Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with current affairs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,490 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I know the rules inside out...what I don't know is the arbitrary use of them. I.E. No one who supports SF can mention them in the government thread for fear of the mod, but others can continually reference 'certain other party's'?

Somebody is having a laff alright.

Oh don't worry about me, Beasty has been playing the siteban/forum ban threat for over a year now, he knows I really couldn't care less one way or another.

He's effectively a law onto himself. As we see this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,308 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

So it appears I'm banned from Current affairs? Makes sense.

• Advertisement

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,794 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You have had my comments. I am not wasting any more time on you

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,794 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 26,965 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I've just come across this Thread , a lot has been said most of it very unfortunate & I'll try to be objective. My observation is NOT a judgement or Questioning of Moderation or anyone in particular, just an honest observation of my experience with the CA forum over the past year.

I'm on Boards 12 years now (One Account), it's been mostly a positive experience. I've made a few mistakes , apologised, I've had warnings like most , some I've objected too ,many I've accepted graciously . I'll admit to having recieved one Thread Ban which honestly was perplexing but that particular thread had gone so off topic ,I didn't bother appealing.

I've always respected Moderators ,honestly have had very little interaction with them ,it can, it would seem be a thankless job at time's particularly as its voluntary.

It's not my place to discuss decisions but I have to be completely honest & I'm not making any Judgements just observations.

Politcal discussions are by far the most fractious Threads on Boards for obvious reason, I really only partake in one , I'm not very Politcal despite being accused of being Paul Murphy & signed up SF member. I'm actually terribly boring but probably more open about who I actually am than most posters on Boards, quite simply because I've nothing to hide. I've strongly held views like everyone, people can agree to disagree but sadly the Viterol levelled at me and others does go un punished at times ,despite reporting . I don't blame Moderators they can't be expected to act on every single report sent , perhaps this is a Boards systems failing or the sheer effort & time required. I am honestly a little concerned at vanishing Posts ,this has been explained to Mr in fairness, I'm also concerned at certain links from Twiiter being deleted, mostly satirical & no guidance on why these links being deleted.

But I will say this without fear of contradiction, there are a small number of posters in Particular, well known to all who, for whatever reason have been stirring discourse deliberately & intentionally on numerous Politcal & CA threads , I've done an extensive analysis of their posts, Timing , posting patterns & it's quite disturbing. Some might ask why I chose to do this , that's very simple really , various attempts to Slur , hound & frankly harrass me out of certain threads, including vile comments & clear Baiting led me to literally screen shot every single interaction & I'm glad I did. I've even been researched on Twitter we're again I've nothing to Hide. I don't do FB .

Some excellent posters with far more Politcal knowledge & understanding of Polls have also been harangued. I like any reasonable person want to debate , discuss & Tease out stories but even when I and others show objectivity , it's not enough and the insults & deflections start, making it near impossible to actually engage.

I'm personally worn out with it all to be honest and have drastically reduced my interactions on Boards as a result of what's going on. I respect others & Moderators but I do , honestly have to question the Behaviour of a small cohort of posters who are frankly stiffling debate , refuse to engage coherently & seem intent on disruption & Deflection across Boards & yet for some inexplicable REASON choose not to start their own Threads to discuss their own Beliefs or opinions.

Boards excelled during the Pandemic, there's fantastic support threads, Hobbies, Advice and a wide variety of special interest Threads. I'm not Niaeve to think Politcal discussion on SM is not contentious & it can be near impossible to moderate , I just honestly worry we're CA affairs discussion on Boards is a going & being objective I do share others concerns.

This Observation IMOHO 😏

DEMPO

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,059 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Beasty and Co. are among the most patient people I have ever come across. The lads complaining in this thread don't have a leg to stand on in my opinion given the history of the posters who are complaining.

In the older times when Devore ran boards these guys would be out the door long ago.

Just my 2c

• Advertisement

Francie my dear boy.

The mods are trying to herd cats when it comes to the CA forum. They don't want every.single.thread to become a free for all, hence why some topics in some threads are off-topic.

E.g. There is a SF megathread, yet for some reason loads of people got banned from that thread because they didn't want to talk about SF, they wanted to talk about FG or Leo or anything else BUT SF.... hence the bans.

That to me is good modding because there are and were other threads dedicated to these topics already.

Another example is Leo.

There have been multiple warnings about Leo and his alleged criminality. This is not even up to the admins. Its.the.LAW!!

