Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should there be an obesity tax?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

No doctor is required to confirm a person is obese a mirror will do that, if that fails a weighing scales will suffice.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

Might as well euthanise all over-30's while we're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Correct, take a look around this country it’s one of fattest in the EU and it’s getting worse needs to be tackled now that’s a pandemic.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

You're making an assumption that thin = healthy by saying that. As a GP said to me once, you can be outwardly a healthy weight but have fat clinging to all of your internal organs causing high cholesterol for example.

I'd love to see the traffic light system of food labelling brought in, I think too many people don't know what is or isn't good for them to eat and everyone has different needs. I know people who think a gluten free cake is somehow nutritionally better than a regular one or that protein bars and low-fat foods are good for you when often the opposite is true.

• Advertisement

"nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" - Kate Moss

I think we've been here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It is normally the people from lower socio-demographics that are overweight, because of lack of education on nutrition. So an obesity tax (tax sugar - alcohol - cigarettes) is an indirect tax on the poorer in society.

Or more generally some people have underlying issues because of stress. And are mentally weak willed. In that case an obesity tax is a tax on the mentally weak and lazy.

But, the real irony is the fast food stuff is way more expensive than the healthy stuff. Veggies are miles cheaper than fast food.

If people are obese it is basically their own fault, people can dress it up in the new fangled 'fat shaming' guff if they like. But the truth is many obese people do not want to help themselves.

Rather than an obesity tax, obese people should be made to do tours of hospitals, rehabilitation centres to give them a jolt to cop themselves on.

I have seen very severely disabled people, some blind, some missing limbs, some in wheelchairs exercise - and feel the benefits of it.

I often think instead of operation transformation you have a 'hunger games' type version, giving the overweight people incentive to move their lard arses. Obviously not using real guns, just minor electric shocks and so on.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

It’s cultural thing now in Ireland, I wouldn’t put it down to smoking - I’d be interested to see an analysis done on it.

From a personal perspective I think our drinking cultural may play some part in it but certainly not the entire issue.

A hunger games tournament. Always a good basis for inclusive mindset.

You don’t need to eat sugar to be obese btw - sugar tax is not working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭rogber

Obviously there should not be. But unhealthy foods should be taxed higher so at least people are encouraged to eat healthy.

And the media should stop pretending that "plus sized" models or obese people on beaches are attractive etc. They aren't

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gunner5

I think its easy for some to say that being fat is a choice. Some people have weight issues from younger years. Some never had access to playing sports on the regular because the option wasn't there or parents couldn't afford it. Some people suffer anxieties and depression that makes losing weight extremely difficult and on top of that you want to punish those who are actively trying to get healthier but can't?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,792 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

But, the real irony is the fast food stuff is way more expensive than the healthy stuff. Veggies are miles cheaper than fast food.

not a fair comparison at all. veggies are uncooked or ingredients. you're not factoring time in your expense calculation.

You're falling into the fallacy that of cost and image.

This is not a crowd you want to develop a limp on hike with. Real lord of the flies stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Standardized labeling would go a long long way to helping as well. I track most of what I eat on Myfitnesspal, but some stuff is purposely obtuse.

Take brown rice, (and I'm picking figures off the top of my head) - The label shows for 100g, its 160 calories, and then they have a 'serving size of 160g which comes in at 220 cals - so far so good.

where the confusion comes in, is the small print where it says 'as prepared' - so the weight when cooked.

Different brands will list it as 'as sold' which is the uncooked weight - vastly different calories if you're not paying attention.

You don’t need to eat sugar to be obese btw - sugar tax is clearly not working

A a 12 year old child could cook something healthy and nutritious in about half an hour if they were taught. It starts at home.

If the mindset at home is call for a pizza, buy fizzy drinks, that is where it starts. If the mindset at home is eat healthy have fruit around the place that is where it starts.

If people are hungry instead of constant unhealthy snacking, water/fruit can fill a rumbling tummy. And soup can be made and kept for a few days. All common sense stuff, no excuse in this day and age.

But many obese people like looking for excuses, and almost applaud themselves when they find one.

Inclusivity does not work with those problem cases that do want to help themselves. They just become a drain on those around them and society in general. Yet the mindset seems to be those who are not obese should bow down to the 'poor me' attitude many such people have.

In what way are you being asked to "bow" down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

More value to teaching some kids life skills such as cooking, meal preparation and nutrition as opposed to subjects like physics where 80-90% of it won’t directly impact any element of your life after school.

I will give you examples, the language has changed. No longer can you say the word 'fat'. Apparently it has become a taboo word. As if changing the words somehow hides/softens the reality. By non obese people allowing the narrative that is too difficult for obese/overweight people to lose weight that is bowing down to the guff. Such as it is in the DNA etc all sorts of excuses are allowed these days.

The narrative 'fat shaming' has been invented. Then in turn used as excuse by many obese people. But the reality is if most people saw an obese person putting a REAL consistent effort (not pretence) with their health they would say 'fair play' and help them.

By non obese people buying into the created narratives of not using the word fat and so on, it further enables the obese person to hide from the truth, especially those who are brilliant at looking for excuses not to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The answer is simple they should make all supermarket and fast food outlet entrance doors really narrow so only thin people can get in and out.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Exactly and don’t forget people with bad hips let’s tax them as well for inheriting bad bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

ffs, how do you apply the tax ? It has to be provable, the only person who is entitled to do so is a doctor… a mirror can’t write a letter calling you obese,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Agreed, I find this so confusing and frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭babyducklings1

People stuck on screens all day and night that could be a factor especially with obesity in the young. Why don’t they make home economics and cookery classes compulsory at second level and teach kids how to prepare healthy meals from scratch. So many people can’t cook so will go for the take away or frozen people. People working long hours as well, they can’t face cooking probably ( can’t blame them) it’s go for the convenient stuff.

So by bowed down you meant not allowed to use lazy judgement stereotypes and sweeping generalisations. You want to be allowed to fat shame people you know nothing about.

Glad you cleared that up.

A more active lifestyle helps. But I'm guessing not because of the exercise. Because you can't out run your mouth. But because you eat less because you've something more engaging to do.

Perhaps. Theres a lot of different issues at play. I'm no expert.

• Advertisement

You are part of the problem. Fat shaming' is a new invention which is used as an excuse by lazy obese people looking for an OUT - TO GIVE UP. TO BE DELUSION. TO BLAME EVERYONE EXCEPT THEMSELVES. NO PERSONAL responsibility.

You have jumped to the narrative of 'judgemental stereotypes' and so on. THE CREATION OF ANOTHER FALSE NARRATIVE - GIVING AN 'OUT' FOR OBESE PEOPLE NOT TO TRY.

It does not help people with the 'poor me' mindset and it only enables them to continue with the 'poor me' mindset.

What exactly is 'fat shaming' anyway - saying someone should look after themselves, or they are at risk of heart attacks, back pain, knee pain, breathing difficulty, mobility difficulty, cancer, diabetes, and so on?

Because if that is 'fat shaming' and how it is framed the health sector must be 'fat shamers'?

Is that how the new narrative works?

Advertisement