Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westmeath school gets temporary injunction banning a suspended teacher from it's premises

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Jesus, you couldn't even press return after pasting the URL so that it would turn into a link that people could just click on. I'm not copying and pasting the URL into a new browser window just to see what's going on. Laziest link-dump ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Seems he's been a dick and been disruptive to the rest of the school and staff

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Poster only has 14 posts so not allowed to! Think 50 is the magic number for real links!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Yep

edit real link https://www.thejournal.ie/high-court-injunction-teacher-westmeath-pronouns-5853324-Aug2022/

The school claims that last June a service and dinner was held to mark the school’s 260th anniversary It was attended by clergy, staff, past and present pupils, parents, and board members.

It is claimed that Mr Burke interrupted the service and said that the school’s principal, Ms Niamh McShane, should withdraw the earlier demand regarding the transitioning of the student, that he could not agree with transgenderism, and said it went against the school’s ethos and the teaching of the Church of Ireland.

The school claims that after he spoke members of the congregation and students walked out of the school chapel.

It is claimed that at the follow-up dinner Mr Burke did not sit at any table.

After the meal he is alleged to have approached the Principal, and again asked her to withdraw the request regarding the student.

The school claims that she said she would speak to Mr Burke at a appropriate time and place, and walked away from him.

It is claimed that he continued to follow her and questioned her loudly.

Other people stood between them to prevent the continuation of his questioning; it is further claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Hmmm. Post that only contain a link probably aren't the best idea for them so. Maybe a bit of content from the article would have helped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The family have been associated with quite a few court cases in recent times.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Read the piece earlier. He’s one of ‘those’ Burkes from Mayo who demand that they be treated with respect and dignity while they undermine the respect and dignity of everyone else who calls out their hateful bile.

No doubt the anti-trans guff will start here again by the same usual suspects who are outraged that a teacher who refused to respect the wishes of a child and their parents and thus caused maximum disruption would be treated this way.

Or it will go the way of teacher bashing to distract from the issue at hand. Yawn.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

One child and their parents asked the school for a bit of respect and dignity and your response is that this country is in a f*caking state.

Asking to be treated with respect isn’t ‘madness,’ it’s basic manners ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

Apologies for link but as mentioned haven't enough posts yet. Agreed he seems like some tool, but never thought this pronoun stuff would catch on here outside Twitter etc. When the high court gets involved it brings it to a new level.

Why?

Do you think there are no transgendered or gender fluid people in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Those Burkes eh, can't stay out of the news

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Those Burkes are degenerate cnuts.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is always more to these stories and almost universally contain examples of repeated disruptive behaviour.

After the meal he is alleged to have approached the Principal, and again asked her to withdraw the request regarding the student.

The school claims that she said she would speak to Mr Burke at a appropriate time and place, and walked away from him.

It is claimed that he continued to follow her and questioned her loudly.

This would get you suspended if you were complaining about them serving broccoli at lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

That family clearly have waaaaaaaay too much time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

I knew this was one of the Burkes as soon as I saw the thread title. Absolute waste of space, that family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭lmao10

Seen them in court on several occasions. Wonder if their court cases have been much of a cost to the taxpayer?

No doubt they will get support from many of the usual posters on here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

And they are going to have a lot more too the way they are hassling all their employers

There is a saying that most G. O. T. fans would know that sums that family up.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Tinter Box

RTE would want to get in quick with the TV crew before Louis Theroux finds out about this crowd!

Oh dear, this lot again.

• Advertisement

The journal piece mentions he took his sister along to the meeting at the school. They have my sympathy is this is anything to go by

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Methinks the OP didn't do their due dil before posting this and isn't getting the responses they wanted/were expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Wezz

It’s Enoch Burke. Enough said. I’m curious who is funding these regular jaunts he and his family make to the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,236 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

If it were any other teacher I'd at least listen to their arguments, but when I saw the family name, yeah not listening.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Infamous for their hardline Old Testament-esque views around NUIG.

They'll cause rack wherever they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,298 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Those Burke's are Ireland's answer to the Wesboro Baptist Chuch.

First heard of them during the Marriage referendum when they had that Mandate for Marriage.(I think)

When I saw the thread tittle I thought it might be interesting but when I realised who they were I was sort of disappointed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Ah the Burke family. Roll eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've no idea who this Burke or those Burkes are to be honest, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day...

The school denied to Mr Burke in correspondence that anyone is being ‘forced’ to do anything.

The school said that it is focusing on the needs and welfare of its students and is affirming its policy in accordance with the 2000 Equal Status Act of not discriminating against any student.

It says it has acknowledged Mr Burke’s religious beliefs but expects him to communicate with the student in accordance with the students and their parent’s wishes.

So no-one is being "forced" to do anything but they're "expected" to? Hmmm.. OK

Essentially though it IS putting one set of beliefs above another.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

What a thread and nobody's drunk yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ah, the Burkes again is it.

They seem to be terribly unfortunate in terms of running into legal issues that give loads of media attention on them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement