Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2022-23 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Really bad icy roads last night/this morning in Galway which were not treated. Had to go and help a friend last night who rolled his car on his way to work, he will be lucky to escape with just a broken arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Showers were more hit and miss last night. Small bit of fresh snow this morning, was more on the way to work. 15 minute snow shower a while ago that could be it for this spell.

Edit- Some parts of Donegal/NW Derry had 5cm fall overnight from what I’ve heard.

Post edited by .Donegal. on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Nothing overnight. Cold and frosty. No sign of a thaw underway as of yet.

Status Yellow - Ice warning for Ireland

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Icy stretches, with freezing fog in places, leading to hazardous travelling conditions.
    • Valid: 16:00 Thursday 19/01/2023 to 12:00 Friday 20/01/2023

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Such a beautiful day in Kerry with snow on the mountains.

Pic: Fenit Harbour just now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭pauldry

Low risk but could be a few rogue flakes of snow tonight but tomorrow the milder air will be slowly seeping in . Bye Winter. ....for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭esposito

We all know winter will be back in spring 🥴

Well the latest UKMO long range is not great at all- unsettled till mid February. They don't even have the manners to say confidence in this outcome is low/ uncertain. So if they are right we'll be waiting till Mid February for positive effects, if any, from the displacement.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

With the warmings to possible SSW happening final days of January/1st few days of February I would say the earliest we could tap into any benefits would be around February 15th till end of the month. I feel a cold spell before then is unlikely however there may be a a severe cold outbreak just to the east of the UK going into many northern, central and eastern parts of Europe by the end of this month which is highly unlikely to have any affect on Ireland.

I was hoping for a quicker response with a high near us, but it would seem the high is going to sink based on the UKMO outlook. We just have to hope it is the flushing down of westerlies in the strat causing the zonal spell for a bit before a colder turn towards Mid February

I was reminded this evening on my way home why I prefer a cold spell in peak winter. A cold spell in late February just won't feel quite the same, but we have to take what we can get.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A cold spell second half of February i'll take, it may not be ideal seen as many eastern and southern locations are still waiting on the first flakes of winter, this will have to do if we get very lucky. First week of March is the final week I would happily accept snow if second half of February fails to deliver anything. By then we would need a direct hit long fetch easterly to north-easterly with temperatures going to -10 or lower and even with that daytime melting would still be a thing. After the 1st week of March easterlies begin to lose their depth of cold fairly quickly and we are more into night snow with rapid melting after sunrise such as March 2013 and I've no interest in that. By then my attention turns to warmer weather and sunnier dryer days with maybe the odd lunch out in the garden like what happened April 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Worth keeping in mind Storm Emma came in 28th Feb/1st March. It was exceptional and we may never see it likes again but it did close the country and a red snow warning for 24hrs +

So it ain't too late even by then but I would agree mid winter cold is much better!

Re the charts they are woeful for cold at the moment but at least Europe goes cold, even very cold!

Storm Emma, despite temperatures below 0 both day and night there was still the drip drip sounds around lunchtime. It snowed solidly for about 48 hours and snow became deeper by the hour, there was still a small margin of melt going on the entire time. Imagine the depth of cold if the exact same event happened in January or 1st week of February.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Tell me more about Europe. Going skiing end of next week. Austrian Alps.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

The Greeks love a UK High. They seem to get a dump every winter. Late February 2018 was exceptionally cold, but as was said even then there was melting. Can you imagine if that had happened a month earlier and the high did not scoot off past Greenland. I think some records might have been challenged

It would have been extreme mid winter, but for some reason never happens. There was no melt in Cork, mainly because it snowed constantly from Tuesday evening to Sat morning. Right along the coast, in my 50 years it is the one that stands out above all the rest.

Worth a search on YouTube just to see the news/ weather that day

Also worth a mention no named storms this season in December/Jan.

Considering the Atlantic was quite active its quite an unusual stat. I don’t think I remember this happening before since naming storms has started

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

No, the latest first named storm before this year for the UK & Ireland since naming began in 2015-16 is Storm Atiyah in 2019/20 on December 8th. It's January 19th now..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Beautiful day in Cork, amazing sunset on my way out of work this evening.

Yes and remainder of January is high pressure dominated so a certainty we will move into February without a named storm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The strangest part of all is it hasn't been the most settled autumn and winter period in the world. In fact autumn was among the wettest on record and the windiest nationally since 2011.

Some freezing fog about tonight. The snow is really compacted now. I would not like to get a snow ball in the face from it! I enjoyed my walk earlier with that lovely crunchy sound underfoot. Let's hope we will have at least one more cold period out of this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Wasn't there a storm last week that reached what would have been named storm threshold in previous years?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Misty here in Carrick, back garden still has snow but its all ice now, - 1c ❄️

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Lovely blue skies for the most part here near Castlebar today. Such a tonic for the spirits at this time of the year. We had some snow showers a couple of days ago but most showers that fell were very much on the marginal side this week with sleet, some graupel and the odd burst of hail thrown into the mix. Today was a much drier day and the visibility was great.

I took a ramble up into the Nephin Beg mountain range today and there was still some remnants of snowfall that was well frozen up on the higher slopes and in any sheltered spot.

Croagh Patrick and Clare Island in the distance earlier this afternoon.

Nice winter light up in the hills.

Looking down over Lough Beltra and across at Bireencorragh Mountain.

A very odd light shower about in the late afternoon that just fizzled away to nothing.

A lovely end to this January day as the sun set behind Croagh Patrick this evening.

Freezing again tonight and frost and ice has certainly lingered in sheltered and untreated areas over the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Those pics are stunning Goldfinch8, especially the last one and the one with the rainbow, just gorgeous!

Yeah they really are stunning photos. Thanks for sharing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Much snow on the Croagh Patrick cone? I saw it last weekend and there was a small bit from around 600m.

Great pics.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A very disruptive few days in the NW.

Looks like we are heading for 4 days of school closures by treacherous conditions which refused to leave. Wet roads and very low temps are night making getting around really difficult.

Will be glad to see the rise in temps come Saturday.

• Advertisement

Sherkin island currently as cold as Moscow right now both 2c.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement