Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunsynk (DEYE) Hybrid Inverters

Options
  • 09-10-2022 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

I wonder if anyone on here installed any Deye/Sunsink (they might actually be the same thing/clone) on single phase that can draw up to 200A from the batteries, the 7 or 8 kw versions. One of these would be handier (cheaper too) to install than multiple sofars, you need 3 to get 200A.

Specs here: https://deye.com/product/sun-5-6k-sg01lp1-us-sun-7-6-8k-sg01lp1-us-eu-5-8kw-single-phase-2-mppt-hybrid-inverter-low-voltage-battery/

1. Would the 8kw inverter even be "allowed"/certified for Ireland
    2. Wonder if that 190A charge/discharge limit is what Solis do with their 100A and then limited to 70A after 15mins (still from a drop from 190A to 100A is still plenty to cover 95% of scenarios)
    3. Are the the Deyes any reliable?
    4. How's the automation with them? You can buy some software from here https://solar-assistant.io/ that runs on a pi and gives you real time values but I suspect there's a ton of other ways to integrate with Home Assistant as well courtesy of github etc

More connection options :

https://kellerza.github.io/sunsynk/

It can connect via serial modbus or via the Solarman Wifi adapter. It is an addon for home assistant though (so HA is needed)

Some additions from the middle of the thread, Modbus meters:

From Unkel, Here

"Eastron SDM230 fitted today

Manual was incorrect with the CAT5 cable pinout, tried several combinations, was about to give up, one last try with the last suggestion from @graememk - and then it worked 😀

Readings are perfect, this is the first time ever that my readings are spot on the same as the Myenergi clamp on the incomer (that I know is correct)

So, for anyone else out there, we were using the T568B standard of CAT5 cable pinout. Standard crimped plug in "RS485" labelled port of Sunsynk (bottom right of the six ethernet ports), then pin 5 - blue white, (RS485 A) and pin 6 blue (RS485 B) on the meter (that is the utmost left pin 5 and the second from the left pin 6)

RS485A is 5, RS485B is 6

Found the pdf with the correct wiring here: https://www.sunsynk.org/post/eastron-meters-do-you-need-one

Pin 5 on this is (blue white) is rs485A, Pin 4 (Blue) is rs485B

Post edited by graememk on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭TerraSolis

I'm about to put in the 5k hybrid. The larger 8k do have EN50549 certs I think (so they are certified) but you'd need to go through the NC7 process with ESBN as they're too large for NC6. As per reliability, I hope so! 😂 I'll be scraping data from the portl for other use/automaton - happy to share code once I have that done.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Punchin A Keyboard

I wonder what the derating will be on the Solis 6th gen. I am eyeing the 125A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

So in theory I could replace that anytime and probably ignore ESBN as I can 100% be sure that the first thing they will send me is a smart meter so they can PFO with that 😁

Defo, let us know how that goes, also why not go for the 6kw one to get 6kw AC output instead of 5kw?

If it goes 125A --> 100A --> 125A then it wouldn't be too bad.

The only thing I 'm not a huge fan of with these inverters is the battery lugs not being surlok and non mc4 connectors for the strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,777 ✭✭✭✭unkel

125A Solis 6G 6kW won't be available in Ireland until summer of next year (heard from the horse's mouth) and given the difficulty Solis have with the current gen, which basically does not conform to its spec sheet, that doesn't inspire confidence. The 8.8kW Sunsynk ticks all the boxes, I'll enquire about their availability tomorrow morning. If in stock my mate and myself will buy one. Or order one.

The thought of charging / discharging at 10kW 😎

Dare I admit to being on a smart meter on boards? 😉

They allow for 10% AC overloading so the 5k can give 5500W if it's not too hot (same as the hypontech 5k it's replacing). 6k is technically over the NC6 limit when overloaded.

I'll report back when it's online and I've messed with it a bit.

Oh and the strings on mine have MC4 connectors.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Anyone any experience with Victron?

I've been pondering the Victron Quattro 15kVa but there's little to no support in Ireland. I'd love to replace my Solis with one down the line for better off grid

I was also wondering if with the 8kw inverter the existing 6mm2 cable is enough.

I want to say yes, sort of if you look above.

I have about 7m of the AC cable clipped to the joists in the attic (no trunking) and then going outside on the side of the house another 4m or so inside 25mm trunking which is in the shade mostly.

The PV will not exceed 7kw and I very much doubt I will ever get near the 190A charge/discharge but still safety first.

Your in off grid territory there. Was tempted by a multiplus but not the price.

These folks have a setup you might be interested in.

https://youtu.be/YRn9xabVIQM

Thanks will check them out.

Victron works fine on grid and off grid too. My aim is off grid entirely but that's not for a while yet.

• Advertisement

I managed about 5s of that video. Victron hardware everywhere and a rake of Pylontechs. Sure sign of folks with more money than sense 😂

I had typed "will check them out" before the video loaded. They are one of the folks I already follow on YT. Victron is expensive but works well for integrating other stuff. Especially Multiplus or Quattro. Same with Pylontech, they are more - substantially more - expensive than buying cells, building the battery yourself with busbars etc but tbh I like the integration of plug and play.

It's cheaper to buy from the grid for 100 years than to setup an offgrid system like that 🤣

It's very expensive to go from 80-90% off grid to fully off grid anyway, I'm not sure it can be cost effective. Has to be an interest or self sufficiency requirement rather than purely cost basis. Think of it like buying an EV in the 90's. Not cost effective.

I got my house at a bargain so I don't mind spending money to make it off grid. I wont be moving anywhere. If it's a house full of blue victron stuff and suitcase batteries with pylontech or dyness written on them or so, so be it

Unless you either live like a hermit, or spend an absolute fortune, off grid is just not feasible for a family home in this country. And what's the reason for even wanting to go off grid, to prove a point that you can? And then, having to burn millions of kilos of fossil fuel because your electricity is nowhere near adequate for heating rooms or water? Off grid is backward. Not forward. It's bad for your wallet and bad for the planet.

Also. They just released a video criticising pylontech!

I believe they were forced into the off grid route as i think they were quoted something like 40k to run a grid connection. The expensive blue stuff would be better than going a riskier less beaten path of Chinese stuff.

Aye. That sounds logical. A reactive response. They obviously should have checked that before they bought the property. Very naive. But once bought, maybe the only viable option as they might have been financially ruined having to sell the land on for a fraction of what they paid for it. They were ripped off. Might be completely wrong here, but that scenario would make sense

BTW Victron look nice but I don't know why some people think it's top of the range. It's not. Most of their stuff is made in India. If you do want top of the range, get the likes of SMA

Burning fossil fuel in a generator is not off grid either. Off grid is solely powered by sustainable methods. Burning locally sourced wood in a stove is fine, but burning 1000 liters a quarter of diesel or kerosene imported from countries that want to kill us and our way of life is not.

I'm happy the direction I'm going in. I've just gotten my recent electricity bill and it's half what it usually is. I only had 3 weeks of Solar in the 8 week billing period so I expect the fuuture bills to be less again.

My aim for the next 12 months is simply to add to my existing system. We won't be off grid in 2023. But, we'll be closr than we were in 2022, and much closer than in 2021. Full off grid in 2025-6-7 is a possibility. I'm the type of person that I set long term goals and generally achieve them, one way or another.

Burning locally sourced wood / turf is fine as long as you live remotely. If not it affects people with breathing difficulties and it will cause cancer to people inhaling the PM2.5 spit out by the fire. Many more people in Ireland die from this each year than die in road traffic accidents.

The aim should be (apart from the financials) to burn as little as possible or have others burn as little as possible. So PV is good, buying electricity from the grid is also good, provided it is mostly clean (and getting cleaner every year), burning stuff is bad. In your case with your serious goal, serious budget and a one off property, your own serious wind generator might be an option. If you have a stream / lots of height difference, hydro would be even better.

• Advertisement

I live rurally. Neighbors are of the bovine variety on all four sides. I like a fire, and this is the addition to electric heating of water. I have a heat powered fan above the stove to heat the room. My aim is to be off grid. I'm not interested in a clean grid, I'm interested in a micro grid, which begins and ends on my land.

I'm intrigued by wind energy but have not yet found a remotely viable option. Hydro is more realistic, especially with rainwater collection for domestic non-potable use.

For me, it's not about renewable energy, it's about self sustainable and doomsday prep. Think of bearded hippie but without the vegan nonsense.

The next logical step from my current system is a large hybrid inverter, hence the idea of the victron quattro. But it's very difficult to move forward with something when there's no domestic support for it.

Plenty of US prepper channels you could watch then 😂 David Poz is one of the more serious ones, afaik he is completely off grid in his family home.

Personally I never really get the prepper / doomsday stuff. If a nuke lands anywhere in the country, we're all dead. I can understand people want to be self-sufficient just as some sort of life goal, but that should also include growing all your food imho

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Off grid is fine in Ireland 8-9 months of the year but the solar deficit for 3-4months is colossal, you'll see this ELM over the next 6 months or so.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Unkel - Yes we are also growing some food, have chickens for eggs, will have a couple of sheep and a goat next year hopefully.

Slave1 - I see production going as low as 3-4kWh a day already, I understand there is a deficit. I'm looking at ways to augment our setup to mitigate getting a run of bad days. Currently the max has been 1-2 bad days before a good enough day to replenish the buffer so we're not yet in a situation that we run out of power.

Guys can we keep this on track and not about doomsday preppers, I'm sure there's loads of those threads on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Wait till you see the "really bad days" ahead in December - LOL!

No, fair play to you. It was mentioned before, I for one respect anyone wanting to give it a go and try and get off grid in Ireland. I think from crunching the numbers myself that it's not a realistic proposition even with a variety of reasonable sources in addition to solar such as wind and hydro, but the willingness to give it a look is always nice to see. I don't say that sarcastically either.

It's nearly doable, but I think for many not a realistic proposition. I genuinely think you can develop the infra to get yourself fully "off grid" for 9 maybe 10 months a year. Never having to import one single unit.... but not having power on Christmas day would be .....problematic.

If only you could disconnect from the grid in Feb and then rehook it back up in Oct and not pay standing charges or disconnection/reconnection fees. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭allinthehead

If you were to change to a 40 amp mcb/rcbo you would be right on the edge, no problem with your pv input but the discharge rate is a little high. You'd probably be fine as it wouldn't discharge at that rate for too long I reckon. Still, I'd rest easier on 10sq with a 40 amp.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

Any update on how this is going for you? Contemplating replacing my Solis 6kw with one of these for the higher charge rates

Very very hard to find stock, story of anything PV these days and massive delays with retailers getting stock.

Still on the hunt.

• Advertisement

Hey Chris,

The Deye is going great. I've definitely been impressed with it's capabilities. That said, I haven't tested high battery currents as I've only a wee AGM battery.

By the time you replace the inverter though, would you not just AC couple another one and go the NC7 route?

Advertisement