Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunsynk (DEYE) Hybrid Inverters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,887 ✭✭✭✭unkel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭allinthehead

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

So have had this issue (with the CT reading) logged with Sunsynk for 3 months now, I see that Deye engineers in China have made several changes, for good and for bad.

But now it seems when I set the grid trickle charge to 200W, everything seems to be ok most of the time. As in, I really do not import or export anything, according to the myenergi system. Which is accurate, as I've checked it against manual multimeter readings. I never bothered trying shielded CAT6 cable (although I bought it) as I saw several other people reporting the same issue who used shielded cable to start with

They've also messed with the ESB grid settings a few times, I'm not 100% sure they have set that back right again. They seem to ignore my requests that they confirm the settings are correct (as presumably they were when the device came from factory, pre-programmed with the ESB settings as an option - and the device being certified for the Irish market)

Sunsynk 8.8kW up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Blakes77

Hi unkel, where did you source your 8.8 ? I'm interested in hearing how you get on with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

• Registered Users Posts: 21,473 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

We got them through the Yesss UK chain of electrical stores, but that was strictly trade only. Had to prove that to them too and also reference installed projects in NI. And we got them only slightly cheaper than @SD_DRACULA and that was without VAT. So it's probably easier to go with his link.

Inverter is working great. I haven't my cabling all upgraded yet, so taking it gently charging, but checked and it looks like it can charge at just over 8.5kW continuously from the grid. Also today is a good day for the solar PV, I've made 6kWh already and it's not even 10AM yet in early March 😎

All hail the 200A gods!!! (ignore the mess around, that's being tidied, naturally)

Loving solar assistant, data that is always 2 seconds old is the best kind of data, seamless integration with HA and can control the inverter as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭S'

That looks very neat. What inverter did you swap out?

I have a solis 6k and weighing up my options atm. Did the dongle come with the Sunsynk or is it an add-on?

Can the Sunsynk take the same amount of panels per string as the Solis Hybrid 6K?

11.2kWp E/W split arra. Mayo

• Advertisement

Dongles come with all Sunsynks. Amount of panels per string is limited officially to 450V VOC but the CEO said 520V is fine, so that's pretty much on a par with Solis too. The big difference is that the Sunsynk 5.5kW can do sustainable 100A battery charging. The Solis 6kW can only do 60A

I have 13 panels on one string with a voc of 46v so that puts it at 598v😬

That's far too high. Solis has max MPPT of 520V too afaik. If you got a really sunny, really cold day, you could blow up your inverter

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Solis max voltage (not mppt) is 600V but 13 panels is right on the limit of the solis for VOC but the operational voltage is likely to be below 500

Checked the spec of my panels (345w JA panels) and voc is actually 41.76v so that sums to 543v.

I take it the Sunsynk 8k wouldn’t be suitable.

I have two strings of 12 panels but their max voc is 40 and while they do go past the recommended 425v the sunsynk did not complain just yet and was pushing 4kw for each string earlier. So what @unkel said above sounds about right.

Still, I will split my shed string into two of 6 and parallel them as they are almost flat and in summer they will be blasted by the sun.

So nice to see the batteries getting 6-7kw earlier when the Solis would derate to 3.5kw and then start exporting - none of that nonsense now.

The sunsynk has 4 inputs so split them into smaller strings to get to the nice voltages, s'all good.

I think it can also take up to about 10kwp

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭zoom_cool

Does any installers install the Sunsynk inverter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

Looking good and excellent to have such high rate of charging/discharging. Dumped the Solis myself for a sofar with continuous 100A charge/discharge after all the fake 100A charging advertising of the Solis.

Funny thing is people used to say on here a 3 hour window of nighttime charging on smart plan at 100A wasn't good for the battery but yet now we all hail the 6-7kw charging off newer models via PV 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

Is there 4 inputs for solar PV on the 8kw version. That's excellent and assume each string can take that 450v input?

• Advertisement

Well the batteries are 1C at 50a so four them add up to exactly the charge/discharge rates but because of the 9 hour window of night charge I don't think I ever charged at more than 25a from grid, so 6a going into each battery is nothing. I suppose the 1C only applies to pv charging but because I only have 8kwp it will rarely (if ever) see all that go into batteries. It will come into play if I ever end up on the stupid 3 hour window.

Yeah it still has two MPPTs but it parallels 2 inputs per MPPT.

100kwh sunsynk hybrid anyone? @unkel ?🤣

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeDK_UG5tJU

CALBs can take 0.5C continuously. So if you have 50kWh in CALBs you can continuously charge / discharge at 25kW, or 500A. Need some fat cables though 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭smax71

Just trying to get my rather thick head around this stuff. I currently am talking with an installer who is reluctant to agree to installing a 6kw inverter as it will exceed the ESBN 25amp limit post 31 May. As a result I'm being told the 6 kw inverters will be obsolete and not a available. How then can you guys be installing this 8.8kw inverters? Is this being done in the grey fringes of what's officially possible or is there a way to fully comply with limit even if inverter excess the 25amp limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

I’m interested in the sunsynk 8.8kw inverter but has anyone got a list of cables and other equipment needed to complete an install.

I can fit 16 panels on my roof which is south facing with no shading.

Trying to work up a budget here.

I’m also interested in panel recommendations as well. The LG Neon H Bifacial LG435N2T-E6 have been recommended before.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Why would you fit bifacial panels, they won't add much output if fitted on a roof.

Also it's your money, and you never mentioned what you were priced for LG panels, but they are going to be much more expensive than other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yeah, I'd go with Mr Q above. Bifacials (generally) aren't worth the money. For the excess you pay on each panel, you could simply add 1-2 panels to the array and achieve the same output. That said, I guess they are useful though if you have a small roof and your limited by space and you want to eek out every last watt out of the roof, but most (95%?) people won't need that - just add a few more panels.

Any other suggestions ?

16 is the max I can currently fit on the south facing roof. If I wanted to add more I’d have to split between an east and west roof

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

You may want to do that anyway? For sure it depends on price, and how much money you have available. South facing obviously is the direction which generates the most, but an East/West split actually generates 85% the amount of South. The disadvantage of south is that it comes on as a big peak at (funny enough) noon. So your there pumping out 5-6Kw. You battery might only be able to take 3Kw, or it's full. Then what do you do with the rest of it? Exporting now isn't the curse it was 1-2 years ago with FIT.

East/West split for 8-9 months is IMHO the best. You have power coming online from 8-9am. Here's a good day I had last week. Was generating 1Kw from my east roof at 7:30am. I've more on my west roof below, but that's because of velux window on my east.

Or go a mix. Maybe 10 panels on the south and 10 panels on either the east/west roof depending on where you need power more. Most people that would be in the evening (west) Shading issues notwithstanding of course, i.e. that your roofs don't have a chimney etc.

mine are exactly east/west too above.

If you're not going to expand, a Sunsynk 5.5kW would be plenty. But if you do want to expand, you could parallel the 16 as 2 * 8 panels, using just 1 MPPT of a Sunsynk 8.8kW. Then you could parallel a W and a E facing string on the other MPPT (provided those strings are similar panels and same number E as W)

Sunsynk 8.8kW is a lot more expensive and hard to get though. I wouldn't get one if I were you unless you were near certain you will expand

• Advertisement

I plan on future proofing with the inverter and the hope would be to add more panels down the line.

I currently have the brackets on the south roof installed so that’s where I’ll be adding panels first. The east/west option would only allow me to maybe add 8 more panels split between each roof. There’s an option for the shed roof which would allow another 8 panels that’s east facing with slight shading.

Advertisement