Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs and Clubs to get longer opening hours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

For bars, whats the big difference that people are giving out about. If I am not mistaken they could open till 12.30 on weekends anyhow , so this just brings midweek into line with weekends. Weekends remain at 12.30 which is insanely early compared to the continent, but if you are a pioneer anti drink person you should be happy or neutral that weekends arent open any longer, but its definitetly nothing to get the knickers in a twist about

The all night licence is for clubs , not for all night drinking dens .

(oh, and if you are an alco, you likely will be drinking all DAY, if not also all morning, so an all night licence in a club is somewhat irrelevant to your habbit as you'll be off your face well before they even open)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Brings midweeks to the same as weekends, but also brings Sunday up to a normal time, which is the bigger change. For 15 years of jobs I often worked Saturdays and hence had Monday off; so Sunday was my Saturday and everything shut at 11. There were also no trains after about 9!

Thursday used to be considered a weekend night before we had the hacking away of opening hours by Dermot Ahern in ~2008. Which did absolutely nothing that it was intended to do, as it was standard neoprohibitionist nonsense based on no evidence and only a random feeling of do-goodery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,289 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Surprised this is even an issue being discussed in regards to Dublin, you can go until about 5am drinking in Coppers and there are places that go even later on the sly (but not that sly).

The new nightclub legislation is a potential game changer for any clubs still going in Cork, Limerick and Galway.

Certain pubs in rural towns across the country could certainly profit from legally opening until 230am, especially when insurance and less footfall has more or less killed any nightclub outside of the cities already.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,740 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Im actually not sure if any of the Limerick clubs would bother. All the Limerick clubs are just big rooms to drink in while listening to the Spotify top 30 playlist. Maybe one of them will go for it but I think the 6am will be more for real dance clubs (if they still exist in Ireland) and a few Dublin tourist ones.

I think there will be a lot more interest in the late bar license here if they make it easy. Also when extinguishment ends you could see a lot more niche spots. Treaty City might go full time for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭mikethecop

your understanding of the issue is obviously as good as your comprehension of my post

our emergency services have been stretched beyond breaking point for years now,

ask any a+e staff , ambulance or garda. people already dying because of the issues and extra pressure wont help

but sure im sure you know better dont ya

id love to go for a pint but i ve 12-hour shifts to work covering most of a county to work

• Advertisement

If it works there will be less pressure.

Won't know till we try but everyone on here with experience of 24hr drinking speaks positively of the reduction of ASB.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You're just being dramatic and as I said you clearly don't know what a 1st, 2nd and 3rd world country is or means.

There's no reason with a few clubs opening later and pubs opening one hour later that it's going to lead to the breakdown of Irish society,

If Emergency Services have been stretched beyond breaking point for years then how come they're still there?

Issues with emergency services are not being caused by people going out at the weekends. The A&E are not full of people who have been out for a few pints.

People still get sick and require their services and that's whats filling then.

Enjoy your work, when the new laws come in next year you might be able to go for a pint afterwards .

hard to believe some one who is so unaware would bother commenting tbh .

People dying from lack of basic mental health and medical services ? nonfunctional justice system, out of control spiraling prices for housing medicine? whats that sound like to you ?

go do a little research about the mass exodus from health and policing services in Ireland. Gardai nurses and teachers heading to OZ and other places in record numbers with less people interested in filling those roles here.

better still go have a look for yourself or ask people who work in that sector or do you think sick people are the ones clogging services every weekend ?

I d rather a quite midweek pint thanks , that changes males at least some sense

And if it doesn't ? more damage to an already decrepit system

strange to be so sure that something that works in one place will without question work in another.

its sadly unsurprising that some one that is deeply involved in the most effected sectors and is going to be most affected by the changes is told that they dont know what they are talking about 🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭irelandrover

That all might be true. How does extending the opening hours break it further?

Do you think people who drank sensibly until 2 will now suddenly start being irresponsible about their drinking until 6. Will not kicking everyone out onto the street at the same time cause more problems or less?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So society should never try anything because it might fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,962 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So this is not coming into affect til January but remember during the pandemic how fast they acted in closing stuff down

This **** country sometimes I swear to god

So by bringing bar times in line with most of the civilized world, we'll drive our nurses to a place with a 24hr drinking culture? Logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,602 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

People thinking this will put extra strain on A&E or Garda must be those who don't actully go out & just like to comlain

Must trouble on a night out is when everyone in a town or City are living venues at the same time & there ques for food or taxi's that when the majority of trouble happens ,P

That was an international medical emergency and they had to act fast and impose temporary measures.

What's now proposed is a new permanent arrangement and it has go through the Oireachtas.

So you can take back your stupid country criticism.

Different situations in being different shocker......

You're just rambling and painting negative pictures about ever

Nothing that you say above , and I mean nothing will be impacted by this new law about pubs and nightclubs.

you don't think that increasing the pressure on people who already constantly work under a huge amount of pressure for long periods of time will have a negative effect ? cause people to consider leaving for a better life elsewhere ? coz it is and it does.

the vast majority of public order issues start in licensed premises and progress onto the street they will still end up on the street but now it will be on a much greater scale and spread over 5 or 6 hours instead of 1 or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I think it's good news overall.

People focused on the wrong things I think.

The demographic of people staying out til 6am is actually very small. It's just a fraction of 18 to 25 year olds really.

Most people will head home around 2 to 4.

Pubs opening til 12.30 is welcome especially on Sundays and Thursdays.

I really think pubs and clubs and offies should just open and close whenever they want and let the market decide what's needed.

The biggest change I think might be ending the extinguishment of pub license. Might mean nice, smaller cafes and such opening

How will extending pub hours magically increase the population?

• Advertisement

it should learn from mistakes made elsewhere.

Saying it worked somewhere else that had properly equipped and resourced judicial policing and health services is not a fair comparison

A fine example of this mentality is AGS upper management are busy forcing the implementation of a policing model that was tried and failed miserably in the UK and is now being rolled back there .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Nurses and guards don't work under constant pressure.

Aw great, it ll be grand so

you must have great first hand experience of both policing and emergency medicine to be so confident

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭irelandrover

And the vast majority will continue to start in licensed premises and then spill out onto the street.

Now they will be spread over a larger time span. So should reduce the pressure on police.

I don't see how it will increase the scale. People who didn't go out before won't start going out now because they can stay out until 6.

You are making large claims here based on nothing.

What is the busiest time of the night for A&E and the police?

Actually I'm making claims basing on 20 odd years of first had front line experience, what are you basing yours on ?

row in a night club involving say 5 people , happens at say midnight, security chuck them out and it keeps going outside dublin , fairly standard so far ?

the two gardai who are available are already on the spot break it up and arrest two , back to the station, assuming no injuries or they dont attack the gardai. to process them through the custody regulations , create PULSE records UOF IMS and CAD and then charge sheets bail bonds and court file. might take 3 to 4 hours , that's assuming all goes well, no prexisting warrants trips to A+E other calls coming in that require immediate attention If your lucky you get back out for 6 am closing to do it all over again.

Do you not already have an clear and accurate understanding of the issue already? seemed like you did

So you might have to make 2 sets of arrests in a night? My heart bleeds.

I have worked in hospitality for years too so I know plenty about the most affected sector.

And ya I have plenty of experience of how "good" the Gardai are at policing around pubs and night clubs. Doesn't take a lot of training to drive past a crime and ignore it.

• Advertisement

So an arrest takes say 10 minutes and they get to knock 4 hours out of the paperwork.

Where's the constant pressure you are on about?

Advertisement