Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society (Final) Mount Juliet Estate (24th Sep 1120 -1240 hrs)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Normal scorecard if ye want (above is also correct)

EDIT: Posting photos on the new boards is annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭benny79

why didnt you leave your score in? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 15,859 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Cause ye’d be able to identify me from the Mount Juliet scratch cup prize winners!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,813 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

All as requested there is a waiting list now open.

Boards Golf Society Final

A final introduction. (The start of the long goodbye)

In 1988 I went to my first Irish Open in Portmarnock Golf Club and I was hooked. After this childhood discovery of our wonderful game. I found my golf experience frustrating and slow, I had no real way to play real 18 hole golf. The exception was to take a club from my dad’s rarely used, old leather pencil golf bag – or there was always a guy with a persimmon 3 wood in the local field. These original 3 or 5 or 7 woods, were full of mystery and legacy, they were handed down from fathers and grandfathers and almost impossible to hit. There was always one local legend kid, who could hit them right, with speed and the compression required – the distance the ball could go, would make your jaw drop and your young eyes could see how far it went – but perhaps true distance is a function of age and memory. Also, these balls were the small ones, with the rubber bands inside – you would find that out, with a pen knife in hand. A very dangerous childhood hobby – cutting open golf balls. Many a cut to the hand resulted to see what was inside.  

The first 3 or 4 years of my golf were played in fields, on soccer pitches, back gardens. There was an eventual progression to Pitch and Putt and Par 3 in public parks – and then on to the dream golf playground of childhood and working class northside youth, Deer Park. That was a dream place for the young golfer with dreams. I can still remember the views – as my father (R.I.P.) would say “ This is heaven on earth Son”.  His whole earth was on this Island only. “There is no country like Ireland”.  

I was completely self-taught (with slight direction from my father – who himself was also self-taught), I was never a member of a golf club – and it was trial and error – the objective of golf for me, was to hit the ball as far as possible and this was basically my game for 25 years. Some might laugh who know me now and say – “still is Fix!!…

Like many things in my life – I loved the challenge of getting better- but mistakenly, I tried to do this alone – later in life, I reluctantly learnt that, whilst there is a great satisfaction in self-achievement. It can be wrong, it can be slow, and it is ultimately lonely and unnecessarily stubborn.    

The Irish Open moved to Killarney in 1991 for two years – and I was disappointed – at a time when golf was engrossing my mind – The Irish Open was off in a place I could not get to – my “Ma” or “Da” never drove a car and Kerry was like another country.

My Father and Mother seen that I had a natural talent for hitting a golf ball – the loving ambitious parents they were, they brought me to one of the more upmarket golf clubs on the Northside – the incumbent captain took one look at my clothing “jeans” – and said, we could not let him in here. The joys of golf in the 90s in Dublin. It was a sort of a death moment for my early golf, any hope of ever playing golf right was evaporated by a golf snob (or in fairness, club rules), it solidified a need to do things alone – it probably caused a bit of a chip on the shoulder about golf – well golf clubs.

By the time the Irish open came back to Mount Juliet in 1993 – I was older, still loved golf – but disappointed with the lack of opportunity – I was still playing in the likes of Deer Park and another infamous place on the Northside near Ballymun (Silloge Park). They were great places, cheap – but they were never golf clubs in the real senses.  There were hours of queues and uncertainty of a game. “A 2 hour wait for St Fintains” – was the famous Tannoy call in Deer park. It gave me putting time on a putting green with one of the best views in Dublin and it gave drinking time for my Dad – “Heaven in Dublin”. 

In 1993 – Myself and my father set out on a fairly epic journey to see the first Irish Open in Mount Juliet – if you can get your head around this – it was a train to Thomastown and a walk from there to Mount Juliet, yes, a walk. When we eventually got to Mount Juliet – the grounds were extraordinary – you entered a world of wealth, horses, a stunning estate, the river Nore – both my father and I were in shock. What a place…him a man who liked a punt – could see thoroughbreds in their natural environment.

When you got inside and seen the place even more – it was other worldly – the scale of the place – the condition of the fairways , the size of the trees and the estate – the wealth and glamour , an Ireland that seemed to be waking up to another life and exiting the dark ages of the 80s. I was genuinely blown away – my mind was opening up to , why can’t I play on a course like this, why can’t I have a life like this , why can’t I dream like this , I guess I can try……

I felt physically and metaphorically outside the ropes – I wanted to be inside the ropes.

We had an amazing time at that Irish Open – the glamour and stature of Faldo (physically, mentally and he was a true world star) – the crankiness of Montgomerie – I could be merging years here , but I do recall Monty getting a hole in 1, winning a car and was still miserable with everyone – after our epic walk, not even owning a car , the disgust in my father – a man born between the canals (LOL).

The years went by – and I still chased various sports and team sports, but in the back of my mind golf had a deeper place – it was past a sport – was like an escape. But it really wasn’t a sport I had any access to at the level I wanted.

Eventually – I got into the work society scene, friends golf and a distance membership. I still loved the game – but I’m not sure golf has much of a place in life, for most of your 20s anyway. Your working on your “career” – your working out how you want to spend the rest of your life and most importantly – with who.  Your trying different sports and hobbies and discovering things you never knew about – be it new sports – arts – travel – life and love.

Fast forward 10 years – and I had a great Job – a great family. But I seemed to be missing something – there seemed to be something I couldn’t put my finger on. I for some reason at a subliminal level, returned to the golf clubs. It was only when I started to actually try get better that I realised, I wasn’t ever good at all. I could hit a ball naturally well – but there is a massive difference in that and actually scoring in a round of golf – a massive difference.

I was looking around the internet – trying to find ways to improve in golf. There was YouTube and at that time – forums were massive. I hit Boards and there started a golfing journey to dream of. I suddenly wasn’t waiting for my friends to play golf. There were similar people out there – that wanted to play and wanted to try understand this game at a way deeper level. The access I was unable to achieve as a teen – was suddenly out there – without judgement – or class. There was a different set of rules – almost no rules (a problem at times too). That chaos of the forum was simultaneously brilliant and disastrous. But within the noise and chaos, there was amazing information and opportunity – and people there to help you and be an anonymous advocate, coach and mind coach.   

I got involved in the Boards golf society and met a few guys who wanted to play year-round and play the top links courses. The opportunities I never had, seemed to open up (thanks to users) – I was for once moving inside the ropes (metaphorically), not looking in from the outside.

I played amazing courses and played some good golf along the way – a few rounds in the low 70s – a few hole in ones and a few days that will not leave you. But most importantly, I seemed to find that thing I was looking for – something that was unfinished , unresolved, a regret.

So, as we hit the final event of the year – I’m delighted to return to part of that 30 year + golfing journey. I used to be terrified, excited, but insecure entering the top courses, but I’m now in a different space and point of my golfing life. I can only thank Boards and the Boards golf society for playing a massive part of that internal resolution and discovery.

I can say for certain now, that golf is my “Heaven on earth”.  

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Snackbox20

Awwww Fix, a perfect story, getting a bit emotional.

It's going to be an epic day out and weekend. Best of luck on your captains day. 🏌️🏌️

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Wow, what an epic post Fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,859 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Great story Fix

but before anyone gets to worried…… it not the Final for boards…… that’s just Fix being Fix 😎

It’s Captains Day and don’t let him forget it 😁

Not at all, got a good read, really key moments. You have a great knack with words and story telling Captain. It's a talent 👍👍

I love the part about getting the train to Thomastown and then having to walk to Mount Juliet. I wonder if that train is still running or line is still open? My first memory of Mount Juliet was the American Express championship, my two golf partners who got me into golf at the well known Slievenamon Golf Club. I asked them to keep an eye out for Jim Furyk as I was wearing a srixon hat and wanted it signed, little did I know I walked straight past him while gunning to get an autograph off Padraig Harrington, but the funniest was when on the 17th rough and Ernie Els was in a bunker, Mr. B who is no longer with us, said "now try playing out of Chadwick's yard, where's your crushed shell bunker" 🤣🤣🤣, I laughed when I tried to play out of it on my 2nd time playing there.

Great memories in your story.

You left out a very important part! Wheeling the trolley with the clubs onto the Dart 😉👏

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Break80

Lovely post Fix.

Never had the chance to walk a fairway with my dad.

My kids never had an interest in the game but after reading your post they are going to walk the fairways at least once with their old man.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Break80

Lovely post Fix.

Never had the chance to walk a fairway with my dad.

My kids never had an interest in the game but after reading your post they are going to walk the fairways at least once with their old man.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭eireyiddo

Great post fix. Entralling from start to finish. Final outings sure to be a cracker. Dying for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Love the post Fix. looking forward to making Captain's Day one to remember

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Thanks for the post (captain) Fix I lower cased the captain for ya 😉

The thing about well written prose is that, whilst being entirely personal, it triggers introspection in those that read it, and it looks like your post has had the desired effect.

Coming from a similar background to yourself, working class 80s Dublin, but didn't quite get your early exposure. Pitch & putt was my limit. I do remember my dad getting a ticket through work for the Irish Open in the early 90s, and can still remember him talking about watching Jon Daly and how it wasn't just his power but his flair around the greens that stuck with him.

We probably arrived to Boards Golf at a similar time, and I do remember vividly following along with your Breaking 80 thread (which I can still recommend to newer members to dig out from the annals and have a read of). You were a little ahead of me in the curve (and still are), but you set me an early target to chase as I began to take golf a lot more seriously.

My first boards Captains day was in MJ, so will be great to return again. Played the round of my life that day but I lost on a countback to @The Big Easy . It still hurts 😐 Runners up trophy from Charlie is still up on the shelf though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

What a post 😅

Big parallels with my own life. Though didn't get to an Irish open, or even see a pro hit a ball with my own eyes until my late 30's. I'm going to enjoy Mount Juliet no matter how I play. My early golf was limited to hammering balls around a field. The harder the better. I had to try learn finesse later on. Still working on that part 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭blue note

Fix clearly wants to win post of the event in his captains outing anyway!

Petty you have to post after the round 😂 Although in through Fix style he is building the atmosphere up to his CAPTAIN's day as only Fix can do.

Like Klopp talking to the lads before the Champions League FINAL 😊

Appreciate comments.

Thanks for using word FINAL Ken , legend...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

"a man born between the canals"

what a way of putting it (no pun intended), organise the sunshine and balmy calm Fix

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Richiemaloney

What a post 😍

You took up the wrong profession should of been a writer 👀

Looking forward to MJ

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭bobster453

Just finished reading your post now Fix..a day later😀

Brilliant evocative post.

Myself and the old man were there in MJ also..was it really that long ago?

I think it was the Carrolls Irish Open then but could be wrong.

I was fortunate to be given 2 free passes including all the behind the scenes stuff.We had a blast.

The Da was a very scratch p+p player..the house was decorated with what he won but they were the days when ordinary Joe Soaps were frowned upon in golf clubs in this country.

Only the likes of Slievenamon opened it to the masses and arent we the better for it.

Anyhow he played out of St Barbaras in the artillery barracks in kildare..he wasnt a soldier..and I still remember at 7 years of age beating my older brother to win a shilling from the Da

Hooked for life.

Played p+p then in the Irish Ropes..Ryston..in newbridge..then athgarvan

Then life got in the way and didnt play for some years until based in wexford and then it was the par 3 course at Rathaspeak.

Once the bug bites it bites for life.

Fast forward and I was a founder member of slievenamon..treasurer and trustee for 13 years..and captain in 2013.

Joined Callan in 2016 for 2 years.

First joined the society in 2016 and had some crack.

Injury stopped play for a few years and now play in Cahir and loving every second on the course.

Field of dreams comes to mind

Going to be a great day for what surely must be the best golf society in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭a post punk

What a post Captain , what an insight into access to golf before I took it up at 27 and took a serious interest in golf. To be honest I didn’t even realise access was so hard back then. Growing up ourselves my Dad always said he would take up golf when he retires being the sports nut he is …. Alas it never materialised ! But his passion for all sport passed down to us and the memories of watching the masters etc with him as we were growing up are excellent to have. SSbob can attest to that.

Bring on Mount Juliet ‘22

PP

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Manhatton

Well done Fix,

A great read.

I love golf (especially links) and took the plunge and joined Boards GS this year not knowing any of its members, but I was looking for a way to play more golf on decent courses and particularly courses i had not played very often or ever before. I was nervous at the start of the year and eventually settled in and even got a name change 😉 but I have really enjoyed the craic with sound out lads.

I believe I have joined a group of similarly minded individuals, well at least in golfing terms, and none more so than our captain.

Looking forward to MJ and best of luck everyone and especially Fix on Captains Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭spuddy4711

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Lots of water beside the green on 18 at Mt Juliet

Advertisement