Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with current affairs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,676 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Not what I was warned for. Click on the thread - there is plenty PLENTY of 'attack the poster' going on there. If you want examples, I will post some.

I was warned for admitting to trolling. 😁

My post was deleted, but the one blanch wrote trying to divert a NATO thread about the Shinners remains. So the mod obviously deemed he wasn't trying to troll and divert introducing a party NOBODY was talking about but I deserved a warning, We were in fact discussing Churchill and Dev.

Don't get me wrong, I don't give a hoot if blanch scratches his itch, every chance he gets, it is more often funny than anything serious. My point about it is that by Modding this way, a poster who is the subject of a report pile-on can quickly rack up warnings like that/

Completely arbitrary inconsistent modding and that particular thread is a classic of it's type. Go read it, look at some of the personal attacks on me on it. (I am a big boy I can handle mark/blanch types all day long and didn't report the half of it)

I make the point that if a Mod was looking at things in context, why is he only issuing warnings and deleting my posts?

Want another bizarre warning?

Laughing about how triggered somebody is about something is 'attacking a poster'. Really? I'm glad you aren't a mod, you'd have a month's work on this thread alone.

You'd be a 'timesink' if you were getting pinged for stuff like that. That's the point I am making.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,324 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

well this thread is a car wreck granted. But yeah, you said that in the hopes of getting a reaction so i can see where the trolling came from. I presume that the PM conversation you had with beasty is where the "admitted to trolling" comes from. It added nothing to the thread. You were rightly warned for it.

I don't know francie, you seem to get pinged for the same thing on a regular basis. Once or twice I can probably understand but when you do the same thing repeatedly you should expect to get warnings for it. how many warnings do you think you should be allowed? is 87 not enough?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,067 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've gone through this thread and there's maybe a dozen posts that are constructive which people clearly spent time articulating. Then there's the guff like this you and others put about. We're on page 29 now and this is a perfect example of why threads like this can't work. Yourself and others are incapable of mature discussion and instead insist on bickering with each other every single chance you get.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

The only other recourse open is Dispute Resolution. And that is going nowhere from the get go as another Mod/Admin said, in his time an admin has never overruled another.

I didn't make the mess modding has become in fairness.

Wrong. I get pinged for all sorts. Want another one?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,067 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's not what was said. When admin adjudicates on a DRP as an admin, another won't overturn that. That's fair. If an admin is modding a forum, they're a mod on that forum, not an admin. If they issue a card, that can be challenged in DRP where it can be overturned by a CMod or an Admin.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

And what about introducing the Shinners to a thread about NATO?

Designed to get a reaction...trolling?

What was it's relevance to a conversation about Dev and Churchill?

The triggered reference was in response to blanch getting on his high horse everytime Dev gets mentioned for doing something good. Dev was, like any other Taoiseach not all bad IMO. It was not in reference to his habitual scratching of his itch.

• Advertisement

not really. i've listened to enough ridiculous justifications already today.

Well the thread were the Mod said that, was closed by the Mod/Admin(Beasty) when he was simply asked to produce a post where I said that Leo had recieved a benefit from leaking (I didn't) and that was why I was threadbanned.

See what I would be up against? No real recourse and no onus on a mod/admin to prove anything he says. Just abruptly close the thread and sin é.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,891 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Francie - we had a PM exchange on 22 August. Would you agree to me posting a PM from you in that exchange (I don't mind posting the full exchange if you prefer, but it's one particular one I would like to highlight)

I certainly wouldn't use any,that can reasonably construed as abuse,

i felt Francie reasonably put qs,as to why he engaged with these 2 posters repeatedly via PM,if he views it as a timesink,perhaps onus should be placed upon him to pass onto other members of moderation team?

Neither would I think it's acceptable for a admin to throw out accusations to inevitably cause a pile-on,which then isn't moderated,despite the sh1tshow of bickering and goading yesterday it remains only people banned/actioned for posting in this thread is the thread starter & Francie,whole thing deosnt seem fair to me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You are trying to get a reaction with that post too.

I could go on about the damage Dev did to this country, or the relevance of examining different party's approaches to NATO, but that would be rising to the bait and going off-topic on this thread.

However, to stay on topic, if that is the best example you can give of where you were unfairly warned, it might be best not to push it any further.

No, tell me what word you would use. It is easy to criticise. Beasty used a word that perfectly fitted the circumstances. Now, if I or another user had called francie a timesink then that would have rightly been personal abuse as it is not my place to call out other users behaviour. That is the mods job. Beasty was doing his job. You have completely ignored the context in which the word was used.

I would most certainly mind yes Beasty. As our 'relationship' had gotten pretty toxic by then, I don't think you are posting it in good faith. Even asking me that publicly and not by PM is unfair. As I am sure there will be a pile-on.

Maybe if you first address your allegations and present the evidence you based them on and then the nature of the arbitrary warnings I highlighted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You are fully correct on this, and I don't absolve myself from your criticism.

What has struck me most in this thread is that a former mod outlined the issues they had in moderating CA, and it was just ignored and passed over by most on the thread.

• Advertisement

Well, when I started CModding, I was explicitly told that Admins modding CA or any other forum are just mods on those forums.

I'm not going to go trawling through CA to find this example. Just giving my perspective.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 10,628 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I appreciate that.

The post from Mr Cool Ice was one of the ones I alluded to. There's posts I disagree with but they're at least on topic and one or two run to several paragraphs.

H. H. Asquith

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,891 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That's fine. All I will say is there is information I have that I cannot share here that would inform everyone else over this whole episode, including providing certain "evidence" you are requesting

It's very telling that a mod/admin will not address questions he is asked and now wants to post somethiong that in truth doesn't reflect well on either of us.

I would not use a singular word,nor would I post it publically,a phrase and wording to articulate same can be found (of which I have in mind),which can't then be reasonably construed as abuse

You cannot honestly think it's acceptable for mods,and admins to have a lower standard of posting than what is allowed for ordinary posters??

The fact yous line up to accept/condone abuse by anyone,while simultaneously critise others for same,is the most bizarre mindset.......

what other message board,allows mods & admins to air dirty laundry regarding behind scenes moderation publically,and give ammunition for pile-ons??

All the while playing word games,as to level of access to users PMs,and whether or not the setting is enabled allowing others access time (though tbf it's not beasty job to account for the office and vanilla settings)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I can't believe this thread is still going. Scarlet for yis, seriously.

There have been no word games in regards to access to PMs.

and again, because you just don't seem to listen, using timesink in the context it was used was not personal abuse. It may be in other contexts but not in the one in which it was used. You seem to keep ignoring that so I wont be responding to you further because you're a ti.... oh wait I can't use that word.

but they said it would provide the evidence you are asking for so why so reluctant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This thread is a **** embarrassment for a message board.

Totally unmoderated, a constant and nasty pile on by certain posters yet the mods and admins are more interested in making accusations and telling people to leave if they don't like it.

This isn't feedback, its a joke.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement