Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Justice (Incitement to Violence or Hatred and Hate Offences) Bill 2022 - Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Hes a weird creepy guy.

Exactly. If I had my way he'd be behind bars, just like the rest of the far right scum, who are nothing but a danger to our dear democracy.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Economics101

So being "far right scum" warrants being put behind bars. Not just Musk, but "the rest" of them. This is straightforward far left political totlaiitarianism. And is anyone who questions this legislation to be labelled "far right"?

I'm a bit agnostic on the merits of the legislation myself, but the instant rush to label dissent as "far right" and lock 'em up is dangerous.

And in case you have any doubt, I have nothing but contempt for Musk,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭lmao10

Hes just trolling. He's probably got an Elon poster in his bedroom. I remember a poster here calling Elon "Mr. Musk" lol. The far right love him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I'd go a step further, he should be locked up and all his money and assets seized by Leo and our overlords to do with as they see best for us serfs.

Leo and the gang, they are looking out for us, our simple minds cannot fully comprehend their wisdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Had this law already been in place the guards would have been able to easily solve the problem in Roscrea by locking up all those "far right" grannies and their cohort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Are you suggesting that those in Roscrea were inciting violence?

Of course he/him/they were. The silent majority of the liberal minded will eventually have their day, trust me. Once this legislation is in place a quick 999 will stop the spread of hate and bigotry!!!

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

You should probably not take your information from one person iwn Twitter.

I would advise reading the proposed legislation, then reading comments by educated people, legal experts etc

Then make your own mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

The European Union's first directive on combatting violence against women and domestic violence will not include the crime of rape, after a number of countries including Ireland, could not agree on a legal definition

So that's Hate, Woman and Rape the state cannot define. What in the actual f*ck is going on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,240 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The state can define rape; there's a definition in the Criminal Law (Rape) Act 1981 and an extended definition in the Criminal Law (Rape) (Amendment) Act, 1990. The problem is that other countries, who can also define rape, define it differently. The Irish definition focuses on lack of consent; some other countries define rape in a way that requires the use or threat of force. (If force is not used or threatened, it's still an offence in these countries, but a lesser offence than rape.)

This disparity of definitions means that any European Directive will apply differently in different member states depending on how they define "rape" and several countries, including Ireland, see this as a problem, and as potentially creating legal barriers to the enforcement of the directive. Those countries call for a harmonised definition of "rape" to avoid this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Hungry Burger

The people on this thread advocating this legislation have gone full on Stalinist. To use a well loved phrase amongst left wing commentators online “Yikes!”

The Digital Services Bill was passed in the Dáil yesterday after a debate that lasted 20 minutes. I'm not surprised as it flew through each stage.Sinn Féin’s Louise O’Reilly was the only TD to table an amendment which was to ensure that once in place the “trusted flaggers” would be ideologically reliable” but the thing is, “trusted flaggers” can be government organizations, NGOs, consumer orgs & semi-public bodies. Her amendment

At the Committee stage on January 17th, she stated “respected entity of institute, or whatever you might call it,” who might hold “very fixed views in regard to women accessing healthcare.” By Healthcare, Louise means abortion. She is referring to the Iona Institute. "Ideologically reliable” the hypocrite. The response from the Minister for State Dara Calleary caught my attention, that the EU Regulation did not allow for any national parliament of a member state to change the decree. That, in itself, is an indication of where the sovereignty of the Irish state is at these days. 

This Bill is no different from the Hate Speech Bill except it is policed by the government other politicized puppets and the NGO sector. Not by the Gardai.

That is nothing to do with it.

Different countries have different definitions for rape. In Ireland and others it means 'without consent' in some countries the offender must use force.

Laws are already in place for arson. They're just making sh*t up at this stage. Do they hate the building ...

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Marcos

Strange that she only surfaces now when European elections are looming. she is the definition of the invisible MEP. Must be worried about losing her place on the gravy train.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

This morning in the Dail, Green TD Patrick Costello told the Dáil he doesn't have confidence in ability of Drew Harris and Gardaí to prevent further targeting (and possible arson attacks) of accommodation for asylum seekers - citing Gardaí inability to see material that is shared publicly online....

This is still very off

Inciting protests? Inciting something that we've a legal right to do, will now be made illegal? What a head ****.

This is from the same state that allowed protests that should have been illegal during covid, all because said protests were for a "righteous" cause.

