Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the cost of living crisis exactly?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Maybe we can stick them in tents? Because tents are an acceptable form of housing these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,631 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

What measures do they want to see in the budget? If the government throw money at everyone inflation will continue to rise. Unfortunately, we need to accept that we're in a tough time ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

Here's the back of the flyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

And voted in by fools and the "i'm alright Jack" set.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I'm feeling the pinch, I'll probably only save 20k this year as opposed to almost 23k last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Something like 80-90% of the adult population own a home.

So 80-90% of people want property prices to rise. If you were a political party looking for votes, what would you do?

Honestly, I see it in myself. I gave out for years about the price of property, then I bit the bullet and bought a house. Now it doesn't phase me. So long as I can afford my mortgage, all is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Heard one on the radio today who said said after becoming made permanent she developed anxiety because she had bills to pay

Clip is on newstalk and is repeated on the news bulletin throughout the day for anyone who thinks I'm telling fibs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Then they go 'waaah why are my kids still at home??'

'Waaah! Why can't my Sorcha find a house for uni??'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Something like 80-90% of the adult population own a home.

So 80-90% of people want property prices to rise. 

Do this 80 or 90% not have kids and grandkids? Do they not have empathy? Also rising house prices only benefit the already wealthy. If you sell your house you can only afford to buy similar or down size.

Add to that the waste of money on emergency accommodation, once for emergencies, now standard. The leasing of luxury apartments for 25 years and buying houses all to use as social.

That's the difference between you and me so. I own a house, i don't want house prices to rise. I see a house as a home not an investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I wonder when we as a nation are going to take to the streets about the way we're being treated? The woman says that whether the costs are passed on to the consumer remains to be seen, of course the costs will be passed to consumers.

https://www.thejournal.ie/electricity-supply-5844140-Aug2022/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It's scandalous what the main energy companies are doing. I'm talking about the generators like ESB, Bord Gais etc.

They are increasing standing charges massively. This is because the increased installation of solar panels. Everyone really still needs to connect to the grid but the energy companies know that more panels installed means less electricity used from them so less income. But they'll still make bank through the standing charges which has no connection to power usage.

I think it's because we simply won't have enough electricity supply this Winter and they don't want to admit it. Ennis just got planning permission for a huge Data centre. Seems to be a booming industry here. Many people don't have a choice not to use electricity between those hours. People are coming home from work and cooking dinner, doing dishes, having showers, bathing kids etc. I looked at the supposedly cheaper tariffs off peak plans on my Electric Ireland account and apart from the fact that it would be really inconvenient it would actually cost me more than the standard tariff I have now. I'm not sure how safe it is either to encourage people to leave appliances like washing machines etc on while people are asleep in bed at night.

We won't. Irish people are some of the most docile on the planet when it comes to calling our supposed betters to account. Water protests aside which was really a working class grass roots movement we are a i'm alright Jack society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I was going to say this. Most people don't care how much their house is worth because it's their family home. But I can see how people get sucked in. Last year we were switching mortgage and had to get an up yo date valuation. Estate agent came out and started telling me if we did this and that we'd add so much to our house value. I didn't care about that as all I wanted was my loan to value rate to be under 50% which it was. But they way he was going on it was as if the numbers written on his page was going to put money in our pocket. I don't care what my home is worth. It's my home and once we have it paid for I will then have the peace of mind that we won't have to worry about ever facing the prospect of homelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

People can live in suspended animation in vats and we can produce electricity from them like in the Matrix !

2 problems solved in one !!

Also, people are on screens most of the time, so they can live in this Matrix / Metaverse permanently without noticing anything different to their quality of life.

And they can study whatever they want and travel wherever they want to virtually with no c02 emissions ...

Nirvana !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,253 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That a kind of rent a mob poster.

There is no indictation who this cost of living coalition are. Have they been democratically formed.

They will have 2-4 k marching 20-30% pushing prams. RTE will show highlights and declare there was 20-30k there

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Madeoface

How are they gonna reduce the price of energy? The war in Ukraine is the main driver.

Putting 'we need a living wage' in a line that is demanding sw increases is disingenuous. I agree fully with the former but increase welfare by the same amount and the disincentive to actually work grows.

Stop profiteering by energy companies. Yes, absolutely, so having the event supported by esb retired workers is pretty ironic. Even their own union official some time ago that said they had people over a barrell on utilities and made 'plenty of gravy' over the boom and were 'spoilt'.? Rte retired workers support too?....tv licence, bin that. 160 lids there for a service most don't use (most sw recipients don't pay this indirect tax either).

This government may be pretty weak but jaisus, that collective of whingers...get that licence scrapped tho I might be a convert.

There's a food bank at the shopping centre in my town. It's open for an hour or so on a Friday from 12. This morning at 11 o'clock I passed by and there were 3 elderly people queuing outside. Literally across the street is a building with non Irish people living rent free, getting 3 free meals a day and full Social welfare. Over the past few months I've seen someone that I know using the food bank, thankfully she's never seen me because she'd be mortified if she knew that I'd seen her. I was shocked to see her using it. That line is only going to get longer, on both sides of the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Allinall

What are the three old people doing with their money if they can't afford food?

I'd say they were just looking for a freebie.

• Advertisement

Paying for electricity, food, clothing, medicine, you know, all the day to day things that people usually pay for, except that they are on a fixed income. The State Pension doesn't go far. Not to worry though, I'm sure we'll be seeing many more of them outside Food Banks in the winter months, RTE might even interview a few of them. But hey, all those people living from pay check to pay check and struggling on pensions don't really deserve our help do they?

It's a real shock to the system when you see someone you know depending on a food bank. I genuinely hope that never happens to anyone that you know. It's a horrible place to be in knowing that someone is struggling and wanting to help them but knowing that if you bring it up you'll make things worse and mortify them. This person isn't young and lives alone with no family around. I doubt that they have a clue that she's struggling and her generation would never ask family for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

People on fixed incomes will have to pay alot more for esb, gas bills, yes we are a rich country, people in high wages hardly notice if grocerys go up by 10 per cent and many people will switch to shopping in Tesco aldi, buying cheaper ni brand items

Retired people pensioners have no way of increasing their income

Also rents and house prices are still high some people may only have 40 euro to spend after paying all the bills each week

We are a small country there's little we can do to tackle inflation many sectors eg tech have a high demand for skilled workers so they pay high wages to attract top talent

Inflation is driven by the cost of energy transportation supply chain crisis climate change is reducing the supply of some products making farming for expensive

We have zero control over those factors

The only people I can think of that are overpaid are Politicans senators

Of course if you have no mortgage you have more income to cover rising costs

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

I don't have the answers to your questions but I think any show against the government is better than nothing at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Received the Bord Gais bill this week in the post. The estimate used is significantly lower than that for the previous bill that I received in mid June. Reading on the meter is much higher than that on the current bill. Strange since May and June are summer months.

Don't like to be paying the extra 15% or so that is expected for the difference on the next bill.

I'll put up the numbers later when I'm home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

SSE airtricity increasing their prices again this year. Gas by 39% and electricity by 35.4%.

These price increases can't continue by energy companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭malinheader

I think that they can. RTE news reported that they are not under control of a regulator. Seems there a law unto them selves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭brickster69

It's very true. While one organization was more concerned about sausages going from one part of a country to another part, they forgot to regulate the whole energy pricing sector. 😂😂

All roads lead to Rome.

I don't know what to do this winter with the electricity increase. After rent paid and putting aside something each week for electricity, I'm left with €95 a week and this is before I think about this electricity increase that is due and my grocery shop is normally between €70-80 a week. The little bit left, I normally put it towards phone credit which covers the internet as well. So yeah, can't afford the increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Hope you get through it.

Fully expect the "I'm allright Jack" contingent to come along and tell you to get rid of your netflix sub and that will solve it.

• Advertisement

Cancelled all subscriptions a few months ago. Have an appointment made with mabs, so hoping something comes from that as I honestly can't afford to buy a new pair of shoes. But I don't know where they think I can get an extra 35% for the electricity increase.

Advertisement