working and is creating division.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

The "issue" is Ireland's self-ID law. It needs to be repealed and distinctions between sex and the belief system of "gender identity" made clear in law - but that will involve a very well funded and loud section of Irish society (the section that made government think the referendums earlier this month would breeze through) will get very loud on Twitter/X and start screaming about genocide and Nazis and far right and whatnot. And as we've seen, politicians are really very sensitive to that and would rather kamikaze their parties into the ground than withstand the tantrums of so-called progressives.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Can you give me, say, three right-wing positions that are not "far right"?

Because I suspect you're just a fascist hiding dark triad traits behind a facade of progressivism so that you can designate your fellow citizens "filth" and cheer on their persecution.

Happy to be proved wrong.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,681 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What is it specifically about gender that you think isn’t being discussed or hasn’t been discussed in mainstream media, that you think they’ve discussed any of the other protected characteristics to any greater extent? There’s a list of ‘em:

(a) race

(b) colour

(c) nationality

(d) religion

(e) national or ethnic origin

(f) descent

(g) gender

(h) sex characteristics

(i) sexual orientation

(j) disability

The current legislation (Prohibition of Incitement to Hatred) is here:

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1989/act/19/enacted/en/print#sec1

And the proposed bill is an update of that one (pretty much a copy and paste job tbh):

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/bill/2022/105/eng/ver_b/b105b22d.pdf

I don’t imagine they’re likely to remove any of the protected characteristics from that list, because they’re the protected characteristics which the legislation is intended to prevent from inciting hatred against anyone on the basis of those protected characteristics.

Both Simon and Helen have rejected calls to scrap the bill, in spite of earlier assertions that the bill is dead in the water (it was never going to be dead in the water):

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-41361103.html

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/justice-minister-resists-calls-to-ditch-hate-speech-legislation-1606390.html

Sinn Féin are doing nothing more blatant than they have always done - attempted to appeal to populist positions in the hope of keeping their own heads above water in the face of their falling popularity in the polls, showing the electorate why they really can’t be trusted to govern their own party, never mind a nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

If this goes through I hope FG get a hammering at the next election - it’s a fascist law plain and simple - we’re sleeping walking into a much more controlling state

Your post is worth quoting again - how did we get to such a position? We really need to shout more as citizens and voters

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Get a load of this

"Ever member of the LGBT+ community knows what it's like to feel afraid"

No they effing don't ya big melodramatic queen, I've never felt afraid over being same sex attracted in my life. If I told him I'd felt afraid because of the increasing number of Islamic people being admitted to to the country would he do something about that? NO!

I don't want or need any special characteristic protections other than in areas of employment and the provision of goods and services.

Oh and comments turned off for people who don't agree with him. A politician who only listens to specific people. Great.

edit:typo

Post edited by AllForIt on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Hes an awful eegit, that's the nicest thing i can say about o'riordain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭dalyboy

“Oh and comments turned off for people who don't agree with him. A politician who only listens to specific people. Great”

He never allows anyone comment on YouTube either. Always “ turned off comment's”

I wonder what he’s afraid of !

I will always remember this guy during the covid travel ban. If this guy was in power we would probably be still locked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Your post should be pinned at the top of most threads like this one....because you have what most of us had 10-20 years ago and back....common sense.

There are too many "causes" aka: bandwagons now for these Aodhan's to virtue signal about.

He knows how every member feels because he personally went around and interviewed them....this trumps anyone else and he even made a talking head video in case you doubted his sincerity.

Instead of society dividing us into all these smaller groups why don't we just have one motto that can be put on a placard and carried at marches if that is your thing....."All Lives Matter" or "We are all equal under the law".

100% Oscar!

I see they are now rowing back because of the 'online misinformation'.

Totally agree....I know the referendums (both of which I voted No:No) made me rethink my vote for the first time in nearly 40 years being a loyal voter.

I hate to talk like an 'extremist right winger' or 'conspiracy theorist' but I sense a different mood....everything I read online tells me there are tens of thousands who are now feeling like I am.

Their PR guys must have spent a lot of time online to try and earn their way back to keeping their jobs too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I think the following confirms what we already knew about this legislation, that it has been demanded by the EU and NGO's. Something that must happen.

Meet Luna Liboni, an Italian national who is a Senior Policy Officer (Equality & Hate Crime) and the Chair of the Coalition Against Hate Crime Ireland who moved (sent*) to Ireland to coordinate (push*) the CAHC, which is an umbrella group of state-funded NGOs in Ireland with the ICCL (Irish Council for Civil Liberties) at the heart of this bill. Liboni has experience working within non-profit organizations and European institutions, including as a Project & Communication manager for a sexual orientation and Gender identity unit. Her NGO employment history is something else

In Italy, Liboni worked for CILD, (Italian Coalition for Civil Liberties and Rights), which received funding and is supported by Open Society Foundations. George Soros who created and ran the OSF (now run by his son) gave €53,000 to ICCL chief Liam Herrick, who did not declare the donation to the Standards in Public Office (Sipo) Commission.

• More: The OSF funded Amnesty International's abortion referendum campaign in Ireland, €137,000 over the 2 year period. It gave to other liberal & abortion-reform orgs too: Irish Family Planning Association (€127,000), and Abortion Rights Campaign (€25,000). Between 2018 & 2020 the ICCL received a total of €244,560 from the Open Society Foundation. Only 4% of the ICCL’s funding in 2020 alone came from membership fees and individual donations. And yet they claim to be "entirely independent" from government funding and big business.
    • The ICCL claimed they are prohibited from accepting donations of over €100, referring to the 1997 Electoral Act. Incorrect claim. The law they blamed does prohibit NGOS from using foreign funding for political purposes, and roughly 80% of the ICCL's funding comes from abroad. They've done this for many years.

When I saw Luna Liboni working with the ICCL and what I knew, the above...utter subversion of democracy. She needs to go home.

Completely!!! Scottish police announce they are not investigate “minor offences like burglary” (which is not minor, the feeling of violation of somewhere you should feel safe) - yet they can turn up to investigate a meme.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The weekly marches of hate every Saturday while waving a watermelon picture will be fertile ground for reporting crimes under this bill.

Yeah let’s not fall asleep at the wheel again - this would have been draconian legislation close to thought crime - it’s not the way we want our society.

It was being discussed on radio the other week - even if I had a poster in my own home saying @EIREHotspur is a %#*$£ , I could be arrested and charged - I didn’t need to go out on the street parading it .

Im nowhere near a conspiracy theorist in any shape or form but I’ve watched a two hour BBC documentary on how China controls its people and it’s not at all a pleasant place to be - this legislation is straight from China and should be burned - I also don’t want Natzis leading me so I won’t be voting FG next election - they can fck off with their controlling ways

They will Oscar....as will every other party voting for it.

Independants will almost double I think from 20-35/40

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

The ICCL #StandByMe campaign has 684 out of the requested 1000 signatures for their petition to the justice minister

Free Speech Ireland #BinTheBill currently has 18,493 after surpassing 10k & 15k goals, the new goal is now 30,000..

The Eu is interfering along with the NGOs... Sign the petitions

No in this instance that would fall under my definition of free speech so I would never report you Oscar....and well because maybe occasionally your poster might be right 🤣

I am the same....everything I say I reread before posting so I can be sure I do not sound like a conspiracy nut.

China is a totalatarian state but even look at Scotland/England with their crazy soft gag laws now.

Cala in the US....and we don't even have the luxury of moving States if we don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

When is this bill due to come before the Oireachtas? Will FG be brave enough to do it before an election?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

I'd say Minister McBarbie is chomping at the bit to get it included before more people twig.

Disturbing to see someone last night constantly refer to "75% of people are against hate crime". Damn right they are.

But a tasteless joke, off colour meme or God forbid stating a general biological fact should not require police attention!

Advertisement