Irish defamation laws are very strict so to say that he is a criminal and a lawbreaker means that boards.ie can be sued. Far fetched? Maybe you don't remember the MCD issue with boards back in the day.

THIS is why the discussion on Leo has been curtailed because the same people continue to call him a lawbreaker and criminal when told multiple times not to do so.

If grown adults can't follow simple instructions, then the problems are not with the mods, but with those who continue to floute simple instructions. Maybe look in the mirror now and again and reflect on your own actions here, if you ever get away from a keyboard that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Actually they have 2 legs to stand on because the modding in CA is a joke. Not allowed to talk about a government minister in a government thread as he has his own thread. When a new thread is created to talk about something, it is deleted because it is claimed that topic is already being discussed in the government thread.

You also have certain posters who won't answer questions when asked by either deflecting or totally avoiding answering the question. a popular deflection is but SF. We also had certain posts in threads deleted without warning because they contained links to Dr Harold News or the Ditch. Censorship at its finest. Why are certain posters allowed to bait and never asked to apologise when it is proven that some of their posts are blatantly 100%.

The people who deserve thread bans don't receive them. Why is this allowed to happen? Some of these people claim to not support FF or FG but you could not tell this by the way they post, defending the government for every mistake made.

Boards used to be a fun place to post in but recently it has gotten toxic. Is there anyway to fix this?

Mark, the deleted posts referenced 'Leo's leak' (which every mainstream and other news outlet refers to it as) and made no accusations of criminality.

And who the f**k wants to post on a thread like the Shinner one that has been hollowed out into a veritable echo chamber? Government thread headed the same way, where warnings are being handed out to certain posters for mentioning current issues.

Good to have it confirmed you haven't been warned or prohibited from mentioning certain things, I suspected as much. You never had any discernible restrictions placed on what you could say, from my own experience engaging with you. I have reported you many times for it, but you have repeated them, so proof positive of inconsistent modding that seems to favour some. I could take a good punt on the other posters who haven't been similarly restricted and echo Dempo's contribution on that.

I'll come back for a look at CA sometime and I guarantee there will be still those same posters getting away with circumventing mod instructions and those getting pinged for it.

You seem to be able to navigate it, best of luck continuing to do that, but again as Dempo points out, you and others don't seem to need luck.

I know the rules inside out

Then why do you knowingly continue to break them?

Honest question.

No one who supports SF can mention them in the government thread

Why would one want to do that?

There is an SF thread for SF chat.

You don't go into the Liverpool thread in the Soccer forum and chat all day about Man. United or Arsenal now would you?

The same concept applies.

he knows I really couldn't care less one way or another.

As someone with over 55k posts I and others suspect that you care very very much tbh.

Not allowed to talk about a government minister in a government thread as he has his own thread.

Why duplicate posts? If there is a dedicated thread to talk about a topic, why does on need to spam other threads about the same stuff?

We also had certain posts in threads deleted without warning because they contained links to Dr Harold News or the Ditch. Censorship at its finest. 

Im against blatantly spamming threads with Twitter news items with little context. It's supposed to be a discussion forum, not a live blog or what's happening that minute.

Also, its boards.ie you have no right to free speech.

Boards used to be a fun place to post in but recently it has gotten toxic. Is there anyway to fix this?

Maybe be more constructive in the type of posts people make.

I get what your at but are you aware it's obvious and that the poster Can't actually respond 🤔 but of course you are .

I think you know precisely what I mean , as for your Mirrors comment 😳 the Irony & Hypocrisy breathtaking 😏

1. Never had a problem admitting I overstep mark. I have never known a situation where I posted something knowing it was against the rules. I do my best buy things get heated. I have interacted with many mods in my long time on here and have never encountered one as unreasonable and arbitrary.

Are you suggesting nobody is mentioning SF on the government thread? ROFL. That bates Banagher TBH. What about Mr. 'A Certain Other Party' himself?

or yourself here:

The pension timebomb is an issue, hence why there are moves to change the retirement age and bring it up Look at the leader of the opposition here. Mary Lou McDonald's solution to the problem? 

or blanch

To be fair, there are more criminals on the opposition benches. At least FG kicked Lowry out. O'Snodaign, Ellis, Doherty etc. are all still criminal members of SF.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with either being mentioned/referenced, t's ludicrious when discussing Irish politics that comparison or reference to other parties cannot be made. Instead of blanket bans which are selectively ignored for some(see above), why not mod properly and assess if it is a deliberate attempt to divert? Would that not be realistic, consistent and fair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

As somebody who was once a mod of AH/CA, I'm probably part of the problem why there aren't enough moderators. Just couldn't hack it.

