Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs and Clubs to get longer opening hours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Buses stop at 12 or earlier in most places that have them so no change to 2:30am close and taxis are 24 hr.

All the rest will be easier seeing as they won't have everyone hitting the street at the exact same time which is well know to be the cause of the trouble in Ireland.

The 6am thing is going to be a very small number of clubs anyway not all of them like people seem to keep thinking.

Ffs plenty of cities the size of Irish ones manage this all over Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

That thought occurred to me.

Ordinary people commuting to work early mixing with “mad yokes” off their bin after 8 hours + of heavy drinking and drugging.

its looking for trouble

Ffs according to the news on morning Ireland apparently the Gardai weren’t even consulted about these changes and have MAJOR concerns.

Plan falling apart at the seams after less than 24 hours.

Why are the Gardai concerned. All it means is they now have to not do their job at 6 instead of not do it at 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

I lived in Australia about 15 years ago and this was the norm they even have 1 or 2 24 hour bars. It works a treat as people never stay out to 6 apart from 1 or 2. So you have people coming and going at different times. No hassle getting taxis or food much less anti social behaviour its actually brilliant and could never understand why they wouldn't do it here.

People think they can stay out till 6 but trust me its harder than you think and I was in my 20's. You kinda get different waves of people. Some that go out early, some around 12ish and then you get staff or bar workers that finish around 1ish and will go for a drink after work. It works a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The issues with buses, taxis, policing, A&E and safety are caused by everyone being forced out at the same time.

There are 24h buses. The taxi issue is everyone falling out at the same time.

There will likely be less A&E requirement due to less rushed drinking at ten minutes to last call and less crowding and fighting outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Ozvaldo

the demand outside dublin for this is minimal besides bank holiday weekends

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If it turns out there's no staff or no punters, places simply won't open. Its not being made compulsory.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Publicans seem fairly cold to it. Needs to be embraced though, its represents a change in culture, clubs won't be packed out till 6 at the flick of a switch but it could transform over the next few years. If the government have a brain they'll support clubs to bring this in gradually, 3am first, the 4, then 5, see is there actually a demand for it.

With everything introduced to Ireland Irish people act like it's some mad new experiment we are trying that has never been done anywhere before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,072 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It doesn't represent a change in culture. Most of us will not change our drinking habits at all.

It will affect some younger people's nights out. That's it .

No real story here.

Well obviously ffs.

That's how things work when you want to change a culture. Most of the current generation are a right off but you change the attitude of the next one.

Even with my generation myself, my Irish friends in the UK and my friends in the rest of Europe all changed their drinking habits when moving to places with 24hr pubs. We were not out from 9 to 6 every time we hit the pubs in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭francois

All this happens with late night parties anyway

It will only change for those that stay up late and do drugs anyway. Most people won't stay out til 6.

Just the hard core drinkers and drug takers. 6 am is still too early for them and they'll go back to house parties.

I do not see this as a culture change.

No but now some can stay out til 3 or 4 you are not locked in till 6.

I've cleared my fair share of late bars and nightclubs and the vast majority inside are not ready to finish at 2 and you are sending them on to the street wild and giddy. When you give them somewhere else to go they do but then slowly filter out of there as they tire.

We don't know the fine print yet but hopefully it is cheap and easy for a regular pub to get a late license which would be a big change for a slightly older drinker like myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The whole point of late opening nightclubs is that most people will not stay till close at 6am. Thats what you want - you want people to leave of their own accord, not because the place is closing and kicking them out - people who decide to leave and go home will do so at a time that suits them, meaning not everyone will be leaving at once.

The status quo sees hundreds of people dumped outside a club at closing time because its too early in the night for many, then you see excess drunkness (people having to drink up quick at last orders), fights (too many people on the street) and hard to get home (too many people looking for taxis at one time)

Later hours means a more spread out crowd which is a good thing for almost every outcome - and lastly, nobody is forcing people to stay in a nightclub drinking till close. The idea that 6am close means people drinking until 6 is stupid - they are not proposing state enforced mandatory drinking sessions!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,423 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

An organisation expressing concerns does not mean a plan is falling apart at the seams.

I also think the Gardai have got this wrong.

It's not a massive change and most places will not be open until 6.

Also as people will be going home at different times i expect incidents they're concerned about will decline not increase.

Bizarre for the Gardai to admit that they may not be able to handle this.

