Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options
  • 25-10-2022 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Here’s mine: The expansion of the EU should’ve stopped in 1995 with Austria, Sweden and Finland.

The 2004 expansion with 10 new countries, (Czechia, Cyprus, Lithuania, Latvia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Hungary, Estonia, Malta, Poland) the 2007 addition of Romania and Bulgaria and 2013 addition of Croatia should never have happened.

We should’ve drawn up the ladder after. I NEVER want to see Ukraine as a member.

I am pro EU. I just don’t want the aforementioned 14 countries in the union.

Not being in Schengen isn’t that bad, at least we can screen potential baddies before they enter Ireland.

mod edit

this thread is for controversial opinions. It’s absolutely a guarantee that you’re going to see something here you wholly disagree with. That is fine. 

You can discuss opinions with the poster if they wish but do not harass them or constantly attempt to change their opinion or POV or go along with yours. 

Secondly & as important to keep in mind at all times a controversial opinion does not mean a free pass to be a racist, homophobe etc. think twice about what you’re about to post if you’re at all unsure & if you want to play it extra safe ask one of the moderators, we’re happy to advise.

Mod edit 2;

Posters on this thread were requested not to derail it by discussion of the Irish women's soccer team.

I see that these requests have been completely ignored.

Therefore posters who do continue to post about the Irish women's soccer team on this thread will face an immediate threadban. 

You have been warned.

Post edited by JupiterKid on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Keep county borders for sporting purposes only. Redraw all the local authority areas based on what makes sense geographically and based on population to deliver the best service.

Blessington and Carnew are so far from the rest of county Wicklow they should be in Kildare and Wexford local authority areas respectively.

There must be dozens of examples of this around the country.

Likewise, local authorities like Meath allowing crazy amounts of development on the Dublin border and Drogheda border. These have huge impact on their neighbours but there isn’t a thing they can do about it. It’s nuts!

Cui bono?

Present levels of wealth inequality in western world is unsustainable,and will eventually come crashing in on itself like communism did in the end

People cheering on the ryanair Twitter account are every bit as lame,as those whom cheer on Elon musk

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d concur regarding the OP’s EU expansion opinion but I’m not sure it’s one which is too controversial. It will become less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

The media are not giving proper due diligence to the lack of regulation for surrogate children.

Instead they celebrate surrogate parents and take up the cause of people who for whatever reason end up having difficulties in the country where the mother is located.

One could be even more controversial and consider this practice as modern day slavery.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

If you ain't got no money, take yo' broke ass home

Donald wasn't that bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Population control.

I debated the subject.

I firmly believe that the state should not encourage more than two children.

They can do this by reducing children's allowance from child 3 by 25%, 4 = 50% and no allowance for child 5 onwards.

Max 3 bedrooms in social housing. No more than 100sqm.

Less population will do far more for the environment than any of the other policies out there.

I won the debate.

The Poolbeg chimneys are a monument to carbon emissions of the past and should be pulled down.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,181 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Anyone I know who's healthy that COVID 'took them out' are the same people who miss circa 4 weeks every year from work with basically milked out of it paper cut illnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Inheritance tax is a very fair tax, perhaps the fairest of all taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

There should be separate supermarkets for men and women. Even separate queues would be a start. Hold ups at checkouts? Usually women. Coming around corners at full speed without any concern for whose approaching? Again usually women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,181 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There should be a sign saying there's no mystery prize where your shopping is free so have your jaysus payment method ready. When there's a family of 9 on a day out going through the checkouts they seem to not have a focused person ready to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭supermans ghost

The only thing that realistically will “save the planet” as Eamon Ryan and his ilk are always prattling on about, isn’t car pooling and preserving bogland, it is a major cull of the human population.

To quote the late great George Carlin, The planet will be fine, the people are f**ked.

Bill Burr also has some very funny observations on how he would hypothetically achieve this, one of which involves surreptitiously sinking cruise ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

According to verifiable EPA ( Environmental Protection Agency ) statistics, the causes of greenhouse gas emissions in Ireland are as below …yet literally the agricultural sector and business sectors are given a hall pass by the likes of the Green Party and a significant cohort of greens headed twats and climate hacktivists… AND the wider political circus....

Yet they instead are overjoyed to lecture and talk down to households and regular citizens with tremendous levels of arrogance and contemptuous incompetence and hilarious hypocrisy regarding everything from the use of cars, residential power consumption, going on holidays etc…while embracing multiculturalism and an exploding population which will contribute more to issues… and importantly…saying next to zero about the sectors of society as above who are the most prolific causes of climate change…

in an ideal world I’d love to see the likes of Ryan et Al… locked up for publishing treasonous and seditious material. Locked up and in the dark with cold food… save a bit of energy then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

things are generally all right

Jaysus..where to begin..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭dogbert27

If you move to a foreign country then you should follow that country's culture and societal norms.

Do not expect that country to change to make your life easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

Irish people aren't having big families anymore the average number of children per family was 1.38 in 2016. You do understand that having such a low birthrate isnt a good thing for the country as a whole. Who looks after and pays for the elderly population in the future?

Our population replacement rate is 1.7 births per family. So we aren't even replacing ourselves currently. Similar trends across Europe which is one of the reasons governments are importing people from the third world.

There are lots of flaws in your proposal, I'm not sure how you won a debate on it

Post edited by Miadhc on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭StevenToast

All Clampers are wànkers.....on a power trip....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

People with a very low iq need to contained within the confines of spike island. There could be a biannual general intelligence test, fail it, catch ya later. Oh and did I forget to mention that they’d be sharing it with but segregated from, anyone with more than 3 convictions. People who educate themselves and pass the iq test, get to leave after a year. Those convicted folk don’t get that opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Gimme a shot.

Education has no bearing on a person’s IQ. You’d understand that if you had a high IQ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

is the elderly population not getting adequate care in itself not an element of population control. if people died younger the need to provide "the pension"and health care would be less demanding. I'm not saying I agree with this but people are definitely retiring too young.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

took 5 seconds to find this , maybe if you had a high iq yourself , you could’ve looked it up before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

You must gave read the other thread OP started

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Eugenics if practiced correctly isn't all bad and would improve humanity

When radical Islamic suicide bombers and gun men were attacking parts of Europe I often wondered why attack innocent people as people don't really give a sh1t about strangers in another city

They should have attacked the likes of coronation Street, emmerdale, any of the soap stars and sets, bomb the sh1t out of the eastenders set, the x factor, love Island, they'd have a far bigger impact on people if they took away their modern day comforts

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭foxsake

people who try to excuse behaviour by saying "i'm only doing my job" are cowards.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭RossGeller

Inheritance tax should be abolished.

Expenditure needs to be reduced.

Trim the fat from the government.

More personal freedoms. If a shop wants to sell beer / wine at 4 AM or a pub wants to stay open 24/7 then so be it.

If a person enters your home or property without permission you should be allowed to do anything to protect your family or possessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭StevenToast

If a person illegally clamps your car you should be allowed to do anything to protect your possessions.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

What qualifies as a controversial opinion? Having a person or two disagreeing with an idea you have hardly makes it "controversial". But that will happen pretty much on any thread you express any opinion on.

If I think back over my time on boards about when people have disagreed with me in greater numbers and more emotionally - I was not even expressing opinions. I was merely mentioning choices I had made in my own life without suggesting anyone else (should) do the same.

Strangely over all the years on here the two things that seem to fit that description most was A) When I mentioned I chose not to do the whole santa claus thing with my children and B) When I mentioned I was teaching my 11 year old daughter how to use guns/rifles. Those two got a few people rather riled up at the time. More so than expressing any opinions on the abortion and gay marriage referendum threads for example.

Advertisement