Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2022-23 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Last week I was taping over any drafts I found coming into the house as I couldn't get the house to heat up. Today, I have the windows open to let air in as I find it very mild! Crazy change in temperature. (Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭highdef

If you're needing to open the windows to draw in exterior air in order to try make your house a comfortable temperature with it being about 11/12° outside, your house must be incredibly cold.

That being said, my house in Longford currently has temperatures in single digit figures and it's colder indoors than outdoors so it's quite plausible that you're in a similar situation and not have any heating sources bar stoves and plug in electric heaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It was - 5 here this morning. It's not often London is colder than Scotland! I am not looking forward to going back to the grey mist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

And a grey mist it certainly is with Knock reporting cloud overcast at 300 feet.

EIKN 231400Z 19008KT 170V230 7000 OVC003 08/08 Q1031 NOSIG

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

It's definitely on the cooler side (Celtic Tiger era build), combined with the heating timing still setup to be on all morning (From the week previous!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Very mild nationwide but southern England will be cold and frosty with that Arctic air still in place here, last night in the house was so warm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭appledrop

It's not a bit cold in Dublin today but it's very damp.

It has been like that for last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Foggy all day in cork city, it's the type of fog that traps all the fumes and smoke from the houses. My eyes were watering a bit waiting for the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 44 LaoisWeather

Clear slot over Laois and temperatures are dropping in response now the sun has set.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

It was great to go outside today and not be cut in 2 with a cold wind or soaked wet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 LaoisWeather

Cloud back in again, temperatures climbing in response. Got down to 6.7c, back up again to 8.1c.

BBC4 9pm. Killer Storms and Cruel Winters: A look back at Britain's most turbulent and dramatic weather history

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

4.30 am Tuesday and listening to a modest wind buffeting the building. Pleasantly mild. The path is sodden so there has been heavy rain overnight.

met ie tells of a fairly quiet, gray day ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,166 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Out for a run this morning and the running hat had to come off- quite mild with clear enough skies plus birds singing. Dublin 16.

Blissfully peaceful and mild. No extremes.. Just .... quietness. Calm ocean. A respite

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Nice day mild dry and a bit of brightness perfect for January.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a lovely day here in Meath at last, plenty of sun and feeling very mild, the stretch in the evenings is becoming much more noticeable this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Foggy again in Cork... thats three days of heavy drizzle and two days of unrelenting fog.

Five days with no sunlight.

Weak front moving down from the NW , much clearer behind it allowing for some nice sunshine tomorrow afternoon especially for the top half of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭highdef

Further west in Trim, it was cloudy all day with just the odd slither of blue to be seen a few times during the day. Very cool as well. Didn't bother with a walk at lunchtime as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Sure is, it's been dark up to 9am and dark again by 5pm. Like back in mid December. This is why I truly hate high pressure in January!! Though tomorrow looks brighter.

The charts look vile at the moment. It really does seem like Winter is over, but wait doesn't something have to start for it to be over...quite a few have seen ice days but snowfall has been non existent for the East/Southeast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

If you’re after interesting weather ECM is a bore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭pauldry

Nothing weather right into February. A couple of light frosts n meh!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

That pretty much sums up the entire winter so far here in Meath, 2/3s of the way through winter and nothing to show for it except for wind, rain and some frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

"Wind, rain and some frost"

But isn't that every Irish winter in 5 words Gonzo?!!

Blissfully quiet - with just a faint background effect of whispering wind... Very atmospheric ..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Nah frost is new this year. It's usually "Mild, Wet & Windy"

This winter is as standard as an modern Irish winter as you can get, nothing remotely special about it. If I don't see a dusting of snow between now and 28 of February it will be the 3rd winter in my lifetime to do so and they would all fall within the last 5 years. No snow settled winter of 2019/2020 which I think was the PV of doom winter. No snow settled last winter, I don't think we even saw a frost until the Spring. This winter plenty of frost in early December then a few frosty nights last week but as of yet no snow has settled. Next few weeks look largely completely and utterly snowless as well.

There was a signal for it to turn colder into the first and second week of February with cold zonality, giving a remote chance of some flakes in Leinster but now that is off the table too and replaced with a very mild setup until at least the start of the second week of February. The SSW has been a failure too with just a displacement instead. We may get an SSW at some stage in February but that won't have any effects till March/April so too late to rely on an SSW to save winter.

Our only hope is that the displacement does something to favour cold weather/northern blocking for the second half of February but I wouldn't be getting too hopeful about that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Gonzo you can forget about the Displacement doing us any favours, that ship has sailed. What we are relying on now is potent brief pm shots between systems for the next couple of weeks. Our only hope of deeper cold is after mid February via the Mjo in phase six or seven. This can facilitate high latitude blocking, but with a resurgent trop vortex I would not be too confident of that happening.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Naming of storms was introduced around 2015? This is the latest we have went without a named storm. I think the current highest gust of this season is 122km/h at Mace head. Pre naming of storms, I’m curious how how far back we have to go to find a similar low gust for an entire season. Could 122km/h even be a record low if it isn’t beaten this winter?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement