Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Tork

For the day that's in it. Nirvana is an over-rated band. For every listenable song, you have to trawl through half a dozen tracks of unlistenable noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Nirvana's biggest sin was paving the way for the Foo fighters

• Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

These are my automatic assumptions of various people.

People with head/facial tattoos: well they definitely don't work as a teacher or doctor anyway.

People with hair dyed green/blue/pink: precious, probably no work ethic in them at all.

Lads who wear matching tracksuit bottoms and tops: wannabe criminal (bonus points when they kit their toddler out in same).

Single women over the age of 35 with designer clothes and more than one dog (usually of the narky breed): unstable and incapable of intimate human connections.

Single men who regularly travel alone to SE Asia: nefarious **** going on.

Social media 'influencers': aren't going to have a status up early in the morning anyway.

Macra na Feirme members: old-fashioned simple folk.

Adults still REALLY into Harry Potter,comics etc: grow up ta feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Gillian Anderson is a rubbish actress

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭StormForce13

UL did, but that was before Mey was appointed President. Her appointment came after a "worldwide search" (I assume that Google was used!) and her key role was clean up the shop! A role that she has completely failed to perform.

Given that she's only 60, I suspect that her current bout of (paid) sick leave may run for a number of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Women should be allowed on commentary or work as a presenter for mens sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,377 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

that the C.i,A were complicate in JFKs assassination . Don’t kill me , I know nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭randd1

The biggest snowflakes going are the anti-woke brigade.

They're overly sensitive at the best of times, and babyish b1tches more often than not.

Comedy, satire and sarcasm should be thought, or at least worked on, in secondary school in some form.

I genuinely think that these things provide relatable methods of critical thinking, healthy cynicism and helps tackle social awkwardness, whether it's engagement with others or dealing with subjects that are unpleasant to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

• Registered Users Posts: 19,966 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The Americans banning TikTok has nothing to do with Chinese ownership and data. Its to do with TikTok not being confined to the narrow spectrum of approved talking points and national arguments.

Americans have news stations with predefined positions on the approved culture war issues of the day like abortion, trans issues, immigration, republican or democrat. TikTok goes beyond those few, often irrelevant topics.

I think the culture wars serve to divide the working people on inconsequential topics, to prevent us from banding together on topics that really matter to us, but governments don't want to deal with such as wealth inequality, education, housing and quality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Social housing should be for people saving trying there best to get on the property ladder, Many more young people would get there with just a little bit of a boost till they get there,

Not people who can't be arsed to do a days work in there lives ,(unless medically they can't)

If they opened up the grant scheme of existing housing and not just new builds, I suspect there'd be a massive amount more housing available to buy.

But then that would probably see house prices go down, and the artificial inflation of the housing sector go with it. Which of course, hurts those who make their fortunes in property.

On the one hand, while I despise the very people who refuse to do a days work, but at the same time there's couples working two jobs and spending a fortune on childcare where they don't see their kids for 9/10 hours of the day and barely getting by. I'm sure there's plenty out there wondering why they're putting in all that effort and sacrifice and in the end having nothing to show for it because they can't buy and rent at the same time.

We made a mistake after the last recession not keeping housing cheap for working families. And we'll probably pay for it with another recession down the line, and make the same mistakes, and the wealthy will get richer and more and more people will be locked out of a chance to have a permanent roof over their called their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Basiclaly the "working class" who gets done over & i'm not talking about the new "working class" yew know the ones who never worked a day in the lifes,

I'm talking about people who work hard but simply don't earn big money , They can be forgotten about, As you said if your scrapping by & at the same time not seeing your kids is it any wonder there people just give up and become dole merchants

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yep. You can see this in the same country where people vote on culture war nonsense over things that actually affect them.

In a democracy, even the US, people get the government they deserve 100% of the time.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Men who have a problem with women commentators, and pundits, covering a men’s game have serious issues with their own inadequacies and can’t handle a woman knowing more about the game than they do.

The tide is turning…

I don't think it's just that. Of course they can read a game just as well as any man, only a moron would think otherwise.

But a woman who played sport will never know what it's like to compete at the male level, or what the men go through, the training, the physicality, the background stuff. In the same way, the men wouldn't have to put up with a tenth of the shite women have to put up with, the training they have to do, various other aspects of womens sport.

The experiences gathered for getting to an All-Ireland is very much different in hurling and camogie. Which is why if you're looking for an opinion on the games, it's probably best to get one from who's had that experience.

And I'd be very much in favour of men not commenting on womens sports either. I'm sure as much as a man would be capable of analysing a womans game, they haven't been a part of that experience, which is why it's better to hear from a woman who understands not just the analysis, but the sport inside out, and what it means to them. The same with men commenting on the mens game.

If it was purely down to match analysis, either a woman or man or would do as they'd know it either way (I'd go as far as to see women are actually better at the analysis in general), but more often than not the conversations cover other aspects of the sport, so it's better to hear from people who went through it. And given that mens and womens sports are different experiences, it would be better to hear from someone who's had that experience.

And not for nothing, it does come across somewhat as tokenism these days. Women's sport is getting more popular and followed more and more, which is obviously a good thing. It doesn't need promotion through tokenism anymore, it needs promotion on it's own merits, and there's more than plenty merit there to promote.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Maybe I should amend that to ‘the men who react angrily to women commentators/pundits’.

The tide is turning…

Tell me you don't find this female commentator annoying, no one wants to hear someone roaring like that.

worst example of a commentator I heave come across.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭StormForce13

A sweeping and unsubstantiated generalisation that, I suspect, was probably composed by a wannabe female pundit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,360 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

White knights are always the biggest assholes to women, they make my skin crawl.

"Reacts angrily" if I say I think mrs browns boys is a load of $hite, is that me acting angrily or just stating my opinion on mrs browns boys?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Their masks usually end up slipping, even online.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭corkie

The Americans banning TikTok has nothing to do with Chinese ownership and data. Its to do with TikTok not being confined to the narrow spectrum of approved talking points and national arguments.

You would never know it was Election year. Controlling the Narrative. American Propaganda that our politicians seem to parrot as well. EU Digital Services Act could be implementing censorship to control the Narrative as well. Risking our adult liberates of using Social Media.

Regards.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The people using tiktok aren't watching the mainstream news, so with the election coming up so they'll try whatever they can to control the narrative. Interesting to see how much support RFK has gained from social media and podcast appearances that media wouldn't report as more people will watch Joe Rogan than CNN,Fox etc so I suppose the media don't want to admit they don't have as much influence with the under 45s

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭corkie

@PsychoPete Interesting to see how much support RFK has gained from social media

As in RFK Jr. I assume?

CNN: Polls show substantial support for candidates like RFK Jr. How much of it is real?

EDIT: - Hopefully you haven't sent me down the rabbit hole of taking interest in US Politics, have enough with our own and EU Elections. You don't hear much about him on our own media? Just Trump and Biden.

Quick look at 'X' and replies are toxic on him, his family not supporting him?

Post edited by corkie on

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭cms88

Often not the case. The likes of Anna Geary and Ursula Jacob are terrible pundits imo. Is it because they're female? No it's because they're just not good. The fact is while both played Camogie at the top level, Camogie is a different sport to hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭89897

Is the problem the sound of her voice or what shes saying? As a semi interested football watcher I dont hear much different to when its men only commentary, expect its a womans voice and not a mans.

Advertisement