Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society (Final) Mount Juliet Estate (24th Sep 1120 -1240 hrs)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Good luck picking a winning post after this outing Big Easy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Thanks Spuddy - I don't like when mad ideas are put in my head like that. They seem to go to a deeper level and do not get out till they are done.

Thanks for that. 😊

All - to let all know we have booked an area for food and presentation after the golf. It is a 5 star resort so prices not cheap - but apparently you can buy individual items too. Go to end for cheaper menu option.

Please find the sample menus. If you 100 % don't intend to eat here or need to head off quickly - PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Caddy cart

They know how to charge all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

• Advertisement

They are class - and was thinking about them this evening. Looked up you tube - but they are a different level to what I could find.

Anyway - like you were reading my mind.

3rd and 4th look terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

4th to me is such a claustrophic tee shot, feels so narrow. Cracking golf hole. 2-4 are all class holes to be fair

Last while I have driver or nothing, used to have , 3W , 5 iron and Hybrid.

Golf is interesting, driver on every hole and make it work , exciting but ultimately ends in failure.

Still interesting game at present..

MJ should be exciting.

All , will post a schedule for Friday and Saturday during the week. (Monday)

Lots going on..Almost turning into the Queen's funeral..

Lots of jobs for people (lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,885 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

3rd and 4th are probably my 2 most favourite holes anywhere I’ve played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm not saying that we shouldn't go shouldn't go ahead with the day, but I'm not sure there's much point. I played twice this week and got so much bad golf out of my system I'm a sure thing to win. I carry my bag and don't think I'll bother bringing a second ball to save myself carrying a spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Mount Juliet fairly strict on bringing out a sand/dirt bag for divots - just FYI if you’re carrying you’re bag

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭bobster453

Sure give the rest of us a chance and only carry one club.Leave the bag in the car😀

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Manhatton

Which Tee box will we be playing from?

There was again considerable discussion around this, but ground is softening up , a good bit of rain Thursday.

For pace of play and general wider enjoyment, we are playing green course.

Fix....

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Wise beyond your years.

Whites would destroy most of the field.

Yes , but listening to lads who want to play whites destroys me....

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

Blue would be even worse Bakerbhoy, 😁

I was really looking forward to testing myself on the Irish open tee's just to see how far I have to go to challenge the pro's, guess I'll just have to use the 25/26 shots I get off the greens as an indicator....

A very very very long way... So a very wise choice by the powers that be...

Cannot wait for it now I have to say.. fresh delivery of provisional seed balls being delivered today, if anyone in the last group finds a red seed in the woods, it's probably mine and you are welcome to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Bit of old footage from the times Fix was mentioning, to keep the mood going

So who else spotted the absolutely shocking mistake with that video?🤦‍♂️

bonus points if you can fill in the blanks

PS. Break80 not allowed to enter

• Advertisement

jaysus - great spot Seve.

Ok all - I said I'd update all with a timeline. I can be a bit spontaneous too. But in general.

Time

1000 t0 1030 hrs Meet from 1000 hrs in Mount Juliet Pick card up Live Scoring allocation - do you own sequence of warm up.

1030 to 1130 hrs At range Long Drive From The Past - 2 shots each (By Charlie and Space) Smash Factor and Distance comp

1120 to 1700 hrs Golf With Live Scoring from ClubNet

1700 to 1830 hrs Food in Clubhouse - confirmed can order individual items as required (not full menus as shown)

1830 hrs Presentation of prizes and Golfer of the Year

1900 hrs Presentation of Ryder Jug Team and Captain for 2023

2030 hrs For people staying, meet up in Kilkenny

Prizes on the Night

1st - Captains Prize (Aka "The Final Prize")

2nd , 3rd, 4th , 5th

Front 9 - Sponsored by ClubNet

Back 9 - Sponsored by ClubNet

Boards Golf Society Nearest the Pin

LinoRichie Nearest the Pin

Boards Golf Society Long Drive

The Snackbox20 Most Golf

Long Drive From the Past

2s (if entered)

Gross

Fix's choice for Post of the year

And Finally

Gofer of The Year Prize

Trophies

Past Captains

Golfer of The Year The SeveOB Trophy

Captains Prize Winner

Note if you are in Kilkenny night before please PM me and you can meet us in the Hole in the Wall.

Note after this outing there will also be a Stinger Golf post of the outing as normal.

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

Thanks to our sponsor - this is how I feel when I heard two nearest the pins. Or any other sponsor that has come in - thanks all.

Jaysus the prize ceremony length 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Fota Island making an appearance in the video ??

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Snackbox20

Trying to think that one of the widepan shots or flyover of one of the fairways is the deer park course instead at Fota 🤔🤔🤔

As you know, I know the place very very well. Mount Juliet is a very special place to me.

Unlike you Fix, I was lucky with my golf upbringing, my father was a member of Greystones since around 1980. I couldn’t tell you how old I was when he first brought me out, but it became a regular weekly trip from Shankill to go out on a Saturday and caddy for him. Payment was in the form of a Blackcurrant cordial and a Kit Kat. Juniors weren’t allowed in the club, so I had to sit on the steps outside and consume the days reward. I do recall one day though being in awe that Fr Deveraux from Glenroe was in the bar and being allowed in to meet him 🤩 If it was raining, I could sit in the locker room. God I remember that place, smelly, small, tight for space and always busy. Anyway, I wouldn’t spend to long before I headed down to the putting green for a few hours while my da helped them out in the bar 🍻

Now I say juniors, but I wasn’t allowed join the club till I was 12. My old man would however bring me down some evenings when he went for a practice and I could hit a few balls. He got me a cut down 9 iron (which I remember so well, the fecking grip was wore off at some stage and was basically down to paper 🥹) a putter from about 1950 and a few other terrible cut down clubs to get me started. So in 1989 I joined the club and have been lucky to remain a member ever since. Of course I didn’t always play that much as a kid because Greystones was a 2 hour commute each way on a train and a bus. So it was Saturday only, caddy for old man in the morning and play my game in the afternoon.

I remember going to my first Irish Opens around that time. Portmarnock and Royal Dublin, Seve and Langer. I was lucky enough to live a short enough walk over the back fields to Woodbrook where the Irish PGA was hosted a few times. The Pros hosted clinics for the young lads and I remember they wouldn’t give me much time. Genuinely I had a great swing and I hit the ball well, they couldn’t say much more than keep doing that and go off to give the worse players their time 🤣 I got a gig as scoreboard man. I recall the first couple of days I was following Owen Mullhall of Royal Dublin (I think). His caddy wasn’t a bit impressed that a young lad got the job, but I kept up, I paid attention and I made sure I got the scores correct. I was his best friend by the time we finished up 😁. Philip Walton won around that time, and my school pal was a big fan of his, Philip was an absolute gent to us. But Christy was my hero, I loved him. I recall begging my old man to bring me over to Deerpark to a clinic he did, probably in the 80’s. I think we traded stories about that day over a pint or 2 Fix. The only thing I recall from that day was some lad asking Christy how to get back spin. Christys answer was a question, “what’s your handicap ?”. 14 says the guy. “It’s not backspin you need, you just want to get the ball to go forward”.

So moving on to about 1996/97. My best buds brother was 10 years older than us and he lived in Kilkenny. We used to basically spend every other weekend in the marble city and why wouldn’t you when you are 19 and able to get away for free weekends! This went on for years. Then I met a girl in Dublin, she was a Dub, we went out for a while and it wasn’t long before I found out her old man was from a place called Glenmore…….. in Kilkenny, sure with all the time I used to spend down there, wasn’t it destined that I’d end up marrying someone with Kilkenny routes 👰‍♀️🤵‍♂️.

I never made it to any of the Irish Opens in Mount Juliet though. I wrote this and then had to backtrack because I can’t truly remember the first time I visited the place 🤯 I was at the second of the WGC’s. I spent the weekend in my friends house and went to the golf every day and my now wife came down with her dad on the Sunday. I remember we had a great chat with Ernie Els (winner) wife on the 17th hole. That proved more than a bit random a couple of years later…. Ask me Saturday….

Anyway we had a work thing in Kilkenny around the same time when I first played the course and I genuinely can’t remember if this was before or after the WGC. Some other work weekends in the mid naughties took us close by, and we managed to get a few more games in. I quickly fell in love with the course and it was a firm favourite. At the WGC we were so impressed with the place that we booked in for a weekend soon after. Then my friend moved out of Kilkenny city to live in the local village and this meant more time spent around Mount Juliet. We used to rent a meeting room in the Conrad in Dublin and ended up joining their privilege club. Guess what, Mount Juliet was part of the Conrad group and we got vouchers to stay there. We were regulars. The Rose Garden Lodges, The Manor House, Hunters yard……. And the golf. Interestingly it was 5 star quality, service, food and luxury, but it was actually only a 4 star resort though. The Manor House being a listed building was not allowed a lift, and if you want 5 stars, you have to have a lift!

The time came to make an honest woman of her and when we had to discuss venues, well we just looked at each other and together said Mount Juliet. Probably the easiest Wedding decision any couple has ever made. Of course her father was over the moon when we told him that we would like to get married in his local parish of Glenmore and host the reception in Mount Juliet. We were all set for a beautiful June wedding with pictures around the estate to treasure forever. But then Ireland happened and I’ll never forget the rain that fell that day, it was truly horrendous. Still, we got lovely pictures in the Manor House (still looks the same), but none on the golf course 😟. The following morning the rain cleared and I played golf with my Dad, my Godfather and my Father in Law. A very special round of golf, on a very special course.

For years we keep returning and have seen the place change with the new hotel in Hunters yard, but it still retains a lot of what it was, the changes have been subtle and in keeping with its tradition. When our kids came along our first born was christened Lucy Juliet as a nod to our love for the place and as a family we used to spend a weekend there every Christmas to visit Santa and Mrs Clause. We try and get back every year, sometimes it’s just a passing visit, but last year we spent a few days there the week after the Irish Open was played and I’m looking forward to the return, and my first game of golf there in a few years.

so yea, I know the place and I knew that Video was not all that it seemed 🤣😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭benny79

Jesus, Seve I cant believe you didnt go to the Irish Open there this year. Course was in some nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭blue note

I assume I'm the last to notice this, but the course flyovers and GPS maps on the app are great!

Also, what's long drive from the past?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭benny79

I'd say its all the lads who won Long Drive this year.

Advertisement