Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the cost of living crisis exactly?

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The cost of gas oil electricity is going up, meanwhile you go to the shops, food, grocerys are going up in price, rents are not going down. People on low fixed incomes may face a choice of turning off the heat or buying food. This effects small shops pubs too, they are facing high esb heating bills. I see no solution to this, russia cutting off the gas supply to Europe is causing prices to rise. People will switch to buying non brand food items at Tesco aldi I think regulators never thought that the cost of energy would rise so high or that there would be a war in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Speaking to a relative yesterday. Wouldn't class them as old but around pension age. Totally out of touch with what is going on. Working people don't know how good they have it, bad with managing money, noones fault only there own if they are feeling the pinch. I didnt argue as what was the point. But it struck me that this is the attitude of many people. This relative was a stay at home parent when their kids were small and moved into a home that was almost paid for in full the day they moved in. And is now lecturing anyone who will listen about how they had it hard. It's actually sickening listening to it.

People are struggling. The amount of posts I've read over the weekend with younger people worrying about the cost of fuel, food, heating is on the rise every week. And it's only September. Some people are already at the end of their tether and more will reach it soon.

The government could save a lot of money by outsourcing religion and geography teaching to India over Teams. One lad in Bangalore could do the whole thing. We saw how essential teachers actually were during the pandemic. Win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Because of the obsession fir trains as a format for public transport we have failed to maximize the bus option. If the money spend on trains ( with the exception of those around Dublin was redirected to buses we see a marked improvement in service delivery which might encourage consumers to use them more

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We will cope better and more cheerfully than many as we are used to being careful and managing with less ... ( nearly 80 here)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I wish I had a food bank near here.. Wonderful they are.. make a very real difference ..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They were end of life and not worth upgrading.

They couldn't make 8% now anyway as demand has gone up.

Ardnacrusha once had more than enough output to power the whole country. Things change.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Exactly. People go on and on and on about pensioners, but the old age pension is quite generous in this country (Thanks to Bertie buying votes) and they get all sorts for free.

Meanwhile working families with young children struggle and get f all help. Schools up their own arse with branded uniforms, workbooks, etc. etc. you'd have to question what planet some school principals are living on.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Hahaha

But we waste vast sums on religion and Irish which are both a complete waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Any jobs going in your place?

What's the money like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

This is so true. In my school today principal hounding people for fundraising money from last June. Totally out of touch with reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Well I really would rather not work and play computer games, but that would be a terrible irresponsible use of my time and money

There is plenty of work out there. Jump now before the recession hits.

One thing that amazes me is the amount of brand new SUV's around. To look at them one would wonder about the crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Finance.

Same people will be on the Joe Duffy show or Primetime crying and blaming the gubbermint in a few months time when they can't afford the repayments or heating their house.

They must have an income to get the finance though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Probably for sure but iv'e seen lads on 40k a year get finance for 80k cars. We've a coach driver in our place with a 212 Tesla i doubt he paid for it with cash tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭malinheader

Cost of living crisis is when a bag of coal goes up by 15 euros, diesel is up nearly double, electricity and most other utilities are nearly doubled and there solution is 80 cent an hour or 6.40 euros extra a day.

Really fu## in brilliant.

Tesla i doubt he paid for it with cash tbh.

I agree. seems to be some who are not affected though. Gap seems getting wider. i heard a story on radio a man had to travel 60 mile round bus trip for a food package while streets full of SUV's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,251 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Different people will face different levels of inflation depending on personal circumstances, preparation etc.

On electricity and gas for example, my bills are lower now than in 2018 because of solar panels, new boiler, insulation etc. They will go above 2018 levels with the next increase in October. However, I am paying back a loan (thankfully fixed-rate) for those. Where I really benefit is that the return on investment will be much quicker.

You can't even distinguish on age grounds. A young FTB who bought an A-rated house near public transport on a five-year fixed-rate mortgage is facing a lower inflation rate than someone who bought second-hand D-rated on a variable rate hoping to fix it up.

Ditto for fixed pensions versus other pensions etc.

Advertisement