I was AH mod towards the end of Politics Cafe's life, during the interim period between PC and CA being created, and a short stint of CA. When PC ended, a lot of the vitriolic nonsense that had been contained in there ended up in AH, despite AH supposedly being a light-hearted forum. Ended up moderating threads where at the time, I had no idea what left/right in politics, and other nonsense meant. Got accused of being both when moderating threads that, well, had to be moderated. Being an AH mods for the Repeal The 8th threads was great craic altogether. Helpdesk/feedback thread after thread complaining about lack of/too much moderation, including being berated by other mods, was part of the deal. CA couldn't have been created soon enough.

As part of CA being created, most AH mods were automatically brought in to CA if we felt comfortable but by then, I was burnt out. Having newborns probably didn't help with the mental stamina required. Yes, AH became a bit more craic but it was still tough. I'd often take a month or two off modding, sit down and look at the reported posts to stop being such a lazy mod and help my fellow mods out, but then just think "fcuk this". The amount of petty, tit-for-tat arguments between the same regular line up of posters over and over was unbearable. Arguments being brought into AH and/or CA from Politics, A&A, hell even Soccer. Even American Football arguments made appearances. Sealioning everywhere. And the opening page of posts of this thread shows exactly the type of thing that made modding not worth it.

Say what you want about Beasty, but he's an absolute asset to this site. I don't know how he does it. What I do know though is that there are an awful lot of posters out there who need to get the fcuk over themselves. If they managed that, there wouldn't be nearly as much moderation required.

Mark,be fair, you post angry personal attacks almost Daily. You also make things up and then disappear when asked to show quotes or proof.

I started this thread in the hopes it would open up CA were we could deal with mods and if we had an issue we could go to an admin.

I've had a number of no point warnings which I found ridiculous but I can't go anywhere to query them and Beasty, (seeing as he's drawing from PM's) has his theories and ideas about the smallest thing. I posted "I believe FF/FG have an in with landlords". I got a warning "try be more constructive". Ridiculous stuff.

I posted "what Troy did was wrong but like Leo's leaking it wasn't criminal" I got a warning for mentioning the leak, accused of having a dig. I asked at who? I can't bring these up with anyone.

Someone posted a false claim about Leo's leak in the government thread. Beasty deleted all the responses, but not the claim that kicked it off.

All a bit much. Moderation by mods is the only real point to this thread.

@Buford T Justice

Posts are not being duplicated and you bloody well know that.

As for Dr Harold that is satire that is being posted not spam and the same goes for on the Ditch which is proper investigative journalism and not spam. Why is something you don't like called Spam?

As for having no right to free speech, why do you have that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Hounding posters about their interactions with mods should be sanctionable. You have been at this a number of times in the thread alone.

The interaction between a poster and a mod is personal to them. That you are using the absolutely correct refusal of posters to respond to you listing the things that they are not allowed post about as confirmation of your conspiracy theory is something you should reflect further on.

I have been open that I have received warnings and sanctions, yet I am not going to discuss the details with anyone other than mods, and especially not you as you are clearly on a misguided crusade in this regard.

I have full respect for the difficult jobs that mods do. Even though I have strongly disagreed with them at times, I don't go to any great lengths to dispute their actions as they have a difficult enough time already e.g. I don't recall ever taking anything to Dispute Resolution. That probably works to my disadvantage as I could be an easy target for them. However, at the end of the day, it is only a discussion forum, they are only volunteers, and why would I waste their time any further.

What about when an admin references PM's in a thread to further his conspiracy theories?

I have issue with frivolous warnings and not being able to go to an admin.

You keep trying to make this a fight against moderation, its not.

If I have been sanctioned or warned for a post, it is removed or deleted. Those posts are still on the site if you use the search function and they are more.

They are evidence of inconsistency, not hounding.

I have no idea, as the poster in question has responded.

We will soon be left with just government cheerleaders on the CA thread. It will be then nothing to see here. The mandarins in Mount Street Upper and Mount Street Lower will be rubbing their hands with glee.

O Dear Blanch , I find myself calling out Hypocrisy yet again , seriously you've the gall to call out anyone about hounding other posters , Breathtaking in the extreme 😳 Take a look in that Mirror discussed earlier

• Advertisement

• Just so long as one doesn’t as much as hint at any negative opinion of a dear leader, sure we’ll all carry on and ding a happy song.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement