Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs and Clubs to get longer opening hours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I deal with alot of people in the pub trade and they all say cocaine is one of the biggest issues they face. Until you go on a night out and see it for yourself you can't grasp how widespread the use of it is, cubicle queues are just non stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

the pessimist in me thinks thats more to do with people here rather than any closing times unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Streamlined and finally Ireland will have an actual "night club" license as opposed to the chicken in a basket set up the current system evolved from. Also opening hours not beholden to antiquated Sunday bllshit.

What modernisation do you think we need for CCTV beyond the 2008 law ?

People here are a product of the regulations. Our strict law creates binge drinking along with our weird fetishizing it by putting it behind blacked out windows (beer burka was a big step backwards)

Slowly the Irish are starting to approach alcohol like grown ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The risk here is instead of the drunken chaos in Dublin at 3 in the morning it will just be moved to when people are going to work.

• Advertisement

They claimed MUP was to make people drink less. Now they're extended pub and club hours, which will have the direct result of people drinking more.

I'm not against longer opening hours but this is proof that MUP was a scam and not a health measure. It needs to be immediately repealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭riddles

Will it mean court time will not be taken up processing opening hours extensions. It’ll be a lost revenue for solicitors?

No it won't. People who wanted to drink till 6am still are right now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

They can't get staff for them as it is. Longer opening, ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The clubs will most likely only open late on Friday and Saturday nights. So office people don't work on Saturday and Sunday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Just bringing us in line with other countries, I'd prefer if it went farther and it was 2am closing in all the pubs.

Good for the young people as well to have longer opening hours in the nightclubs, but it seems the doom and gloom squad here and over on FB aren't happy unless everyone else has as miserable a life as they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I presume this will mean that the stupid by law of not allowing alcohol to be sold until 12.30pm in off licences on Sundays will be gone and it will be from 10.30am instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Well I don't like it because it's not equitable. I can't really go out due to my circumstances but I'm punished (under the guise of a health measure) for having a few cans at home. Yet the government see fit to extend opening hours for pubs and clubs resulting in an increase the consumption of narcotics and alcohol in these locations.

It's the hypocrisy of it all which is truly galling.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CaptainTeebs

I'm pushing 40 and they were trying to bring this in when I was sneaking into clubs underage! That's how long it's been in the pipeline.

While welcome it seems too little too late to me. Club culture in this country seems to be dying. Until about 12 years ago even most country towns of more than 1000 people had a small nightclub of some description. Most larger Dublin suburbs, or the main large suburb surrounded by smaller ones- Blanch, Finglas, Clondalkin, Tallaght, Stillorgan, Coolock, Clontarf, Dun Laoghaoire, Swords, Leixlip/ Lucan- all of these places had at least one large nightclub or at the very least a late disco bar with dancefloor.

I may be wrong as I'm long in the tooth for it now but is Club Diva near Lucan the only suburban Dublin nightclub left?

It seems to me that the culture of people in their teens to early 20s sessioning til dawn from Thursday to Sunday is simply gone, and I don't know if it will come back. Even Saturday nights in locals near me that were once heaving, jammed, shuffle past room only, you could count the 150 people there. Way back when the place would be rammed with young people getting in a few jars before either the local club or getting a bus/ taxi into town, that crowd just seems to be gone now.

What can be blamed?

Many say Tinder etc has replaced going to clubs to meet women. I'm not sure that can be blamed- smart phones have been in everybody's hand since Christmas 2011, yet this club decline really only started to kick in around 2016 or so. Strangely clubs thrived in the recession years- Sin and the Wright Venue, Powerscourt, Hangar, all took off then but died in the recovery.

Purely anecdotal, but I hear young lads in work and young ones on the bus etc constantly on about festivals, foreign clubbing, basically instead of how my generation got on it 3, 4 nights a week in clubs, theirs sits on that money for big money expenditures like 600 quid on 3 day festivals, clubbing in Berlin, all that craic. In the 2000s you had Oxegen and pretty much little else, the odd dance festival here and there, EP was for hipsters back then, these days the Irish summer is absolutely crammed with festivals.

Pressure to spend money on other stuff these days? No 20 year old in the mid 2000's was spending 1100 euro on that era's equivalent of a Canada Goose jacket.

One that might surprise you- cannabis. Smoke has been a part of Irish youth culture for pushing 50 years, but the sheer strength of the stuff these days, plus the high cost, means that from my experience plenty of young lads who are heavy smokers are often near on teetotalers, they really are happy enough to just get monged and stay in watching tv with the missus. Whereas in my day hash was usually just one of the lighter intoxicants in any sessioners repitoire- sure hash was smoked in the corner of clubs pre smoking ban.

From what I gather there's vanishingly few proper nightclubs left standing in Dublin. Investment in new ones is needed to save the rave, and in our current cost of utillities crises I can't see many money men being brave enough to go for that investment.

Well thats your issue to deal with, here you are cribbing that nothing should change just because you don't like it.

Sure lets go the whole hog and bring in probition like they had back in the 1920s in America, we can all sit in by the fire.

Would that suit you?

To add to my post, with the crowds, or lack of, I've been seeing in some formerly heaving suburban locals on a Saturday night, with bands on and all, I'm not sure in 30 years time we will have many local pubs let alone nightclubs. Sad state of affairs but I look around and everyone in them seems to be about 28 to 60- wherever the younger crowd are starting their nights it isn't in there like it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Does this mean the quantity limit on the number of licences is to be removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's would actually make a more coherent policy than the current one.

And yes, it is a legitimate complaint to point out blatant official favouritism for what is an increasingly obsolete sector in our society. Not extending extinguishment for example to off licenses is an unbelievably one sided measure.

Of the measures themselves, tbh I genuinely thing extending club hours to 6am is a bad idea and will not result in the benign staggered closing, but an increase in alcohol related public order issues and more stress on a&e.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Won't make an ounce of difference in my area as they're in pubs till 6am and later anyway.

• Advertisement

As opposed to the way it is now where everyone is dumped out on the street at 2.30am, nobody can get a taxi and the chippers are packed which leads to fights?

Not everyone is going to stay out until 6am, people will be going home at different times instead of all at the one time.

Well most pubs seem to be over 23 now despite it being illegal to do so. Also the majority of pubs are all just the same thing (which suits me now) but young me would not bother with 90% of the "boring" identical pubs in Limerick.

Maybe finally taking licences out of the hands of hereditary owners will help. People can open up pubs for gaps in the market without needing to buy out a license.

Speaking of age, one funny thing I've noticed in recent years in Dublin is young lads being allowed into city centre pubs on a Friday/ Sat night in a 2 piece tracksuit.

In town. In swanky bars.

15 years ago you'd quite honestly think twice about wearing a full tracksuit to watch football on a Sunday afternoon down some local pubs, there was a good chance you'd be refused from some of them.

Fashion changes.I see loads of hipsters wearing Italia 90 looking tracksuits in pubs all the time now.

Personally it's not my style but it's better than that "neat dress essential" shte we used to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Won’t make an ounce of difference either in a lot of rural areas as the pubs are already closed.

Have to laugh at the narrative of widespread narcotic use and keeping the clubs open until dawn . All that seems to be fine .

But when lads were drinking a few pints and driving home on back roads , we were led to believe that the sky would fall in if this wasn’t made a criminal offence .

• Registered Users Posts: 37,888 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Will Wetherspoons stay open longer I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Going to be a bit of a pain for anyone living near a nightclub. Instead of it all being done around 3 and you get some quiet, it's going all night now.

They have a late night version in England.

I heard they are opening one in Temple Bar soon.

Forget the name of it.

• Advertisement

I doubt it. Its pretty rare for them to spend on extras.

Advertisement