Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 21/22 Eviction Ban (was: And just like that, FFFG lose 298000 votes))

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

They know exactly what they have done. Thats why i believe that they are beavering away trying to figure out how to extend the "temporary" ban when it comes time for it to end.

Every landlord I have ever heard tell of has or is now giving notice. If the ban ends so many people who werent going to be told to move out before are now going to told just that. Its a mad dash for the exit for landlords before they get locked in once and for all. The REITs must be loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭DFB-D

Unless they were planning to sell anyway, I couldn't see the logic in issuing notice.

Not sure what the housing market will be like in May, but the outlook for the financial markets is bleak.

Dont know any landlords now not having sold or planning to sell after the last announcement. I used to know a good few lanldords wioth one or two properties rented. That number will be zero if the last couple sell once this eviction ban is over - if its over. They may not actually be able to sell at this point. I dont see the eviction ban ending. No way can they end it now. It will be carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If it gets extended then there would have to be a constitutional challange, you could argue that for common good it's needed due to exceptional circumstances but if it's extended the "exceptional" becomes normal and their common good excuse ends

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Just sell up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Anyone in a similar situation here? Gave notice months ago and tenants were due to move out in October, but I agreed to extend the termination date into December, as they hadn't secured a new place in time (all done in writing). So the extension date falls under the new ban period, but if they're already in the process and are happy to move to a new place, then all is good?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TenMoreMinutes

If they are happy to leave you are grand, but if you gave them an extension in writing and it falls under the period of the ban, they may well be able to stay under the conditions of the ban. It's a difficult situation that completely depends on the type of tenants they are. Smart tenants in this situation would be looking to get resituated ASAP, as when we hit April it's going to be carnage.

It sounds like you have a good relationship with them, and I'm sure they are grateful for the extension, so hopefully that pays off in karma for you. Might be worth offering them any support in their search, written references to have when tenants are applying for viewings are valuable, especially if you provide stuff like the RTB registration number (essentially verifying you are actually the landlord).

Thanks for the comment. It's pretty much how I've interpreted it. Yeah I have a very good relationship with them, but everything is getting so fecking complicated with such a shortage of rental properties out there, now the new ban...and trying to get clarity from the RTB on anything is a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Literally the only road they’ll have left to extend the ban, is tax cuts on rental income to encourage landlords not to leave the market, the eviction ban was the last stick they had, now they’ll have to see if carrots work.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

The eviction ban will be permanent that's a given at this stage.

The gap in value of a second hand house with vacant possession will grow with this is the new normal.

Govt may look at increasing CGT to even that advantage of vacant over one with a tenant.

Attack on property is already having an effect on private market less vacant properties available.

A vacant property can be rented at market after 2yr this is the reit play

Yield is is better over long-term

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

I have no doubt that they’ll try, but everything I’ve read indicates that the only way it was possible to bring it in because it was time limited, I’m not a solicitor or a judge, so honestly don’t know what would happen if they extended it, a case would more than likely be brought.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,252 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think you should definitely look at starting a legal action to recover you house against the state legislation. You should contact your solicitor. A barrister may take this case on a no foal no fee basis. As this could be considered a case of public interest even if the case is lost ( which I think as you require the house for your own use is unlikely, I presume you own no other property) it highly likely that the courts will allow costs against the state ( this is why a barrister is highly likely to take the case).

The other reason to start the case is that it will take a while to reach court and will give a head start in the quite like event that the state extends the ban.

Slava Ukrainii

You should start legal proceedings against the RTB for failure in there statutory obligations to you.

An Bord Peanala is paying developers for statutory failings because of delays in handling planning cases

This could be pursued at district court level by you solicitor. It is worth investigating

Slava Ukrainii

Landlords who want possession in the short to medium term need to issue notices before Nov1st.

There is a substantial risk that even if the ban is not extended in March we will have a winter ban in twelve months time and maybe earlier in the Autumn. If you want possession at any stage in the next 12-18 months you should have served pre November1st

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

CEO of threshold on KFM now about evictions. May be interesting.

"1 call every 20 minutes to their offices."

"Elevated numbers of evictions, greater than last year"

"Lack of housing supply means a struggle for renters to find new accomodation"

"LL selling up is the most common issue"

Not much that has not been widely discussed here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

They are talking about terminations, not evictions. When people can't even get the language right, how are they going to solve the problem?

True. The usual, the councils and government blocking as much new development as they can. Doing everything they can to ensure landlord's leaving the market in droves...

People like to excerise their right to vote in this country. So they arrive at the polling booth, see that long list of names, and just can't resist filling it all in 1-15. Don't worry FFG will be just fine.

• Advertisement

Sorry about that. Does it really matter?

Out you go, one way or the other.

Nothing ever seems to happen when they extend any temporary measures. Its normal at this point. They should remove the word temporary from the language here at this point.

Was listening to Matt Cooper yesterday they had the CEO of threshold on. I thought he gave a very poor interview, he pointed out the high number of people comming to look for supports but when asked how to solve the issues he had very little in the way of solutions and when some solutions were put to him he just ignored them and changed the subject. I get the feeling he was only on the radio to pressure the goverment into giving more funding to his organisation.

Havent these morons been talking about the housing crisis for twenty years plus now? Ridiculous planning laws. One bed luxury apartment given out for free. Make then studios, half the size... many workers are now living out of Van's in Dublin, but at least the wasters get centrally located A1 rated luxury..

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Quick question. My tenants are out of contract, they been tenants for around two years, I want to sell the property. How much notice do I need to give them now this eviction ban is in place?

Not sure but at this point, I think you would be looking at finally being able to sell around 2024. You would have to find out whatever the current ever changing notice period is and then do the calculations and add in eviction ban rules and any other legislation they randlomly throw out over the next year or two.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Guidelines here on notice periods and how to correctly give notice, I am not sure how the eviction ban plays into this sorry. Eg can you give notice and it gets extended until March '23 and starts then? or does it start now and they go after. I doubt RTB will be of much help either. Not easy, just make sure you do it all by the book.

https://www.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/notice-periods-that-a-landlord-should-give?gclid=CjwKCAiAvK2bBhB8EiwAZUbP1JGcopYLAJ4aC7CaJ7_YbXbWP9jSEa3yfnDk-FaWeNMDZ3jHhjiZPhoCkHEQAvD_BwE

Seeing as it's impossible to contact the RTB, can anyone help to clarify?

My understanding is - if you are issuing a Notice of Termination now, you still give the same notice period required (e.g. 90 days), so the termination date could be stated as the XX of February. if the tenants are happy to move then (during the ban period), then it's okay - it's just a case of the landlord being prevented from 'enforcing' the termination/kicking the tenants out during the ban period if they haven't found a place?

I gave my notice months ago and mine should have been gone before any ban came into place, but I am having to give extensions (not a new notice), so I'm just trying to figure everything out.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bluedex

And the contraction of supply continues, leading to even higher rents.

Just waiting to hear, again, about how this is the fault of all the greedy price-gouging private landlords and that the ongoing government and legislative actions have nothing to do with them leaving the market.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭DubCount

Nothing is going to stop the current trend towards making Landlording a less and less attractive proposition. There is not one politician who is arguing for deregulation or repeal of the current systems. So its a 14% increase last year, and more of the same next year. 2023 will be another year of railroading property rights "in the interest of the common good", while watching supply contract and prices increase. On the upside, we soon wont have any greedy fat cat landlords left to blame.

Advertisement