And yesterday Varadkar stated people who protested against planned refugee accommodation centers that caught fire need to be “held accountable for their silence”...... so a thought crime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

"And I have to say, while I think many protesters may very well be decent people and good people, I don’t believe that protesters who spent the entire day and the entire night outside a building didn’t see anything before the building burned down.

“And they need to be held accountable for their silence and complicitness, in my view.”

So that's a misrepresentation, he's referring to people who aren't divulging information in relation to the crimes. So in effect protecting the criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,641 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It was a pre arranged meeting, he should know the "attackers" if not a set up

I'm skeptical on this fella

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why did the government not put a definition of what hate is in the legislation?

Why did they not out a definition on a lot of things that go before the courts?

because the courts can decide.

we already have ' hate legislation ' the doesn't have a definition of 'hate '

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

we already have ' hate legislation ' the doesn't have a definition of 'hate '

So why do you support this new legislation then?

I was thinking about the referendum and the absolute sh*te show surrounding it, particularly the leak of the attorney generals advice which O'Gorman refused to release to the public. I thought of McEntee and the advice she got from the AG telling us...

• On the strong advice of the Office of the Attorney General, we have not sought to limit the definition of the widely understood concept of 'hatred' beyond its ordinary and everyday meaning.

What is the 'strong advice' from the Attorney General that has made McEntee not look to limit the definition of hate?

• It is the definition which has been used by the courts, the gardaí and the Director of Public Prosecutions.

If the definition thats being used by the courts, the gardaí and the DPP, then why not include it?

• I am advised that defining it further at this juncture could risk prosecutions collapsing and victims being denied justice."

Well, thats convenient.

Given that this bill was passed through the Dáil with next to no pushback and it being the same government and NGO's ardently cheerleading both the referendum and this bill, should we not be entitled to know the advice of the attorney general issued to McEntee. Not that the leak of the AG notes made a difference, but it proved the lies told by O'Gorman and the warnings from the likes of Senator McDowell correct. I know theres a difference between a referendum to amend the constitution and legislating law but after the leak, my trrust in gov has been incinerated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭monseiur

This legalization should be binned, our minister for Justice is way our of her depth & not fit for purpose and should be transferred to another ministry. She has no long term plans or vision for the future safety & security of the state and it's citizens, just reacting to the woke brigade on social media.

Morale in the garda is on the floor, crime is rampant, it's easier to get illegal drugs now than a packet of cigarettes. The garda Commissioner is not even on speaking terms with his force, he was not invited to their AGM - that speaks volumes. A competent minister would have solved the long running embarrassing saga months ago.

Heard Willie Daly TD from Limerick on radio today, he made a lot of sense. He said that we have more than enough rules & regulations on our statute books, but we lack the boots on the ground to enforce them.

Fianna Fáil Minister for Finance Michael McGrath indicated to rte news that Govt will proceed with its hate crime legislation, despite calls for it to be paused by some no campaigners from. over the weekend. Some. He said: "Government has made commitments... We shouldn't ignore the reality that there is a problem in parts of society, particularly on social media, and we don't want to be a country that is tolerant of people inciting hate.".....as in their commitments to Brussels? I find this rich that he says we shouldn't ignore reality. The complete lack of self awareness of McGrath and the others is mind bogging.

Fianna Fáil TD John McGuinness was on newstalk talking about how "The leadership of government is tone-deaf" and that more pressing issues like immigration, housing and heath-care etc must be resolved while calling for the hate speech laws to be abandoned. McGuinness voted in favour of the hate speech laws when it was in the dail.

Fianna Fáils Limerick TD Willie O’Dea

“Fianna Fáil needs to get back to basics & abandon the Hate Speech Bill etc. Focus on Housing, Health and Law & Order and stop playing to the woke gallery.

As Police in Scotland refuse to investigate actual crimes, their new "hate crime" law will go live in April. Their law is similar to what is proposed in our bill but theirs will criminalise speech in your own home while encouraging family and neighbours to report them. Sounds familiar. A law that allows Police to search the property & anyone present if they believe (perception) "hate" is happening. A law where edgy memes will get you a fined or time in prison. Perception of racism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭AllForIt

April 1st, appropriately enough.

Apparently there will be designated reporting centres, for your convenience.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/hate-crime-law-glasgow-lgbt-sex-shop-designated-official-reporting-centre-for-controversial-new-laws-4553231

Glasgow LGBT+ sex shop designated official reporting centre for controversial new laws

Advertisement