Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2022-23 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Unless its going to be snowy, and less face it its getting too late for anything but midday melters now I'd rather we went back to unseasonably warm. Stick a fork in it, Winter 22/23 is done.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

Wanting snow in mid March is strange. IMHO. Lambing underway. Spring plants showing. Plants beginning to bud.

Snow wouldn't stick around with the angle of the Sun and the increase in daylight.

Not to mention Saint Patrick's day.

Just my take on it anyway.

Today showery but managed to get some things tidy in the garden. 10C.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

After 5 failed winters in a row I'm not expecting next winter to be any different, just more mild followed by more mild, maybe the odd cool atlantic spell. My excitement heading into each winter is getting weaker year on year.

The only difference with this winter was we entered Winter with so much promise only for it to meet a sudden death mid December and that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭esposito

Same can’t be said for our summers. At least they seem to be getting better. Summer 2020 being the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

Hopefully esposito. After two quite good summers with some great temps we'll all have high expectations this year. No guarantees at all that we won't be disappointed. Tis the hope that kills us here in Ireland but we might be lucky again.😀

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We have certainly being doing well for summer since 2013 with the exception of 2020 which was a brutal summer for lack of sunshine and temperatures less than 18C for the majority of it. Summer 2018, 2021 and 2022 were generally very good, last summer is one of my favorite's of all time with most of July and August above 22C. I hope this hasn't been a lucky run similar to the awful run of rotten summers between 2007 and 2012.

As for this winter I got bored of it back in early January but the long dry spell of the past 6 weeks was welcome especially after such a wet autumn and then the 3 week deluge which included Christmas. I would love the warmer than average temperature anomaly to continue uninterrupted to September. I hope we can get back to posting sensational UKV high temperature charts during July!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭pauldry

Today forecast was wrong for Sligo just a few hours in advance do those long term forecasts truly are a shot in the dark.

Was supposed to clear up here by 4pm and be less windy. At 630pm there's still a breeze and mist falling so no clear now and updated Met Forecast has clearance during night.

Really struggle to get a clear blue sky in Sligo any day and that clear weather in Ulster is only falling South leaving the Western half still in cloud but once there is East in the wind name we "should" get clearer sky.

Sick of misty dirt every day.

Out of 24 days 20 of them have had either some rain or misty dirt. So even though its been a very dry February here about 40 percent its still rained almost every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Not sure if you’re talking about Ireland in general or Meath specifically about winter died a death in December/5 failed winters in a row. Parts of Ireland had lying snow for up to 5 days in January just past.

January 2021 was below average everywhere. 22 stations had their coldest January since 2011. Parts of Ireland had multiple days of snowfall. More localised around the 7th but later in the month it affected many areas for 3 4 5 days. Mount dillion had 16 air frosts, Moore park in cork had 22 ground frosts that month. Minimum temperature of -8.2 at two stations, -12.9c lowest ground temperature. Across the north it was the coldest January since 2010. Lowest temperature recorded -10.5c. 32cm of snow recorded on the morning of the 25th at trassey slievenaman albeit it’s at an altitude of 264m but lowland snow cover was extensive.

When I talk about failed winters, what I mean is winters with very little snow in general. Donegal and other parts of North-West can do well from snow most winters for a limited time but for the rest of the country it's fairly dismal most winters. Frosts is something I don't really get excited by and we get them most winters but even they are becoming more rare in general.

Winter in Donegal and Northern Ireland in general is fairly different overall to the republic with a climate more similar to northern England or southern Scotland. The vast majority of the republic, particularly southern, south western, some midland areas and eastern areas has a winter climate more similar to south-western England.

The south of England had many frosts in January, far more than Ireland got and more earlier in February but still doesn't change the fact many people there were disappointed with this winter due to lack of snow or no snow at all (away from London and parts of the SE which got very lucky in the December cold spell). While it's nice to get cold frosty nights and days in winter, it's very disappointing that snow seems ever more difficult to get, cold and snow is what most of us winter lovers want.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A bitterly cold and eerily still early start to the day, met.ie speak of sunshine. on the phone to family in Canada who are expecting a 3 day blizzard..

Very glad to be where I am! The cold is bad enough...

West Mayo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Lovely dry day in fairness and some heat in the sun. I even had the lawnmower out and I wasn't alone.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Certainly no sun today in Meath, today felt fairly raw, the coldest day I've felt since early to mid January.

Nice day in Galway. Sun came out a few times when I was gardening and you could feel the extra power. It felt around 8 or 9C.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭appledrop

An absolutely bitter cold day in NCD in that wind.

However not as bad when the sun came out during the day at different times.

It will be a cold one tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Very pleasant. I was asking myself why I bothered putting on the fire at all today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Lovely day with a light easterly wind and great visibility. nice high cloud base. Great to get out and about

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Beautiful chilly evening here in Kerry. Jupiter and Venus earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

California desert more snowy than some parts of Ireland this winter.

Cracking day today. Loads of sunshine too. Its so dry. Reminds me of the start of Spring 2020 which was glorious for 2-3 months and really helped take the edge off the Covid restrictions. Everyone was out walking. Galway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Maybe som e will get to see the Aurora tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭lolie

Yeah its starting to show up well now on camera, bit faint to the naked eye but will hopefully brighten more. Just took this with a 7 year old Lg phone, 20 second exposure.

I took that photo about 9.15 and thought i posted it then but it didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Kutebride

A cool day Meath. Some random drops of rain on various parts of journey to Dublin. Bright skies too. Afternoon much cooler. Moon and stars before 9pm. All cloudy now.

Some stunning aurora photos going around. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

First time I've ever had to go down to 10mm to get all of the aurora in on an horizon. Taken from Tankardstown Coppermine Waterford Coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In my decade in Orkney, the " Merrie Dancers" as they call the Northern Lights, were a constant factor. I spent many a while outside, wellies embedded in deep mud, heart and eyes riveted by the display. They "sing" also! Sheer glory

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

5 years ago today marked the start of the "Beast from The East"

This is why I've given up for another winter. If we were to get a decent cold spell in March it would need to be getting going now and dominate the first week of March. After that we're into mid morning melt territory unless something exceptional happens. March begins on Wednesday and there are only bare hints of cold about 2 weeks from now so I think we're done here.

After a snowless winter here in Meath and indeed much of Leinster, Munster and parts of Connaught, it would be rather annoying to finally see some flakes fall in second half of March just to see them melt instantly on impact. I'd rather we just stay in a mild theme and bag ourselves a nice day towards the end of March with 17C, warm enough to enjoy at least one lunch out in the garden.

Winter had it's chance and failed miserably.

• Advertisement

Completely agreed with all of this.

Winter showed so much promise early December and then nothing. I feel like just accepting we are in a different climate these days, we don't seem to hit big highs or suffer big lows anymore.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement