Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Opting out of Smart Meter Program

Options
  • 28-09-2022 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

I have a small solar array and Zappi/Eddi for surplus and would not really economically benefit from FIT in comparions to maintaining my day/night meter.

Are there specific steps/notifications that I have to do to officially opt out of the smart meter program? Are there set templates with set scripts to display on the box to installers?

I get the impression that once the smart meter is in, you're snookered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BagofWeed

smartmeter@tli.ie Email them with your name, address and just state that you do not wish for a smart meter to be installed and that TLI have no permission from you to access your property. I done it few years back and they emailed me back and left my property alone. One of me neighbours got one in and his bill has gotten far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Your specific issue currently is with the smart plans which are currently available. If you go to the lengths of ruling yourself out of the smart meter programme, you could be shooting yourself in the foot, for when eventually smart tarrif rates are favourable to day/night meters.

Smart meters are not evil, they offer increased functionality to the end user and more accurate billing. The issue of smart tarrifs not being competitive is a seperate issue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Gerry

yup people need to bear that in mind and separate the meter from the tariff. the tariffs can change easier than the meter.

Why not get the smart meter in (when they're installing them in your area) and simply remain on your existing tariff? Having a smart meter doesn't compel you to switch to a smart tariff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

I don't get why people don't want smart meters - usually its the not so smart people that object to anything and everything because they have nothing else to do.

Same faces popped up against 5g masts (remember they caused XXXX (fill in whatever disease you want)), wind turbines (birds dying, flicker disease and they even said cancer) and anti covid vaccines

I've a smart meter for almost 2 years. I moved to a smart meter price plan earlier this year.

My bills are LOWER than last year when comparing identical months even though the daytime unit rate is over 40% higher.

It is SO SIMPLE - event the "not so smart anti everything shower of fools" could work them out and plan their usage and save money.

My bill for August was €86 - including standing charges and vat. Decent size rural house. Washing machine, dishwasher, immersion, Iron, cooking, fridges and even a bit of tumble drying. Almost 70% of use was 2am - 4am at 8.13c/unit. All it needs is just a little amount of smart matter between the ears.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Good man Walter, 9.16c/unit ain't bad except if you were on a Day/Night rate with Energia you would have been paying 5.8c/unit and not for just 2am to 4am it's for 9 hours every night so your early morning kettle boil would be included at night rate.

But you can't avail of this because you have a (Not so) Smart Meter.

SMART meters include log calculations, "they" will know what devices are being used e.g. EVs and then there will basis for taxing home charging, also with SMART meters "they" can throttle usage or even cut you off.

No thanks

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

can you please show me and everyone else where that 5.8c a unit rate is.

(and I made an error - it is 8.13c and I got €150 credit)

Please don't quote last year's rates - quote August 2022.

I have energia's best day/night rate in a holiday home I have (not a smart meter yet). It is NOT 5.8c a unit for night time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

Sure, from my current fixed pricing plan with Eneriga that expires next month (so valid for August and September 2022)

and from October 1st the new fixed plan is still cheaper than 8.13c and no worries about price increases

@irishchris I signed up a few weeks back before the hikes and as I don't have a Smart Meter they can't change the rate until the current billing cycle completes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Day/night tariff(usually cheaper} cannot yet be replicated on the not so smart meter, it is advisable to refuse them if you are currently using D/N meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

So, you load shifted the majority of your usage to the early hours, and that resulted in a lower bill(you could have done this on a D/N meter as well and you would have had a much longer window to load shift,) your lower bill had nothing to do with the smart meter.

My bill for august was 34e.

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/not-so-smart-meters-how-some-new-smart-plans-have-customers-paying-more-not-less-for-energy-bills-42013780.html

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Why I don't want a smart meter.

It's more expensive for me than a day night meter

Currently on

27.4 day, 7.9 night, renewed at the start of August. Also fixed for a year 😉

Energias current ev rate is now 35.78/10.31 (all prices are rising in oct)

Find me a smart plan cheaper than that now. That's all I ask

I know the standing charge is higher for a day/night meter.

I have had energy monitoring for years, even before I had solar. Once off cost, and far more responsive too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I currently have a digital day/night meter. If I get the smart meter can I remain on my current day/night tariffs. If affirmative can I retain theday/night tariff plan if I switch suppliers.

If you get a Smart meter you cannot avail of your current day/night rates

Yes to Q1 and, unfortunately, I don't know to Q 2. Good question though. Can anyone advise?

They are not switching people on day night to smart meters.

They can't just take you off your DN tariff and stick in a smart meter (by default a ,24 tariff)

You can switch to a smart meter if you pre-arrange a smart tariff or 24 hr tariff to move to. You can't stay on the day night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Thanks for the answers. I'm happy with the day/night tariff plans & will be keeping my digital day/night meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Smart meters are not evil,

Too true, but the thinking behind them is. They tell you that you can use appliances at a cheaper rate in the middle of the night, for instance, but this is an anti-social time.

They will also put the price sky-high at peak hours; and if you have kids as so many of us do, they have to be fed, bathed etc at these peak times when you are paying top dollar for your electricity. You simply can't cook a child's dinner or turn on the immersion for their bath or run their shower at 2 am. And this is the real reason for introducing smart meters, it's not a green measure, although it's portrayed as such. It is an attempt at getting a captured audience to pay higher prices when people have no alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Energia are not offering any smart logging, also if like us you buy house with a smart meter already installed or even move house renting, you have to then take a smart tariff.

Keep your old meters for as long as possible

You can move to a day/night tariff with Energia, they will take it from there and arrange for your Smart meter to be switched for a Day/Night meter with no cost to you apart from the phone call you make

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Can I ask a stupid question, why would they change the meter for this?

Is the smart meter not capable of logging the time?

The Smart Meter cannot handle Day/Night tariffs, beggars belief but true!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

I don't get why people don't want smart meters

Well one very good and non-emotive reason would be that smart meters use 2g connectivity which has very weak encryption and is easy to hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,563 ✭✭✭zg3409

OP. Have you received a letter saying you are getting a smart meter? There is typically a contact number on that letter.

I also put a paper sign in meter box and on the day they attempted to install one by going to "wrong" house as in they were doing every house except mine.

If you already have a night meter it's unlikely they will offer a smart meter, as no plans are the same on smart meter. That happened to me a few years ago at another address. They basically said they "could not" install a smart meter if I have a night meter. I assume they could but then I would no longer be able to get 9 hour night rate plans anymore.

If you refuse a smart meter (you may not need to see above) then you won't get paid any feed in tariff. If you get solar panels it's likely they will try upgrade very old meters that run backwards or run slower when exporting. They know they are losing money on anyone who has a mechanical meter and panels. Even if a mechanical meter cannot run backwards but run slower you are getting a 1:1 rate on exports as in if you pay 20c to buy you export and meter may slow by 20c a unit unless you are exporting more than importing.

If you move from smart meter to day/night you will not receive any deemed export FIT. If you are already on day /night you will, up until the smart meters are setup to work with day / night tarrifs.

The meters themselves can, it's just not been implemented yet

Any chance of including a link to where us mortals can avail of this cheap electricity with fixed rates for a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

If you move from smart meter to day/night you will not receive any deemed export FIT.

Not true apparently.

Switching from a smart meter to a day/night tariff is allowed and you still qualify for FiT via deemed export.

If you are on a 24hr tariff and you refuse a smart meter then you forfeit the right to FiT.

The key is you need to go on a d/n tariff.

That’s what ELM327 has been told and has done.

• Advertisement

I have heard it's not fixed anymore but here's the plan

I'm on my second year of it now, up until the end of July I was on 20c day, 5c night.

Advertisement