Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

solve the housing problem easily...some solutions?

Options

Comments

Cut the energy regulations,we are building A rated homes,running into 100 of thousands extra

when there's millions here were raised in cottages and bungalows,which rate B1 to B3,and are perfectly fine,modest homes to this day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Deeec

• Build basic housing as social housing
    • Social housing should only ever be considered temporary - no such thing as a house for life and it should be checked and verified contstantly. There should be incentives to encourage low paid workers to buy and leave their social housing. Councils should never ever be allowed to sell their social housing stock.
    • New build estates when giving planning permission should have caps set on selling price. The days of developers making huge profits should be in the past.
    • Encourage muti generational living - offer incentives for granny or granddad to move in with her son or daughters family thus freeing up the elderly persons house for sale or rent.
    • Offer lower social housing rent to families who share - for example Mary and her 1 daughter live in a 3 bed council house. Marys sister Ellie lives down the road with her 1 daughter in another council house - encourage them to live together by charging a lower council rent thus freeing up a house.

Ive seen this ' high cost of services ' argument time and time again against rural housing. When I got planning permission I had to pay €11K for maintenance of roads and services ( we have no services though) to the council as part of the planning conditions. I pay for my own hedge cutting, the road I live on hasnt had any maintenance for years, I have my own water ( well) supply which I paid for in full and maintain myself, I have my own sewerage system again paid for in full by me, electricity connection was the esb just taking a wire a short distance down the road ( which I again paid for). Us rural one off houses are happy to pay for own services thank you. How are urban centers subsidising me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

This exactly. In my county its 9k you pay and what you get? Nothing. We still pay every year to cut edges, wont get planning without making sure you have proper waste water facitities, no public lightening etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,226 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You are 100% correct, and rural Ireland has lost services because of the McMansions and one-off housing dotting the countryside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Look at where tax is collected and where its spent. I'm not stating an opinion I'm stating a fact.

You paid 11K when you got planning permission. Great. The house will be used a residence for what 50 years ?? that's €220 a year. Less in real terms..

I just spent €6k to tar a 230m3 driveway.

Your also 100% car dependant for the rest of your life. Is your local village dieing ? Post office ? pubs ? When was the last time you used those facilities ?

Villages will continue to die untilt their populatiosn grow, One off houses do not contribute to villages the same as residents for the simple reason they once htey are in the car anyway they are more likely to go to the nearest town..

No other country in Western Europe allows the level of one off construction that we do. None,

You obviously have no clue what you are talking about? How am I costing more to the taxpayer. Have you any idea of what rural Ireland is all about?

No my local village is not dying. I use my local shop/post office every day, my kids go to the village school, I attend the village church and my kids are part of the local gaa. Rural housing keeps rural communities thriving. Do you honestly think one off houses don't use the services local to them?

Yes we need 2 cars but so does my friends who live in towns and city so what difference does it make. Look at any housing estate and you will see 2 cars parked outside. The notion that every service is at an urban dwellers doorstep is nonsense or why do they need cars.

Have you ever even been to a country area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Stuff that would make a quick difference, introduce a significant " derelict " or " unused " tax. 5% of the value of property. That will start putting homes onto the market. Allow auxiliary development units like they do in the US etc, effectively small homes to the side or rear of main house.

Build way more homes for the elderly and encourage them to "rightsize" of course if there was a meaningful LPT this would already be happening...

Total overhaul of planking laws. Non of this will ever happen though. The housing situation is going to keep on getting worse... biggest culprit is the Taoiseach and the anti development councils . not some pawn of a housing minister with no power or support...

Oh and I forgot, read an article the other day about single people in social housing, in 3 or 4 bed properties. Scandalous use of a resource they are getting for free. Sort that out immediately...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

local authorities/the government should be given the power to seize derelict properties, or long term vacant properties, and sell them at auction.the funds raised go into an escrow account, and if the original owner comes looking, they get the money minus a 10 or 20% handling fee.

planning permission for multi-unit developments should last no longer than one year and should be tied to whoever sought PP. this would prevent developers buying land, getting PP and just sitting on the land as the value skyrockets without them having to do a thing, before selling the land on. if you get planning permission, it should be part of the 'contract' that you provide what you are seeking permission for.

i'm scratching my head at some of the suggestions about being able to evict people easily or social housing is not for life, etc. evicting people solves nothing in regards to the housing problem. unless you believe that making people homeless to free up housing stock is a valid option.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Roads would need to be there and maintained regardless. You may have realised over the last year or two that your food doesn't actually originate in a shop.

There is no point just being jealous because other people have a nice house with a bit of space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

There arent that many airbnb in Ireland relative to other countries. I heard many dropped out of the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

If you attempt to build "basic housing as social" expect to have uproar from the usual gangs, you are treating people with disrespect. You will have the opposition reading out letters in the Dail etc etc etc. It would be political suicide to tell people on social housing they shouldn't get access to the exact same house a person buying gets

Social housing is considered temporary, but once people get into the house they won't move. The current government and opposition want to make sure they never have to move either with the changes in law. So a person gets social housing they just hang onto that house till end of life in a lot of cases

Unless the government is building the houses you cannot and should not put a cap on housing prices. If you are doing that then everything should be capped in terms of profit, comrade :-) I find it strange that people want to cap builders/carpenters etc in one trade because they are making a profit while have no interest in the rest of market. Is the plan here to tell a carpenter that no you can't make 100 a day, you can only make 50 a day because we have capped the house price, but Im ok because I work in IT and I can make whatever I want a day while benefitting of you working on lower wages when I want to buy my house?

Telling Granny & Grandad who have spent their life paying off a mortgage and finally get time to enjoy the house, sorry, out you get and hand it over while you can be shoved in with son/daughter and a load of kids. will work for some people but majority will want to stay in the house they worked their life paying off. Of course some will down scale as well but at the moment I have a neighbour who wants to do that, but they can sell but no option to buy then as market has no supply

You will find Mary and Ellie both have long term partners, they will never get married because they would lose all the benefits they get from been a "single mother".

Not trying to be negative but the points above I can't see working. Especially in terms of social housing unless we make huge changes, the first should be making the tenants pay their rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Might be unpopular with the media, but it'd be popular with voters if messaged correctly.

Social housing is really really important, but the inefficient, fudge of a system in place means its not fulfilling its function in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

All parties are going in the other direction and seem to think pushing as much money as possible into social welfare is the answer....

I would expect it would be popular with voters, especially the people working every hour available to keep above water, but has any party any consideration for those people or just see them as a tax cow to milk

Has any party come out and said they will fix the non-payment of rent in social housing for instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Allow houses or multiple row houses in crappy cookie cutter housing estates built in the last century to be knocked and rebuilt with apartments of six or seven stories.

Look at the state of large parts of Dublin, row after row of shoddy looking small old houses that can't be knocked because of 'planning' and 'need to keep the same look'. The same shite look you mean.

Build up along the commuter routes .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Build sis storey blocks in the middle of Dublin.

CPO the one storey cottages in Drumcondra and replace them with six storey blocks (no compensation).

CPO that Sorrento terrace (no compensation in this case) and build a huge tower block.

Same at Sandymount / Sydney Parade (no compensation).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Agree with ya there. There should be no planning permission for single houses in urban center's, only multi-family properties. We need to take a leave out of European cities and build mass multistorey apartments. One road caters for whole blocks rather then a few houses.

You don't see the problem do you?

If the highest earners can only afford the cheapest housing then where does that leave everyone else?

Why shouldn't they leave to better themselves? Enough come here to do it

Does everyone prefer high density ?

I actually prefer lower. Dublin was a far nicer size 20 years ago.

Pity all the growth didn't go to the other cities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

Build it n they will come!

Some senior civil servant said recently that no extra funds should be put into providing housing as it's bad value at the moment and Sinn Feins Eoin o broin said he should be sacked. More, more, more! What could possibly go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

It allowed the big cities to grow. Dublin is hamstrung at the moment. Building high rise around the luas routes would solve some of the problems with both housing and traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

3d printed houses. Cheaper, faster, less waste and modular

Tax the rich. Anyone who owns 2 or more houses that are vacant for more than 6 months is just asset squatting and they should pay 5% a year tax on the value of that property on top of any other LPT

Same with Derelict sites where the house is in a residentially zoned area. Use it, or lose it

Holiday homes should be taxed at BIK rates. You want to have a 2nd house that you use for a few weeks a year, then you're either renting it out the rest of the year, of you're paying a tax to leave it empty. Resources are scarce. Having vacant properties in rural and urban Ireland is actively detrimental to that area. Villages and towns need people to survive and thrive. Ghost towns are no good to anyone.

Ban anyone from outside the EU from buying property in Ireland unless they are buying it for them to live in and they can prove that they are in the process of moving here within the next 6-12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

you don't see that thats a separate issue from what i was talking about, do you.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

High quality retirement housing, with medical centres, accessible shopping, social spaces, etc.

Essentially, incentivising elderly retirees to sell their homes (or rent them) and use the money tax free to pay for a much much better quality of life, but freeing up family homes for families.

If you drive down any road built in the 1960s or 1970s (and there are plenty in Dublin) there are a lot of 1500 square foot homes on 1/8 of an acre with one or two occupants for several decades at a time. Expensive to heat. Expensive to put in accessible services. Not ideal.

Put a beautiful landscaped retirement community out in Kinsealy or Balbriggan, single story tracked housing, free shuttles to the town (and to the city), accessible shopping and medical facilities, govt subsidised, and get these people out of their houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That’s what is happening unfortunately.

and some of those people who arriving and being housed and provided with cash supports and free medical cards ahead of citizens and taxpayers were still heading down to church st. seeking assistance from them in terms of clothing and food and toiletries etc…

staff were livid but told by their overseeing clergyman at the time… refuse nobody…. He’s retired now though so appropriate service resumed. 🪩

there will never be a cap on housing prices, would impact too many politicians and their friends / families…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

possibly a controversial take, but I strongly believe that allowing lads to leave school at junior cert level to pursue apprenticeships really needs to be brought back. Any lads who have the will to work and apply themselves (and they did in the past) will excel. I feel that by the time a lot of lads reach 18 or college age, they're less inclined to look at an apprenticeship as they've gotten a taste for the lazier side of life / having pints etc.

We're in a huge skilled trades shortage at the moment, and theres only so many 2nd world countries you can expect to have mass immigration from.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't think using significant funds to buy usable housing stock and destroy it before rebuilding is a particularly efficient use of those funds...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭arctictree

Extend the rent a room scheme to include landlords with one property.

I know of a good few that aren't bothering to rent out their properties because of the tax.

Advertisement