Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2022-23 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The cold spell in December was the main cold spell of the winter, despite the fact that the second half of December was very mild, the cold spell was cold enough to make December a cooler than average month overall. The cold spell in January was nowhere as cold as the December cold spell it only lasted a few days and it did nothing to change January into an average or cooler than average month. January still came out a very mild month overall for Ireland. February is now turning into a remarkably warm month, if we were to get a cold spell in final days of February it will do nothing to change the fact that February will be the warmest month of the winter overall. Some south-western areas of the country currently have a mean temperature sitting around 9C for the first 15 days of February which really is warm for the time of year, as we haven't really seen any cool or frosty nights since the cold snap in second week of January.

Winter 2022/2023 could also finish completely snowless for a large part of the country if we don't see any flakes between now and end of the month. (most of Leinster, Munster, some midland areas and mid western areas). Another very mild Irish winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Was reading that Jan and Feb have been breaking all kinds of records for warmth in New York this year, they've barely had a winter at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Indeed, Central Park was completely snowless in terms of accumulating snow until February 1st which was record late for first snowfall. The previous record was 29th January 1973. Can see for nearby Newark how persistent it has been above average through this winter in the graph below.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭pauldry

There's always a zone of the world that gets extreme heat in the Summer. I've a hunch it could be the US this year. Though nearly every continent is getting them now but just think it could be severe there this year.

Is there any website that shows the mean temperature for every month by year or even the top 10 warmest februarys and their temperature for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

No

Maybe raw data, but nothing compiled. Boards is one of the best places for this data, maybe Syran would have this prepared?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nice pass over the South yesterday by the ISS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Hit 20C here in NY today, warm rain started a while ago and it felt like Ireland in July.

Yeah there is no site to just straight up show you the data in a ranking order, you have to use the raw data and analyse yourself.

Here's a selection of synoptic stations and their 10 mildest Februaries since 1957. February 1998 was pretty much universally the mildest on record in this country with the likes of 2019, 2012 and 1961 behind.

Even looked for British equivalent and struggled. Thought I used to find that pretty easy before Met Office made their site more "modern".

Thanks Sryan. I guess I'll just be pestering you in the future warm months since google doesn't know.

Actually from googling I remembered 1998. I thought we'd be all melted by 2020 coz that years February seemed too mild. 2019 was another in my mind. Could February 2023 break them both or will cold towards end of month quell record attempt.

Valentia is the one to watch. Already at 9c for February. So certainly in with a chance of beating the 9.2c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Fairly blustery tonight. It has been a while since we have had any wind to speak of.

Ya and 13c at midnight. Temperatures remaining mostly in double figures till Tuesday then dropping off for the final week of February so records may be missed out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

A pleasant day in cork city. Could go outside for a walk in just a hoodie, rather then needing a jacket as well. Due to the lack of wind I presume because when that was there near the end could feel the cold

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My warmest Febuary in the 11 years recording here so far, current mean running at 8.3C wich is .2 above the next highest (2019), only 4mm rain so far too which is well below average. I'm liking it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

What does the stratosphere thingy mean exactly? Was trying to read the thread but couldn’t understand it really.

Is there a potentially cold couple of months ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Hooter23

That tells you how bad our summer weather is more than anything else...and 20C with rain in ireland in July would be considered a good day...New York is as far south as Spain is so its no surpise they can get temperatures like that this time of year...can get anything from beach weather to blizzard this time of year

Post edited by Hooter23 on

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Dear weather nerds, sorry . . . that term is offensive, let's start agin.

Dear weather enthusiasts, love your work normally but it would appear you have missed out on the upcoming colossal weather event that's being widely reported.

Now I know your fancy weather models might not agree but that's a real journalist who wrote that piece & not just a pretend meterologist.

So please put the above data into the computer & tell me how many feet of snow will be on my driveway 7 days from now.

Pleasure to be of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I have a feeling winter is not done with New York yet. Although you will probably have gone home by the time it hits there

Assuming you've read about the very basis of it with regards to downward propagation and all that, if not here's a nice Met Office explainer to get you on track.

It is no guarantee, nothing is in weather. It just enhances the risk of blocked patterns which in turn increases the risk of cold weather depending on where the blocking set ups.

If we are to get any blocked patterns directly from the effects of the SSW, it will be from the first to second week of March at earliest. The weather forum will be keeping its eyes firmly upon what the modelling show in the next few weeks and see if there's any effects. If we see anything earlier, it's likely the result of other drivers rather than the SSW.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note :Now that patronizing post smells very much of trolling and goading, in fact very poorly disguised at that. Save it for somewhere else and keep following the real journalists that you speak so highly of, I'm sure you will find the information that you want to read there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

It was pure sarcasm at the journalist & the state of journalism, I often post on this forum & appreciate the quality of those who can interpret those long term charts as in FI.

Now everyone chill, it's Friday . . . thought it was funny myself

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ttnov77

when feeding birds dont forget to clean feeders

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The wind is just easing after a wild wuthering night out here offshore. It has been a chilly while.

Oh a sign of spring here! While others speak of daffodils in bud etc?

My first blossom is a somewhat tipsey-looking dandelion... All lopsided... But a small splash of sunshine all the same...

And my early ambles are resumed. In the first glimmers of daylight with the haar softening the blessedly familiar contours of mountains and ocean. Chill and utterly windless tranquility.

And a change back to windgusts! This place expresses the wide range of weather so swiftly and with such LIFE and the clouds draping over the mountains change and move rapidly.

And a chill now..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Sorry to change the subject, was just trying to message Danno and I discovered that he was banned from boards at some point in January. Is there any discussion of this somewhere? I don't read all the threads every day, but surprised I hadn't seen a mention of this anywhere.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

He was not banned on the weather forum, he was site banned from another forum, so we know nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

Drizzle and showers. Awful stuff altogether.

Leitrim

• Advertisement

A gentle day. Mild and quiet. very pleasant to stand at the gate and gaze at the ocean..

West Mayo offshore

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement