Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2022-23 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Is that what those two "stars" are? Do you know which one is which? I noticed them a few evenings last week but assumed that at least one of them was a poxy starlink satellite!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I heard the Aurora was good in Sligo too. I have never seen it before. I would have taken a spin up there if I had known about it in time!

I think we are in for a lot of cold rain in the weeks ahead if the UKMO long range is correct. For parts of England it maybe a different story. Those looking for Spring warmth could well be disappointed if it pans out as per their update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

I would say some parts will see falling snow from next week onwards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Good site here for observing the night sky, Jupiter above Venus. March the 2nd they will be very close and looking very bright in the sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Venus is the brighter lower down one, they are moving closer each evening and on Wednesday evening will be side by side and after that Venus will be the higher one. I say side by side but they're 600,000 000km apart.

If something is moving its either a satellite, the iss or a plane. If not moving its a star or a planet and if not moving or twinkling then its most likely a planet.

Plenty of good free night sky phone apps.

I see the Aurora maybe visible again tonight but too cloudy in most parts to see it. Good luck to anyone who does see it.

It was visible pretty much everywhere in Ireland last night provided there was clear skies.

Looks like full cloud cover tonight although fingers crossed there might be a few breaks here and there as the night goes on.

Judging by the Kp index the wind speed and the magnetic field flipped south its likely the aurora is out again tonight.

https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/auroral-activity.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Bitterly shockingly cold out here with not a breath of moving air to dissipate it even a little

Light just starting to emerge in its tranquillity

There were some magnificent cloudscapes yesterday; will try for photos if so today. The server went down yesterday.

West Mayo offshore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Some increasingly interesting charts for next week across all models. Wouldn't put away the winter woolies just yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I'd even be happy if we for a good covering of snow on higher ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

The fact that I haven't seen fit to log in to this message board really since before Christmas says it all on the state of this winter. Totally uninteresting from a weather perspective apart from the icy few days in December which were not that snowy anywhere really.

I always lose interest in cold and snow from start of March even if it is on the cards, even if it delivers, even if it is record breaking. Simply because the animal instincts in me are now firmly longing for Summer, and this rotten damp cloying easterly cold can just back off now, see ya next year.

Bring on summer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I could say this winter was one of the worst ever from a snow perspective, but at this stage I sound like a broken record because it's like this every winter now bar one or two exceptions.

Some places (midlands and high ground inland Kerry) did see snow away from Donegal and Northern Ireland which gets it every winter due to being much further north and north facing coastal advantages but for the rest of us it's the same story, a snowless, bland non event mild Irish winter.

The first 10 days of December held a lot of promise but the unstable snowy charts soon got replaced by dry frosty charts which resulted in the only 'white' grass for the entire winter, the rime frost was as close as we were going to get to an illusion of a snow dusting. This was the only saving grace of the entire winter as it was seasonal and looked pretty. Once this spell came to a very sudden end that was it for the winter away from the north-west.

The early December cold Spell was then replaced by a 3 week deluge which persisted for the rest of December and included all of Christmas and lasted into the first week of January. A truly horrendous spell of daily deluges and downpours but at least it was mild!.

This was followed by the mini cold snap in early January which had barely any influence throughout most of the south-eastern half of the country with mainly Donegal benefiting from some snow fall but a few north-western areas and some midland areas did see some short lived dustings/light snow cover away from coasts. This was also the start of the extended dry pattern which we are still currently in. Second half of January and most of February up to a few days ago were excessively mild to warm at times and mostly dry.

For me this is mild winter number 5 since 2018 so my confidence and excitement about winter 2023/2024 is very low as we could well be into a long, long pattern of mild winters. When will the next properly cold winter occur? Will we get one this decade or will we have to wait till the 2030s, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Mallorca got a huge dump of snow today, and Croatia. We got some in London this year some good downpours I think a couple iof weeks before Xmas.

Just doesn't seem to happen in Ireland any more especially dublin.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Meh. Cold spell in March isn’t that exciting. It won’t amount to anything for us here in Ireland. England could get hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Don't forget that Beast from East didn't happen till end Feb/March and then 3 weeks later we had snow again!

Personally I hate late cold weather, bring on the spring weather, I'm not a fan of snow so not bothered we didn't have any this year, apart from being disappointed for the kids.

• Advertisement

Just called family in Canada who are snowed in and have no power...

Bitter cold here; heavy cloud and the sky lightening noticeably to the east. Utterly still and silent. I find myself holding my breath lest I disturb the silence.... like being in an old fashioned library

That deep hush is what I love most out here. Just.... shhhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Conversely, it's overcast, dull, drizzly and breezy in Trim, Meath. Far from bitterly cold though as the drizzle would be light snow if it was that cold......one can only dream! Even out west there is a bit of a breeze, albeit lighter than further east. As the wind is generally from the east or northeast, I can only assume that you are on the western side of some higher ground and you are therefore somewhat cocooned by the effects of the light breeze?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Certainly not bitter cold here in Castlebar also. Infact its a nice calm morning with good visibility.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Spring has sprung so I've opened the Spring General discussion thread, I'll leave this thread going for another 24 hours or so if anyone want's to leave their thoughts about Winter 2022/2023.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058286376/spring-2023-general-discussion#latest

n fact I am offshore which affects the weather in interesting ways. The wind whistles between island and mainland...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Winter 2022/2023 was as dull as dishwater. The end.

But thank you to all of the fantastic posters on this forum for their contributions throughout the season, I'm always blown away by the level of knowledge a lot of ye possess. The weather forum continues to be a shining example of the good boards.ie does! See ye all again in Aug/Sept for Winter 2023/24 thread and I aboard the hype train once again.

Post edited by Loughc on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Seen this time lapse of the aurora on twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

That is beautiful !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement