Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the cost of living crisis exactly?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Celticfire

I'd say it's more likely the box room in their Ma's house.

Nah.. I'd say he's living outside of the cities, is single, just a short drive from work, etc.

The two major considerations are rent and kids. Rent in Ireland is nuts, especially in the cities.. and likely to increase as we have an inept government.

Having kids changes everything. Childcare, school uniforms/books, all those extras for kids (tours, phones, pocket money) adds up. And adds up hard.

It's generally easy for single people to cut corners. Much harder for families with a few kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

I'm a teacher with two children and a third on the way. We're absolutely feeling the pinch, mainly with fuel costs, rising esb bills and grocery costs, but we are lucky that there are things we can cut back on. Planned home renovations have been put on hold indefinitely. Childminding fees will be halved when I go on maternity leave. Our holiday this year is house swopping for a week with my sister in law who lives by the beach 2 hours away from us. Family days out capped to free activities.

I think the degree to which you feel feel crises is so individual depending on your circumstances. For example we have a mortgage, child care fees and a car loan as well as creditcard debt. We have one low earner and one mid earner in our household. A similar sized family without debt would not be feeling the pinch as much as us, on the other hand a family with only one mid to low earner and a stay at home parent would feel the pinch more. A singleparent family more again...etc.

Experiences are so individual I really don't think any two households will experience this crises the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Happymonkey123

I think OP slightly shortsighted. Great they are not feeling crisis....yet. Point is if price of oil continues to go up it affects everything, there is a war in Eastern Europe & looks like nothing changing. Inflation half people can deal with, hyperinflation 99% cant. When government have to reduce your wage as their income is greatly deflated due to businesses shutting down, rise in welfare & inability of people to pay taxes & make purchases, you'll prob feel pinch then! Maybe OP should consult a History teacher, rising inflation in Europe in 1930s causing unrest, one of primary reasons growth in Fascism & World War 2.

"Winter is coming"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,977 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

cause we re all the same, we all experience life exactly the same, we all are in the same place in life, in particular in relation to finances, i.e. the cost of living for all, is always the same, always.......oh wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Despite OP just asking a question, unfortunately there are a lot of trolls and hypocrites on boards who will bash away instead of responding respectfully, not worth giving them any attention

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Surely your joking 😳 minor increases in some food products 😳

March 2022

Butter own Brand €2.29, Now €3.49

Cream own Brand €1 now €1.49

Milk 1 litre own brand €0.79 now €1.39

I'll focus on Dairy but shocking increases weekly on Meat and other products.

Diesel & Petrol 😳 need I elaborate

Utility prices, Need I elaborate 🤔

Every day necessities, need I elaborate 🤔

Of course inflation partly to blame, but seriously, weekly blatant price gouging is taking the absolute Pee & few, actually no one calling it out.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭touts

We are feeling it every day in petrol, groceries etc.

But just one small example that struck me yesterday. 24 cans of minerals in Tesco. We got some packs before last Christmas for 9.99. Yesterday in the same Tesco they were in the special "promotions" section with the "reduced" price of €14 with a clubcard. 40% increase.

Ok that's just one example but it is one that stuck in my mind yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

How many people do you think fit in restaurants in comparison with say the full population? It doesnt mean shite.

...and many large corporations, including energy companies, showing record profits!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Gotta hate this age of the big corporations during which this cost of living crisis gets worst for the poorest all the while these large these companies make records profits.

Costly wars popping up at the same time further impacting some countries spending. Funnily enough to large companies who will make record profits from that too.

But really this thread isn't about that, it is an old school will waving contest attempt by the OP. Ohhhh look at me I'm so rich and frivolous all these cost of living increases don't even affect me.

Probably apart from putting the butler on half days or something.

😜😆

ah tis a bit more than that, its actually an attempt to ridicule elements of society, to point the blame at them for their own failures, its a common approach by the more conservative and libertarian members of the forum, and you d be surprised by amount of people that believe it to....

you can see elements of this in the uk also....

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

There's a honeymoon period occuring with people going on holidays they have already booked since the end of the pandemic restrictions. So things look good interms of restaurants packed and busy holiday towns etc... But there's a big hangover coming once back to school costs kick in along with rising foods costs, fuel, repaying loans for holidays and the big one, mortgage interest increase.

I'm honestly flabbergasted the cost of living crisis could be so trivialised.

Maybe some live in ivory towers and are not impacted at what's going on. I'd wager the vast majority impacted, wether they be working, on limited incomes and even those who were relatively comfortable.

There's something very different about this particular crisis, I recall the crash and indeed dare I say last recession. Costs are spiralling almost weekly and whilst there's some explanations for some price increases , there's many unanswered questions, particularly with what I see as blatant gouging going on in Supermarkets.

We get Monthly inflation figures and yet Supermarkets in particular seem to have their own, Daily and weekly inflation numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Wezz

Maybe when schools reopen in September you can have a look around your class and see the impact on people. Not being personally affected by something doesn’t mean it’s not happening. I’m lucky myself to not have felt it too much in any serious way - we have cut back on our social life and won’t be taking a city break this winter so very first world problems but it’s still an impact. We both work and don’t have kids so we can absorb it to a point, others don’t have that wiggle room.

I'm not a parent but my lord I've seen a lot of mention on Boards and Twitter about the staggering costs of Uniforms and back to school expenses , honestly I don't know how parents are coping. I hear mention of back to school allowance as if it's anywhere near enough & if folks are eligible, I also hear of extraordinary delays in processing this and indeed the working family payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

The original post sounds like a Fine Gael message

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Just buy less booze and takeaway.

The moment whn you realise the OP just wants to talk shyte and stir shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Why don't you explain that to the portion of your students that will probably be coming to school hungry from Sept on. For a teacher you don't seem to to be able to grasp the situation at all - either that or you are simply trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭893bet

I am insulated to a large degree. Obviously still see the huge difference in costs.

I always think how the hell do people on minimum wage or even up to 40k-50k per year survive. I guess the word is surviving rathering than thriving.

yea tis very worrying stuff when you see people on 50k+ a year struggling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

With the whole climate change issue, this crisis might be a good thing. Less consumerism should lead less emissions. Pain now for gain in the long run. We will all suffer if we don't try and reign in our emissions.

Can society be happier with less? I believe so. Especially if we dont have to work as hard.

...we clearly need to reduce consumption, but in order to do that, we also need to try figure out this wealth inequality thingy with it, or else....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I haven’t had to cut back on anything, but I have less left over at the end of the month as I did previously, so I definitely see an impact and I don’t like it.

@Cork Lass ”Why don't you explain that to the portion of your students that will probably be coming to school hungry from Sept on”

That’s really not the OP’s problem, but the parents’. We all make our choices and need to live with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,029 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The media, as usual have over-played and over-hyped the crisis. Sensationalism sells!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

I'm on 38k. Employer put up the prices and rates he charges customers as his cost of materials and products has increased. Complains to staff to be more efficient with production, repair, utilities etc.

Nobody in the company has gotten a raise. All requests refused. One long serving individual told "if you can find someone to pay you more then maybe you should go"

Company has never been busier

yea, some companies are cleaning up, but their costs have sky rocketed as well, this wont end well, wages have to rise, or else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

People in the public sector ( see the thread) seem to think everyone in private sector is getting raises across the board and now they want a piece of the pie too.

Almost everyone is feeling increased cost of living but lower paid (mostly in private sector) are getting absolutely crucified

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Patsy167

If someone is on €50k in Ireland with no dependencies and can only "survive" they need to take a serious look at where their money is going.

Advertisement