Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2022-23 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The 2000s or ‘noughties’ were shocking for snow, there was ONE decent fall in the whole decade and that was at the end of Feb 2001.

There was that slushy Xmas in ‘04 and I think a dusting in Feb ‘05 but they were so insignificant they don’t count.

How ironic that a snowfall on the very last day of that snow free decade began an epic cold spell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Billcarson

The cold spell around Xmas 2000 was decent. Early feb 2009 not great but not bad. But a very poor decade overall .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I would generally agree that growing up as a child in the late 70s and 80s we were spoilt for snow. It was expected each and every winter that we would get at least a few days to a week off school due to snow, ice or frozen pipes. February 1991 was really the end of this extended run of frequently cold and snowy winters and since 1992 snow events have been few and far between.

Any kid going to school from junior infants to leaving cert year will probably only experience a school closure due to snow perhaps only once or twice in their entire school going life. A huge change from the almost annual closures of the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

I remember well joining Boards because of the snow of 2010!

The sheer buzz of frantically pressing F5 to refresh the page to see what was happening elsewhere and what snow reports there were (as this was well before the phone version of Boards)

It was great fun and BFTE I guess is the only other event that came closest to that time.

I love snow but I also love the buzz on this forum as others have said,it makes any snow event just brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The other thing, regardless of the weather that happens, is will it ever be the same again with the current state of Boards since the makeover in July 2021? Are we ever going to get an actual improvement to the site?

I consider myself very lucky getting to experience 2010 at the ideal time - old enough to remember but also young enough to still feel the innocence of childhood and not having a care in the world. I do envy those that got to experience winter 1981-82 and July 1985 thunderstorm though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭mcburns07

What’s actually wrong with the new Boards? I don’t find it any better or worse than the old version.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Yeah, i wondering the same, I see relatively little difference, the one improvement I see and like is when you go into a thread it goes to the 1st unread post.

That news years eve and last day of the decade was a night to remember, first there was a lunar eclipse and later on lamp post watching as falling snow rang in the new decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Quoting is an absolute [insert foul expletive here]

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The recent thunderstorms showed a massive increase in traffic to the thunderstorm thread and that caused a good buzz.

And if anything it’s now easier to upload pics on new boards so yeah I say we’ll be fine. All we need is a good weather event and the buzz would be back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Ok let me start...

1. Horrendous on mobile. As I am typing a new post, it randomly scrolls me to the top of the page and I have to scroll back down to where I was typing. Occasionally this would be extra annoying if there was a pic posted in the thread and from typing would accidentally press that pic now and again. This is also the case with reading if you take your hand off the screen. Makes mobile unbearable for me and if any of you haven't experienced this, consider yourself lucky. A few of us are not so lucky and it still isn't fixed. This never happened on the old site. Not great is it considering mobile is the future. It seems many users have this issue and have termed it "bouncing": https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058245395/can-you-please-just-fix-the-bouncing#latest.
    2. The search is broken and a pain to work through when it does decide to work. Sometimes it works back to a certain point and then stops working, doesn't show any more posts.
    3. Quoting as Danno says is an unnecessary chore to work out. The old way again much easier.
    4. Thanks are irrelevant but I'll list as a fault regardless. On mobile there's no way to work out who's thanked your post and on PC, you can only see a certain amount. On the old Boards, you could see every single one but again irrelevant.
    5. Another irrelevant miniscule thing that's more a nuisance, the new Boards ignores when the clocks go back and shows the wrong time.
    6. Drafts whilst a nice addition often save pointless posts, including those you accidentally type and then having to go to the drafts screen to delete. Thank god for drafts with the bouncing issue though!
    7. Mods can't move posts to appropriate threads or forums.
    8. I haven't had this issue but on mobile, apparently images take a while to load and the site scrolls elsewhere when one loads, going back to issue #1 which I have had.

It's not all bad, images are one positive. They were a pain in the hole on the old version to upload and having to use third party sites like Imgur. But overall I considered it a downgrade on the old one - whilst the old one had its own share of issues.

But anyway, the weather... I wasn't active on the thunderstorm thread so I can't comment on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Orion402

Looks to me like first world problems.

The emergence of the internet and newsgroups along with imaging, modelling (to a certain degree) along with other benefits still remains an amazing creative and productive centre of interest. Then again, when I am sitting in a seat and travelling at 500 mph in a plane I marvel that I can travel great distances in such a short time while others complain of short delays and so on.

Be grateful for what you have in front of you and all the human ingenuity that made it possible.

My thoughts on winter 22-23 - more of the same, brutal cold in North America (where there is no evidence whatsoever of global warming during winter months) firing up the jet stream so a mild winter in Northern Europe again. More pics of snow in Athens, Rome, Nice, Madrid etc as northern blocking is now a thing of the past,

’winter’ to begin next March and April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Sad description but probably will be true.

*books trip to Athens for 20 - 25 January.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

23c here in London today. There are tomato plants flowering outside ffs. Winter seems a long way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Agree fully. Being perforce - and through choice- as remote as I am, the internet is a veritable treasure trove. I chose no TV etc as being tied to times is something constraining in the extreme. My wide ranging interests find new fodder here on boards and the wider internet scenario. It is all a vast encyclopaedia coming alive... Reminds me of how one of my long gone cats used to home in on bird programmes then go-seek round the back of the laptop or TV. But then being all but 80, my early years were radio only. It is very different for today;s younger folk. and always hard to visualise a different life.

And yes, first world issues in many senses. The discontent shocks . It really does. Seeing the easy friendships here when so many are lonely or unwell... I am in touch with folk all over the world now even though I have barely been further than the gate let alone off island for several years.

Yesterday emails from Texas, Canada, the UK.. The first two folk are folk I have met often.

Mention of the snow winter! I was up atop the Bluestacks! Utter beauty. And boardsies made sure I had food and fuel and could share the utter glory of that time. And I have made good friends here.

And the sharing matters. As does the access to skills and knowledge and fine minds all over the world and from the past.

All we had when I was at Univerity was books that cost a bomb. And limited library access. I used to be in the University Library until they threw us out at 9 pm. Now I can study all night in comfort.

Please enjoy and value the internet... I am shopping for winter clothes tonight! Imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

That's the exact same with me was 2010 and 13 at the time, ever since I'm here for every weather tread

Life, like the weather, the ocean and the woods, is always in flux and nothing stands still apart from the spirit which takes excitement, joy and sorrow from all these cyclical things in sounds, smells and sight.

The internet provides the world's library of traditions and we are so blessed on that account. We move on the same surface as those people who noticed so we see what they saw in all areas of existence, including the life of Jesus. It is why vandalism of their works is so dismaying and often difficult to deal with insofar as the dominant subculture is presently full of doom and dire predictions which distract from what is exciting, normal and sad in existence.

I am sorry the people at Met Eireann and their followers here have decided to follow the American system for the seasons, which work off temperatures rather than the local traditions which begin winter around now based on daylight/darkness lengths. It is far more productive to think of midwinter on the December Solstice than the beginning of winter on that date. In the growing darkness, we look forward to the Solstice as a time where the descent stops and look forward to lengthening daylight after that.

For myself personally, I hope the winter is mild but there is always the excitement of an approaching Atlantic storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

"I hope the winter is mild" - Jesus Christ no

You know yourself, there will be people feeling the pressure of what is in the fridge at the moment so the less heating the better. There will always be storms and the occasional cold snap to entertain those who like them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah definitely mild is preferable at the moment for the general good. Plenty of time to come other hats the beasts from the east and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

If there’s definitely no decent cold and snow on the way well then very mild will do just fine.

None of this in the middle cold and wet stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭highdef

You either don't pay to heat your home or you've plenty of spare cash and spiralling fuel costs mean little or nothing to you. As much as I like snow and crisp ice days, as things stand I don't want them.

Not saying I want an entire winter of it, even just one week of snow and ice days (preferably in December) would be pretty damn sweet after the abomination that was last winter. Not too much to ask to have actual winter weather in winter!

Post edited by Niall145 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Don’t think you will have anything to worry about - it will most likely be a mild winter like the majority of winters in the last 11 years. I would like 1 week of crisp cold days.1 day of decent snowfall would be a bonus but that seems like a pipe dream these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I reckon we are in for a a wet windy and mild winter. Miserable and boring. It will be remembered for being yet another non-snow event winter.

JFF but the very end of the latest GFS run is showing the entirely of Ireland blanketed in snow by 15 November!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So by your logic then you never want a cold or snow day ever again. As the price of electricity/gas will never come down again unless the government steps in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Cumhachtach

The ending of the GFS 12z was eye candy. Maybe a fortnight too early. All change on the pub run.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement