Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the cost of living crisis exactly?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I assume the vote will be for industrial action up to and including strike. That's how it's phased. I'm not sure about the secondary unions but the INTO lost a lot of respect during covid. The call for teachers to be vaccinated ahead of others was unbelievable. Myself and other teacher friends were embarrassed with it all. The union does very little to actually help members. I would have no faith in them at all. They only make us look bad. But I guess the job of the union is to campaign on behalf of its members. I'm not sure what numbers the unions are looking for as I haven't been following this, but I am clued in enough to know that the money to pay the public service workers will have to come from somewhere so someone else will have to suffer. Rather than the debate becoming public vs private, the country as a whole needs some serious overhauls. People should be standing together to get these issues sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,293 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Since when was rejecting a substantial pay cut "greed" ?

WFH will do nothing to lessen the impact of strikes from the rest of the public sector - it certainly won't just be teachers they're just the favourite whipping boy of the media and shytetalkers on boards.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

So you're saying pay should follow inflation. Then in that case, the brutal cuts after 2008 in pay was entirely justified. Just as I and others have consistently maintained.

Thanks for finally agreeing with my stance!

Nope, there was no deflation after 2008 except in house prices.

Try again.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I find it funny that rents were going up like 10% or more a year and there was no crisis measures taken.

Someone's pasta going up 20% is nothing compared to 2k a year every year extra.

In my local shop I can't find a bottle of Red wine that not like 11.5% under €9. Before you could say 2 months ago.

Simple stuff has being going up like 20c here 50c there. My fave big bag of crisps went from €1.75 to €2.25. No reason for those kind of hikes. It's a chain store too not a one off shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,066 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The wine price is the fault of neoprohibitionist minimum pricing.

Oh I know. But was still able to get stuff 13% for €8 or Maybe they were pricing it wrong ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Still nothing in comparison to the rents going up in the last decade.

Friend of mine was living in a studio in North circular road around 2015. They were paying 400 a month.

Few months later the landlord upped it to 950 a month. That's an increase of 6k per year. They had to leave it then.

Before the rpzs rents were going up 10% a year or thereabouts.

After rpzs rents were going up, 4% every year! If your rent was 2k a month, that's an increase of 960 per year. And even more the next year and the next and the next.

Renters have face far higher costs than everyone else. Annoys me to see parents complain about back to school costs and wanting schools to ban uniforms. Lol.

Annoys you, why exactly?

These parents may be homeowners, but these days it's more likely that they're renters...

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭JizzBeans

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

All working class people could realistically work towards was the possibility of owning their own home.

FG, the party that look after those who like to get up early, have destroyed that, cheered on by FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Raven1221

Less for more sound just a nornal tik. Are the eye of the whole place now open on the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Cost of living crisis?

Today in Dublin, I saw a young girl driving a new Mercedes G class.

Particular model I checked and they cost 290K.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Hardly relevant or indicative of anything though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,254 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

40 years ago ago I always taught that left wing parties were the answer. I accepted left wing ideology unquestionably, somebody else's should always pay. Life should not be a struggle.

However life is always a struggle.... depending on how much you want it to be. You can always buy a house it just may not be where you think you are entitled to

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

You never knew the 'left wing ideology' if you think it's 'somebody else's should always pay'.

The left is about looking after workers rights. health and safety. It's about equality and looking after the vulnerable, sick, elderly. It's about giving people dignity. Absolutely no politician or party is perfect, but your idea that 'the left' is about 'somebody else's should always pay' couldn't be more wrong. It's a con, a gimmick created by the people who go after those less well off, nurses and teachers. The people who will spend your money on special advisors. The people who will personally profit off the housing and health crises they created. The people who will sign us up to 25 year leases for luxury apartments, with no option to buy, for the very same people they won't build social housing we own to rent to them and all under the idea that somehow renting people properties we own, is giving into spongers, but leasing luxury apartments for them isn't.

You cannot always buy a house. Affordable rent would be acceptable to many, but that's getting harder to come by. Also, IMO, people shouldn't apologise for wanting to live near family and their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Ah yeah that clears it up then. No crisis. Close the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Anecdotal evidence, that a lot of people are doing very well financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Anecdotal evidence that one person, or even a lot of people, are doing well financially, does nothing to contradict the argument that there is a cost of living crisis.

Surely you must understand this.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭patmahe

As a general rule the more you make, the less you will notice the cost of living crisis.

Below is rough but you get the idea.

100k+ you'll just spend more and have slightly less disposable.

40k+ you'll notice a pinch but you'll make a few changes and get on with things, you're not rich but you're not poor either.

20k+ you may have already been struggling to pay rent/heat/put food on the table, the cost of living increase will be very noticeable to you and you may now have to make difficult choices between food/heat/keeping a roof over your head.

XXk+You were already hovering just above the poverty line, just about making ends meet, you are on a state pension only, or some form of government payment as your only source of income, you may be ill or unable to work. You buy the same food every week because you know you can just about afford it, you walk places because a car or taxis are a luxury you cannot afford. To this person a change in the price of the things they need week in week out could send then under completely, for these people the cost of living crisis is very real.

The point is that the poorest and most vulnerable will feel the pinch first. But left unchecked it will spread to other parts of society, costs of business will become so high prices will have to rise, people will stop spending, businesses close, jobs are lost, social welfare costs are increased and there are fewer people working to cover the cost so taxes will have to rise.

We are in the early stages of a cost of living crisis, for people on a reasonable income its not as noticeable just yet, but its already affecting some and will affect more and more if corrective measures aren't taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,254 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The present cost of living crisis is energy related. It was going to happen anyway with carbon taxes and the demand on resources.

Energy costs are impacting different products accross the economy it's just faster than it was supposed to be. The biggest pact that consumers see is in food prices.

However your assumption that it hits someone on 20 k more than someone on 40 k maybe incorrect. At 20 k you see more social supports. A single person on 20k would get HAP support for accommodation which would more than likely there largest costs. A person on 40 k gets no support. More than likely they are traveling further to work as well. People on 20 k ate on the minimum wage and always find work near where they live.

The person on 40k is either a semiskilled worker or generally a person in the early stages of there career. My son is in Dublin paying 800/ month for accomodation there is no support as his wages are above the 35k limit on wages to get HAP. Therefore this cohort is often impacted more than the 20 k cohort.

At the end if it all you make choices with you income. The biggest issue is the mismanagement of you income.

We cannot spend/ subsidize our population for this increase without seriously causing longterm structural issues in the economy

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭patmahe

Agreed, that's why I said it was rough but you get the idea. Some is down to personal mismanagement but some are on very low incomes and maybe not even availing of all available supports through not being aware of them, these are the ones we need to worry about. But I agree it needs to be a balanced approach not just a free for all subsidy. Scenarios such as the one you outline with your son being a perfect case in point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

I do find this thread funny because it was started by a teacher yet theres loads of them over in the pay talks thread moaning about cost of living crisis. Needing a pay rise.

This comical stuff just writes itself

😄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

And when teachers are given the opportunity to earn additional money by marking exams, they turn it down. The State Exams Commission is finding it harder and harder to find markers despite increased rates and removal of payroll deductions.

Chancers and charlatans.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

It isn't just inflation that's biting people. A lot of the price increases in everything are to do with price gouging. There is a lot more price matching that price reduction going on which really doesn't help. I used to be able to shop between 3 or 4 different places for the best price but Lidl is catching up with Dunnes pricing and Iceland is the kind of place where I'd only buy a few things as I prefer to cook fresh food not frozen. Every week what I buy in the supermarket increases in price. I've switched brands a few times but the supermarkets are screwing people sideways. At this rate people are going to be buying a lot more cheap salty sugary food because fresh meat, fish and poultry will be too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

Same sh1t different year. Every single year, at least once a year, the teachers unions are out bitching that they want more money and talking about strikes. It's as predictable as Easter eggs on supermarket shelves when the Christmas stock comes off the shelves in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

For all interested.

Sorry can't get it to rotate.

Advertisement