Are they completely useless?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

The amount of cranks and contrarians on here, and elsewhere (looking at you Journal.ie) is very telling. Probably all of a certain age and demographic, who have long since passed the heady, halcyon party days/nights. As this policy doesn't benefit them, they resort to complaining about transport, anti-social behaviour, health, etc. Can I just point out, as others have tbf, that this scheme is running in numerous other countries, and they seem to be doing okay. This is not some experiment. Sure, there will be teething problems, but in the long run, this can only be seen as a good thing. And, after 2+ years of constant negativity, doom and gloom, I am delighted for the younger generations. If they want to stay out all night, go out later, etc, they now have the OPTION to do so. Not mandatory. No obligation. Just a choice. Some will abuse this, others will not. That's life.

As for others on here complaining about pubs possibly benefitting, so what? I wouldn't begrudge them one bit. Some peoples circumstances don't allow them to go to the pub - okay, but you are not being punished by this. You can still get your cans, albeit at a slightly higher price. These posts about publicans lobbying government just come across as bitter and resentful. And FWIW I've no affiliation with pubs/clubs, and won't even be benefitting from this scheme, as I'm 30+ and my nights out are limited to a few pints by the fire in the local!

The same misery people were wetting themselves when pubs were closed during covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I think staffing might be an issue.

I wouldnt be in favor of it. Its a bit cart before the horse. We dont have a strong enough garda presence, we dont have enough public transport either or city employees out cleaning. I would like to see all that in place before any extending of hours. But also think its unnecessary. I think the views of government are conflicting .

There is a belief that people will be staggered in leaving and therefore less likely to be antisocial behavior, easier to get home. But im not sure if that will be the case. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I dont understand why anyone would have an issue with this. If you don't want to stay out until 6 then dont, go home at 2, or 4 or whenever you are tired. This doesnt force you to stay out. I find it would actually probably lead to me going home earlier if anything. I tend to get tired when i'm out at 1:00/1:30 and want to leave. Normally i stay out as its only another half an hour extra and then we can all leave together. If the place was open until 6 then id just leave at 1:00/1:30.

If you are a pub owner and you dont want to stay open later then don't.

For the police this seems better with a staggering of people leaving so they dont have to deal with everyone at one time. And people are leaving as they are tired and want to go home, rather than being kicked out before they want to finish up.

Well we already don't have public transport, cleaners or a strong Garda presence at 2am so what's the difference not having it at 6 ?

It will have a major impact on shifts/busiest times of the night etc etc.

its not as simple as saying ah sure leave them on to drink until 6 am what’s the harm

it has to be planned and thought through in consultation with the likes of

guards

HSE/A and E

transport industry (buses and taxis)

hospitality industry workers

the likes of even things like street cleaning will be impacted

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The people whingeing about this are just old cranks who don’t go out and have never partied in cities in Europe because that wasn’t a thing people did in the 80s and 90s, so they don’t understand how this will work.

It’s a step in the right direction and will actually make it easier for the Gardaí. Now instead of everyone getting dumped out at 2:30 people will leave in a staggered fashion between 3:00 and 6:00 and there’ll be way less congestion at taxi ranks and food places etc which will result in less hassle on the streets.

It can’t be just ram it through lads and hope for the best

also - we now have the bizarre situation where 1 arm of the state (dept of health) has a high level priority of trying to reduce alcohol consumption in this country for a myriad of reasons both public health and societal impact

and we have another arm of the state pushing an extremely liberal opening hours policy to allow alcohol to be sold from half 10 in the morning up to 5 am the following morning

and seemingly without any consultation with wider stakeholders ?!

Amateur hour stuff

but the trendy “give us the night” bedroom dj hipsters are happy enough so, move along folks

Any proof that it will have a detrimental increase in alcohol consumption ?

Countries that do this already don't see any issues.

Its not being rammed through by the way. Yesterday was just an announcement but the law is months away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

There has already been a lot of consultation.

Alcohol consumed in pubs is a controlled environment.

A guard was telling me that once the pubs opened after lockdown their job became easier in terms of dealing with drink related issues.

People moan about it but we know off licences flog drink to people who will in turn sell it on to underage kids which is totally uncontrolled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭bigroad

It will be great for some people that do shift work ,a bit more freedom for them as not everyone has a 9 to 5 job.

Advertisement