Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2022-23 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Here's the top twenty warmest Februaries in the CET records and a link to the source. More generally, google "CET Hadley downloads" for the home page and for precip records it's EWP Hadley downloads which includes a regional section for NI.

Top 20 warmest months of February CET 1659 to 2022

(note ties are broken by second decimals not shown in the table)

1. 1779 __ 7.9
    2. 1869 __ 7.5
    3. 1990 __ 7.3
    4. 1998 __ 7.2
    5. 1794 __ 7.2
    6. 1903 __ 7.1
    7. 1945 __ 7.1
    8. 2002 __ 7.0
    9. 2022 __ 6.9
    10. 1961 __ 6.9
    11. 1872 __ 6.9
    12. 1867 __ 6.9
    13. 2019 __ 6.9
    14. 1914 __ 6.8
    15. 1739 __ 6.8
    16. 1926 __ 6.8
    17. 1750 __ 6.7
    18. 1702 __ 6.7
    19. 1997 __ 6.7
    20. 1790 __ 6.6

2023 to 19th 6.7 (est 6.9 to 20th, est finish 6.3)

2011 (6.4) was 21st, 1995 (6.4) 24th and 2020 (6.4) 25th

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/data/download.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yer a legend MTC

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Not sure why they don't format the temps like the precip and have regional values on the same site as CET, I imagine you can find those other regional temperature stats but they won't go back anywhere near as far as CET which was developed back in the 1950s by Manley and Hadley.

I've created similar temperature and precip ranking tables for Toronto (1840-present) and NYC (1869-present) and those can be found in the climate change forum over on Net-weather. I hope maybe sryanbruen or Oneiric3 will one day work up some similar long-term tables for Ireland, if the Met-E folks don't do it first. Something like the IMT (Irish Mean Temperature) that we use in the contests (five locations, Claremorris, Mullingar, Casement, Oak Park and Shannon), although it could be just one location with a long period of records. I work quite frequently with both IMT and CET and find that they are fairly similar most months, although in winter the IMT is usually 0.5 to 1.0 higher than CET, and in summer about 0.5 to 1.0 lower.

The CET for those not familiar stands for Central England Temperatures and it takes an average of three locations that are near Luton (Rothamsted), Oxford to Bristol (Pershore) and Lancs (Stonyhurst). This is basically like taking Birmingham but I suppose it would vary slightly at times. The EWP on the other hand takes regional averages for all of England and Wales. They also track regions of Scotland, and Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm currently tying my warmest March nevermind Febuary @ 8.9C mean. That will probably drop by next week but mad all the same

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Kind weather! Mild and gentle.... But gray...

West Mayo offshore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Apologies if its been mentioned already but its been an incredibly dry January and February in Dublin, not sure how its been in other parts of the country. Was just looking at the Met Eireann website and only 41mm of rain in the whole of January and just 13mm of rain in the first 20 days of February (only 9mm at Phoenix Park) !! I have to say I am normally a big cold weather winter fan but at this point, bring on Spring !

Gray rain ... all is dove gray today. Sky and ocean in monochrome.

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Its been another very pleasant day in Dublin. I have been out playing sport most evenings the past couple of weeks and hardly a drop of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Read something yesterday that’s there’s the first recorded technical drought in France during winter. Less than 1mm recorded for 30 days is the drought determination. I think the record for all seasons is 31 days which happened recently in March April period. Glanced over it quickly so I could be mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

You are correct.

Translation: The rain has not fallen in France since January 21st, a series of 31 consecutive days (February 20 included), unheard of during a meteorological winter. All months combined, this consecutive series equals that of the year 2020 from March 17 to April 16.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Majority of that 41mm of rainfall fell within the first week of January and since then it's basically been dry with the exception of some mist and drizzle at times. Not much rain showing over the next 2 weeks either, 10mm if we're lucky.

Cool cheers. I think they had drought conditions over the summer so it’s not needed.

Raining this past couple of hours up here. No drought here ha.

I went out for a night ride on my bike last night past Ballincollig in Cork and out the backroads to Farran as it was so benign. Beautifully calm and dry with bone dry roads and no muck or wind blown debris which is a rare treat for us cyclists at this time of the year. The moon was lovely and bright too. The last five weeks here have been remarkably dry after an unprecedented autumn deluge. This seems to be the pattern for us of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnFearCeart

Some snow in the southwest by morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

We've had rain or drizzle nearly every day for the last week. Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭appledrop

I know its a cliché but there is a grand auld stretch in the evening! So nice to drive home from work and it not been pitch black.

Noisy heavy rain in the night and the wind now is a steady background drone... Chill beyond pleasant.

Breath frigid.

West Mayo offshore

POW! Sounds like the end of the world out here.. Sudden vicious squalls... Howls, ... Now I know why the postman did not come over...

And bitter biting cold wind. True winter.

West Mayo offshore

Post edited by Graces7 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Hailstones in Galway. Good to see some signs of cold coming.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭lolie

No heat going to loss today, really noticable when the wind picks up. Still its great to get blue skies for a change. The birds definitely hungrier than in the past few weeks.

There's also a nice Jupiter Moon & Venus conjunction looking southwest after sunset this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A nice evening for viewing these now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gerry Murphy was spotted on a late evening flight to Spain after seeing the latest ECM run.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Seeing the 2 planets beside the crescent moon was a gorgeous sight this evening until around 9pm. So clear too. Thanks.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Icy tonight. Little bit of wintriness mixed in the last shower.

Bitter cold in utter still silence

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭highdef

Arrived at the house in longford just before sunrise. Temperature was -1°with calm conditions so didn't feel too cold unlike the bitter cold being experienced this morning out west. Still mainly clear with frost evident in the shade as I type.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A fair shot of snow from this one way back in 1933

A true winter evening.. A chill inhospitable wind huffing and puffing spasmodically as darkness asserts its nocturnal reign.

West Mayo offshore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

These global unseasonable temperatures in February really are incredible. I spent a few days mid month in Bratislava, Slovakia and while I was reasonably happy with the temps of around 6C I was delighted to escape the "heatwave" of the following week there where temps went up to 14C. 14C in a continental climate in February!! That has to be exceptional! I'd have hated it as I hate it here so was lucky the week I went. I'm a huge fan of crisp, cold winters. We used to have them here in Ireland one time, are they a thing of the past? Double digits seems very much the norm of recent years, alas 😏

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement