Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

But that's mates in a private group. The people on MOTD, are not your mates. They're public. So wanting to have some all-male time with your mates is fine. MOTD isn't your private friend group, so it's deluded to think you can speak for the public as if it was your private friend group.

Some people were mentioned women commentating on and being panellists for men's football. I don't see why it's unreasonable to have men do the commentary for the men's game and women for the women's game.

More men play and watch football, and whether you like it or not, there is more money in the men's game because of this. Yet television people seem to insist on more and more women getting involved in men's football.

I've (partly) watched Football Focus on BBC1 for the past three Saturdays, and today is the first time there were more men than women in the studio discussing the football. The previous two weeks it was two women and one man. Last week, the outside broadcast section was to a female player who had just taken up tattooing…so let's see how she's getting on! 🙄 What has that got to do with football?

I wonder if Alan Hansen would be available to do a fashion piece on This Morning or The One Show…

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I suppose it depends if you enjoy mixed company or not. Do you not have male friends to have time with only men?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The wolf tones shouldn't be allowed play electric picnic, they are clearly big IRA supporters, why give them the publicity? main stage wtf? Has Ireland not moved passed all that "come out you black and tans" sectarian nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

My "MCO"

But it's not an opinion, it is a fact..

Every time a male and female meet for the first time, the male has done a one second "would I" evaluation.

Every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They draw people and make money.

They will argue that it's Irish culture.

They're retiring afaik so you won't have to put up with them for long more unless there's a Continuity Wolfe Tones.

Disclosure: not a fan and lyrics of many of their tunes are blatantly sectarian, but somehow acceptable to young people who "cancel" anything else.

• Advertisement

People who are obsessed with fame and money are bad people and not to be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

People today who have been diagnosed with Autism and who say (with a degree of pride I might add) "I'm on the spectrum" or "Since my diagnosis" are gobshites.

Having a mild form of autism where you can live perfectly normal perfectly functioning life without too many major difficulties like James McClean and Chris Packham for example is not that big a deal and people really need to stop banging on about it.You see it all the time in recent years where it's become very common to talk about and feel like it's some sort of an achievement to be diagnosed with autism and something to be proud of.It neither is something to be ashamed of or proud of it is just the way you were and I suspect a very large proportion of people over the years would qualify as being on the autism spectrum if they had got it tested.

There are people with very debilitating forms of autism who will never live normal lives, my cousins son has autism and he's probably never going to be able to live independently and needs a carer to take him to school, Paul Scholes son can't live a normal life because of his autism.For people like that it's a very serious condition and I can't imagine how tough it must be for them and their families but lumping all mild forms of autism in with serious cases as if they are even close to the same thing and we should be concerned with them on all the same level is nonsense.There seems to have been a fetishinsation of the milder forms of autism in recent years.

Just like people who have suffered with mild depression and anxiety are not remotely to be put in the same category as people with severe mental illnesses like Schizophrenia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

People love to some form of a disorder these days and doesn't matter how mild it may be they'll wear it like some kind of badge of honour. Social media is the worst for it, people making it their whole personality. It's bizzare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Cordell

Some people are using being on the spectrum, ADHD or ADD as an excuse for being arseholes. Some other people instead of owning the fact they like order and tidiness they hide behind some invented diagnosis of OCD without realising how bad that condition actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I'd most likely fall into the category of somebody that lives a pretty normal life. However, my teenage life was pretty atrocious in part due to a lack of any diagnosis. Most of my personal issues are unknown to those around me. I pretty much almost gave my self a nervous breakdown due to exhausting myself from masking. I'll tell people I trust about it but that's largely it but it's been pretty important for me to understand how to look after myself and accept aspects of self that I tried to reject.

And I don't think anyone is lumping in all forms of autism together. The point is that it can largely manifest in different ways and openness about it means that people who do need supports can get them. Cause less extreme points on the spectrum can be incredibly difficult in their own way. Fyi, McClean got his diagnosis after his daughter's cause he had suspicions as a result.

Overall I'm not sure what impact it has upon you or anyone else. But for the people on the spectrum, it can be pretty important to identify it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭cms88

They're the perfect Armchair Republican. They give it but don't like when it's given back. As someone has said they pass it off as ''Irish Culture''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

That's fair enough.

I suppose my post is about the people who with almost a sense of pride saying "I'm on the spectrum" as if it's an achievement.I just think there has been a fetisisation of autism like conditions where people are almost happy to have so they can appear like a more interesting individual.

One of my cousins hasn't stopped blabbing on about "since I got my diagnosis" when there is essentially nothing really wrong with her.

I suspect a very high proportion of people would be on the Autism spectrum if they got tested for it but most people don't even get tested. I have a lot of traits associated with mild forms of autism as I've noticed over the years and I suspect I could be diagnosed with autism as well (like my cousin above) if I went to be tested for it.

Newstalk interviewed one of them the other day about them playing the main stage at electric picnic, yer one Andrea Gilligan was having a great laugh with the guy, you would think it was Daniel O Donnell she was interviewing, and Newstalk would be all over any republican violence, condemning it but lets interview this guy whose whole life is singing sectarian songs and Andrea talking like its a great thing they are so popular now. 🤦‍♂️

"ooh ah up the RA" "oh that doesn't mean we like the IRA" , "its just graffiti I saw on a wall", oh yeah sure.

so if the singer from wolf tones saw up the UFF graffitied on a wall, would the song have been ooh ah up the UFF ooh ah up the UFF, come on everybody sing along now ooh ah up the UFF ohh ah up the UFF.

Post edited by pgj2015 on

I don't hold it against them. I presume they felt a bit different all their lives and couldn't figure out why they didn't quite fit in. They have jobs and friends and partners, and still didn't experience the world the way most people do. That must be difficult, particularly the early years and adolescence.

And then they find an explanation for not quite experiencing the world the way most people do and it must be a massive relief.

I presume a lot of them thought they were failing in adolescence when everyone is figuring themselves out so they get a second chance to figure themselves out later in life. It's not unusual to talk about something something that significant in your life. And I imagine they'll settle and not talk about it so much a few years after figuring themselves out.

I'll never experience what they went through so I'm just guessing TBH. But I can't hold it against them. People have different experiences.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

That's pretty much my experience, it can effectively be an identity crisis for a person to be unable to understand why they find a lot of traditional things far more difficult while feeling like you never fit in. So there's a lot of baggage around finding something out like that in later life is a lot for the average person to process and for the average autistic person, it's a lot more.

Post edited by eightieschewbaccy on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

its ridiculous that Gardaí aren’t armed , with at least Tazers . Watching ITN news where a man with a samurai / knife, killing a 13 yo .While it’s not Ireland it took 22minutes to tazer him . If faced with a psychotic or mentally ill person doing the same in Ireland what can an unarmed garda to but tackle him with no weapon or call for backup from armed units. Ireland has moved on from the days when a firm warning from a Garda will suffice

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Never understood what the issue was wit pjamas. As long as they covered up.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If the shoe was on the other foot, if you had a band playing Loyalist sectarian tunes that would be roundly criticised and cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That would be a great name for a tribute band!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Nonsense… this is just normal life.

"my teenage life was pretty atrocious" - Every teenager ever..

"Most of my personal issues are unknown to those around me." - Again, - Every teenager ever..

"I'll tell people I trust about it " - Don't, they don't care about your feelings.

Do you understand that a "Diagnosis" is only an opinion?

Make the most of your life and stop looking for reasons (that it's not your fault) it's not as good as you expected.

• Advertisement

I don't think you have any right to comment on if I have autism firstly. Secondly, maybe you should cop on a little bit and not comment on an individuals lived experience that you have no knowledge of. It's ignorant as ****. You don't know me. Bye now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭randd1

Israel is by far the lesser of two evils in comparison to Islamic fundamentalist jihadists like Hamas and Hezbollah, and has an infinitely better way of life than what any Islamic country will ever offer, and is ultimately right to see this as a war of survival as the Palestinians have no interest in peace.

And that Irish people siding with Hamas and Hezbollah or chanting "From the River to the Sea" are too stupid to realise they're actually advocating for genocide.

I don't see a particularly good guy between isreal, Iran, saudi. I certainly don't see any of them as countries I would want to support.

And I don't think I'd have a lot in common with the Palestinian people. I imagine our outlooks would be quite different.

But that's not how I decide what's right and wrong. The Palestinians deserve autonomy. I couldn't tell you of they want peace because they haven't had equality. They've been oppressed and people who are oppressed are entitled (maybe even obliged?) to fight back.

So to say they don't want peace is untestable in history so far. The same was said of Ireland before we got independance. It turns out we didnt want war, we just wanted to not be oppressed.

Harsh. If someone tells me they have a diagnosis I generally just take them at their word. I don't ask for a note from their oncologist or whatever other medical professional.

What difference does it make anyway? You don't treat people with an autism diagnosis differently, they are the ones who have been adapting their behaviour all their lives. It only takes a small bit of empathy for others to get along just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,543 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

There would be no Hamas if it was not for the actions of Israel

Hamas is a militant group Israel is a country , so surely you'd expect that country to be more humane & show better ethics,

Once gain there would be no Hezbollah if not for the actions of Israel ,

You'd want to be a bit mad to invade, occupy & persecute a group of people & then get upset & seem shocked when they fight back ,

For the record i'm not pro anyone i just want it all to stop .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,543 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I disagree,
    Do you really think arming all the Garda in this country is a good idea ? Do you know many Garda would you trust them to have guns & make the correct calls,

How many people would be shot over stupid incidents , How many Garda would get shot by there own weapons,, How many ordinary criminals would suddenly decide they must arm themselves with guns,

Sounds great in theory but would be a nightmare in practise ,

The amount of training to arm all the Garda & to keep them skilled would be insane,

Having ERU is fine for a country of our size right now , More ERU officers is the way to go not arming all Garda ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭randd1

There are plenty of armed Gardaí in the country. In most 24 hour stations, at least one Guard has a gun on them, usually a detective. Then you have the ARU and the likes.

What I'd give the rank and file is more training in hand to hand combat to safely take down people engaging in violent action. It's not even about having the ability to do so, martial arts requires a lot of personal discipline and physical fitness, which wouldn't be the worst things to add to the force.

Maybe have two regular Guards per district armed at all times just in case of something and Gardaí having to complete mandatory firearms training every year, and have a small armoury of 25-30 guns depending on the area held in 24 hour stations for use in exceptional events only. That's only if we had to increase the gun presence in the force.

But guns on the streets? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Have contributed money to the Palestinian side and this has been a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭crusd

Except its not the case. Global demographic data indicates that with current trends global population will start to decline this century and more recent projections could start this process as early as 2050 as birth rates in developing countries have started to fall. By over correcting now we risk a massive demographic hole in future generations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

On the other hand, the Ayn Rand Institute UK YouTube channel clearly has an openly snarky sneering and unhelpful in any way attitude to the conflict.

https://www.youtube.com/%40AynRandInstitute

Advertisement