Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2022-23 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭BagofWeed

Wednesday and Thursday were the only decent days we had in 5 months here in Cork City bar the cold spell in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭mcburns07

100% and at least on very wet days you can take some solace out of the fact it’s contributing to the year’s rainfall and will be balanced out by drier days. This weather doesn’t even do that because the rainfall is so insignificant despite how irritating it is. Haven’t seen the sky since Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

You can't even go out for a walk, it really is just time confined to the house. Utterly abysmal and depressing, what a total waste of a weekend and a sickener to see friends in London out in blue skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It all seems to be panning out as the UKMO said it would-a high that would bring more settled conditions to parts of England, but gloomier with the risk of Rain further north, then the high to sink around early February. I am glad I am not around for this grey muck. At least we might get a storm when the Atlantic really takes over in early February

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭appledrop

6 year old up before me this morning and when I came down he had every single light on in the house downstairs.

I asked him why he had every light on and he said 'Mammy I have to its sooo dark'

How can you argue with that?

Turner knew what he was doing all those years ago when his paintings could only be shown in January when very little natural light.

Roll on February at least the spring flowers will start popping up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I was expecting the high pressure to become anchored over us for at least a few days as what was showing up to a few days ago, but it looks like the high is going to slip quickly to our west and instead we get winds around the high from the north-west over us instead which would keep things fairly cloudy and alot of dampness around despite very little in the way of rainfall.

The Atlantic looks like as if it's going to become very active for the first week of February. After that it's all up in the air what happens next. I think we will get another spell of cold zonality in February with a similar setup to what we had last week where the west and north-west could experience more wintry conditions. Unfortunately for those of us in the snow starved east and much of the south this would mean the wait for snow goes on in a winter that has been completely absent of easterlies. There has been no cold to tap into from the east either as eastern Europe has generally had a very mild winter up to now.

The warmings that take place over the next 2 weeks do not look like they are going to do anything to properly weaken the PV so that looks like staying in business for several more weeks at least which does not bode well for proper northern blocking. I feel we need a miracle of miracles to happen over the next 2 weeks to try and get a proper cold spell from the east/north-east for the second half of February.

Here in Meath this winter has been yet another trainwreck for snow up to this point with barely a flake all winter. Usually by now we would have gotten a temporary dusting of snow but so far we can't even get that. At least we've had some nice frosty days which is more than what we got last winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭giveitholly

After a damp start here in tipp it has dried out with the sun trying to break through,not a bad afternoon at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭esposito

Snow reported in Mallorca! You really have to laugh 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Of course you can, get yourself some waterproof gear & off you go. Feel great after it too, bit of exercise, fresh air & home dry as bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The irony is it might be a cold westerlies that finally delivers for your area this year . A few years ago there was a potent returning polar maritime that delivered snow fairly widely across Ireland . Granted its wet snow and does not last long, but I think dry snow from a North Easterly or Easterly is a very long shot now. Unless we see some dramatic changes in strat output for further into February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'm more than happy to go out in the rain with the waterproofs, at least you have a gentle pattering of rain, but this muck is much worse. Cold gets into your bones like no other weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The anticyclonic gloom and dampness is well established now and looks like continuing all week. At times it will dry up but no significant drying because winds will remain light. Indeed near coasts it could be quite damp and drizzly. It's a yawnfest 😆

By the time this high is projected to move off we are into 1st week of Feb. What February holds is anyone's guess but hopefully if it can't be cold we might at least get some type of weather!! As I mentioned days ago our enthusiasm for weather was certainly not born out of what's ahead this week

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Heavy drizzle and mist up until about midday here in Kerry, very mild especially when we got a burst of sun in the afternoon getting up to 11.7C, skies mostly cleared by late afternoon and fog formed at dusk in the still airs, down to 8.2C now.

Pic around 17.30

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lovely Sat pic from NASA last Thurs showing the snow fields and coated mountain ridges over Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thank you. I am reading back all at once and was beginning to wonder what this was all about. You are totally right. Weather is what you make of it.

May as well befriend it as it is here to stay!

It does not bother when it is grey or wet etc; always plenty to do. Walking in the rain is grand too. And yes, a bit of exercise will lift the mood. That is a scientific medical fact.

Your choice!

Very quiet night.... dry and calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Rescue Remedy

Bit of a booby trap in the Atlantic on Wednesday 🤭

• Registered Users Posts: 44 LaoisWeather

Overcast much of today in Laois, though the skies did brighten a bit around 4pm. We had 0.4mm from patchy light rain between 6am and 9am - none of which has really dried off and everything is damp underfoot. I notice paint peeling off like paper from outside boundary walls thanks to the freeze-thaw cycle of the last two cold spells. Another job awaits in late-Spring. Max today of 10.6c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Touch of frost possible in the west tonight.

Lowest temperatures of 1 to 4 degrees for the west of the country while further east, no lower than 5 to 8 degrees where any rain or fog lingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Nice one. I was looking for this on Tuesday & Wednesday and I couldn’t find it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Dazler97

The lack of rain has meant flooding at the front of my estate has receded, 2 weeks ago it was 9 inches deep and sand bags had to be up, i really hope we have a record dry February but then again i don't

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

For the first time in nearly 5 weeks the standing water at the back of my house has finally disappeared. This standing water resulted from run off water from the field behind my house began lodging during the first of the deluges after the December cold spell ended. Christmas week itself was the worst for daily deluges and this persisted to just a few days before the recent cold spell began. I hope i do not see conditions like this again for a long time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭pauldry

Today was a nice day in Sligo. Rained in the morning but then cleared and actually a fair bit of blue sky and mild at 12c. Went cycling with the kids and loads of people out walking. Was very pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

This month has been tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Doesn’t seem to be much cause for optimism for the remainder of winter proper. Roll on spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Carol25

Bit eerie in Rinville, Oranmore this afternoon. The mist had cleared & it was mild and calm which made a very pleasant walk. Place was very busy.

Fair weather only? Ah I see... ALL weather has its interest and features. A challenge yes,

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Cold really hanging on to the south east UK. -9c at Lakenheath atm and lots of -8cs around.

Meanwhile, this side of the Irish Sea, 9.7c atm in Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭OldRio

We had drizzle yesterday but the ground is drying. Standing water in fields slowly ebbing away. Warm as well therefore less energy costs. I'll take this.

Foggy start this morning and surprisingly mild first thing.

Leitrim

• Advertisement

a mild morning here in Meath filled with misty pigmuck. Hard to believe it's almost 20C colder in southern England. In one way i'm delighted with the dryer conditions allowing the land to finally start drying out but at the same time the clock is ticking fast now and winter is slipping away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement