Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunsynk (DEYE) Hybrid Inverters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

As @unkel says you would need to check your voc on your panels and work it out for your own particular install. Done mine and thankfully well within spec. Also used historical data over entire year to ensure it never got close.

Having a max mppt voltage means you can go to that voltage otherwise it wouldn't be stated as max 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Exactly, voc doesn't reflect real numbers, 12 * 40v is 480 and panels are hovering around the 400 mark which is well within the 450v limit that sunsynk said you should aim for. I sent them the panel spec sheet and they said 10. They also said the ideal voltage is around 300v

I don't see why this string is not well within the sunsynk limits to be honest (might be a bad example as this string is 100% shaded until next year)

I wonder if the random spikes can cause the inverter to shutdown production and that can be the issue.

Easy fix as the 8kw has 4 strings on it and can easily split 24 panels into 6 per string.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Be careful with real or historical data. You could in theory reach VoC if it is really cold and sunny (like in -10C), I would just stay within number of panels * VoC <= max voltage per input string

Or at least not go over it by more than a tiny bit

Cheers, yep will be just below with one string and well below on the other in terms of voc. Just used historical data from last winter spring etc to check max it went to in order to be doubly sure

I saw my wife put on the kettle a minute ago, so for the craic I switched on my heatgun on 2kW setting. Nice to see 5.5kW coming from the battery 😁

• Advertisement

Nice but it should go to about 6.5kw with the 120a right? Have you pushed it to the limit?

120A draw at the battery * roughly 50V = 6kW or thereabouts minus losses, so I wouldn't expect it to power more than about 5.5kW of house load

In my settings I see 120A max for charging and 115A max for discharging, maybe this is because I've set the battery to lead acid (no BMS)

Also thanks to @allinthehead for helping me with some of the settings, the menu is a bit bewildering! All working very well though, I hooked up two of my PV strings to it today

I suppose that makes sense, if it can only output a max of 5500w AC then the discharge is capped at that too.

How many panels/what voltages you have in the strings?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭daesal

Hi. Interesting stuff. I'm looking to get Sunsynk too. Is the 450v max per string or total over 4 strings?

Thanks

And...What size batteries do you have with them? Thanks again

• Advertisement

450V is the max total of the VoC of your panels on one string. I always thought that was low compared to other inverters, until I watched a vid a few days ago where Keith Gough (CEO of SunSynk) said it is 520V really.

I currently have 20kWh of 16S2P 200Ah CALBS, soon going 16S3P for 30kWh

Going to connect emergency circuit to it tomorrow, see how that goes

Maybe we should rename this the Sunsynk hybrid inverters thread LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Scoopsire

Actually watched this one myself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8zys5fiUZw, I felt like I was back in college!

Max voltages are discussed about 4 mins in

That's good to know about the 450v actually, means my 12 panel string will have no issue.

Summer:

Winter:

@SD_DRACULA - be careful though, you will have to multiply the VoC from the spec sheet of your panel by the number of panels. NOT use some historical data. The actual voltage could spike all the way up to the VoC in certain circumstances, I believe very cold sunny weather

Having an issue here with the sunsynk in that it set the PV export to 5500w it will export excess solar and make up the rest by discharging the battery to the grid. Have tried various settings on it like setting priority load, priority battery etc but no joy. Have you encountered this @unkel or any suggestion on what seeing to try to allow max effort of excess only

Yes the settings are quite tricky. Took me a while to get my head around it and with a bit of help from @allinthehead too. You need to use a timing schedule, then in system mode -> system 2 the only boxes you should tick are zero export and priority load

In other news, I just hooked up a double socket to "LOAD" and I can confirm that this works whether or not the grid is present. Tested with a 2kW heat gun. Big benefit this is. You can use it as a UPS. Also the battery is still being charged from PV when the grid is off. Also a huge benefit in areas where you get regular grid blackouts

Max would be 480v which it never got even close to in the 1.5 years they have been up, and he says in the video it can handle spikes of up to 520v then surely should be good?

Would that not stop any export though? Trying to maximize export for power not used as good fit rate

Ah ok sorry, I don't have a smart meter, so I want to export as little as possible. I presumed you were in the same situation. Not many people with serious setups in Ireland that are on smart meters!

Just find at the minute suits my needs in that it's there lowest standing rural charge, 6c EV charge window and have made just over 380 euro on fit from them since joining in June. But would need a to continue full export of excess power apart from what I consume and save in my DIY battery. I'm sure there will have to be a way yet with the sunsynk to do this but their menus are more than a little confusing. Haven't purchased one myself yet but have fitted one for family member and been finding it good in all other aspects. If could sort this would be fitting one here next week.

Noticed sofar also do 6kw hybrid with 100 amp charge so may be alternative if can't

• Advertisement

Hi. Do you mind me asking who your electric supplier is and what plan you're on? These new standing charges are madness must change.

Sunsynk on the way.really looking forward to it

A weird one that's above my paygrade. One for you electric heads.

The Sunsynk CT clamp in my consumer unit (same location where my ME3000SP clamp was - which worked fine) seems to overread by 300W, meaning the inverter continuously pumps 300W into the grid as it thinks it's needed. Zappi app tells me this is happening and I double checked this at the ESB meterbox and can confirm it does this

Now when I connect a CT clamp directly on the live incomer in my ESB meter box outside of the house, the Sunsynk reads spot on and functions perfectly

What the hell is this 300W difference?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

The consumer unit in the house that you have the CT in, is that the main and only consumer unit? (No EVSE etc connected from meter box etc?).

Does the Sunsynk give you any stats on power factor? What operating mode is the Sunsynk in by default? Fixed power factor, reactive power, volt-watt, volt-var etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭allinthehead

My guess would be interference of some kind. Have you any wifi enabled devices in the consumer unit?

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

Only consumer unit in the house and no, no wifi enabled devices in there. In fact only one other CT in there at the moment, on the same incomer (for the zappi)

Power factor of Sunsynk set to 1.000. Can be changed, but this is part of the ESB networks / Irish setting of the inverter.

Take the clamp off the cable and see if it's reading anything. Mine was reading 60 watts.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

Will do. The CT clamp itself is not the problem though, when I connected the clamp that was already in there for my previous inverter (and working fine with it), it also had this same problem on the Sunsynk.

Another option, can I just use the current (working perfectly) zappi CT clamp and connect a second set of wires to it to go back to the Sunsynk?

No problem, it's the EV plan with pinergy. Attached prices and with 21c Feed in Tariff

I'm not sure if that will work to be honest as you would be linking the zappi and the inverter. Could have some strange readings on both, only one way to find out though😁

☀️ 10.75kwp.

• Advertisement

How long is the run of the cat5/6 cable? Apparently you need some sort of "amplifier" from sunsynk but I think that's if over 30m.

Also is it a good quality shielded twisted pair cable?

Did you use the CT of the existing inverter in the CU or added the one that came with the sunsynk?

Advertisement