Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the cost of living crisis exactly?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I think everybody will remember the Winter of 22 whether it effects you or not

looking across the water on the news tonight it will up there with the miners strikes and the poll tax riots

when people are found dead in cold houses and they will it’s going to get very messy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

There’s going to be an alarming number of house fires this winter caused by people, many elderly, lighting candles instead of turning on electric lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Are you now typing by candlelight with a mouse running on a wheel to generate your internet? Or are you not the one who pays the bills?

Clothes have gone up.

Dentists bills have gone up.

Doctors Bills have gone up.

Salons have gone up.

Electricity bills have gone up 39% since the start of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭downtheroad

How many times a week do you use your washing machine? Has it ever once gone on fire?

I'm not looking forward to growing old because so many people seem to think the elderly are beyond useless. AIB couldn't close bank branches "because of the elderly" and now they're too incompetent to use a candle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

One day you will realise living on a modest pension you haven’t much spare at the end of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭kyote00

There is a going belief that they will be rationing of power, gas and fuel over the winter in both the UK and Germany.

The uncertainty (manipulation) of supply of Russian gas and oil coming into Europe is going to bring a very different winter

All we can hope for in Ireland is that it’s a windy winter ….. having peat burning power stations as a backup would have been good but they were closed without due consideration for energy independence

im planning for power rationing over the winter .

no harm for everyone to find the top 5 power consumption things in their home and work and make some provisions to reduce or live without

• Registered Users Posts: 39,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jesus, that is epic scare mongering.

Elderly people are not simpletons.

Some may even avail of cheap rechargeable 5 volt torches which give off more illumination than a 100 candles.

Or maybe even a low wattage lamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

The unit of electricity is double the price it was this time last year. If that doesn’t bother you then…good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

If there's talks about rationing fuel, can anyone explain why bus eireann is getting away with driving empty buses 13 km?

I cycle to work in the mornings because I don't have any other way into work in the mornings. The bus journey goes from A to B and B to A with stops between (I don't want to give away where I'm from), but it's a 13km journey. So while I'm cycling my route, an empty bus leaves town and passes right by me, only to have a bus ready to start at the B location. But doesn't pick up passengers at all on the way.

Surely, something like this shouldn't be allowed to continue with possible fuel shortages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The opening poster hasn't been in a class room since their teenage years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭lalababa

I personally so far am only getting hit mainly on petrol, electricity, heating electricity, groceries, the odd take out. I don't really go to the pub anymore (can't be arsed). My rent has been the same for a good while.They way I live I don't really need any services/jobs done by skilled/semi skilled trades.

But afaik anybody buying materials or and paying tradespeople are getting stung big time. Materials are gone up globally and add in the fact that our defacto warehouse the uk is taxed an additional 25% ish.

Nearly all the big ticket items come from or via the UK . Most businesses are still operating this way. Cars new and old, building supplies, industrial supplies, you name it ..it comes from the UK. Shipping costs have skyrocketed...so think about gobal and European shipping to the UK. European goods are taxed comming into UK and taxed going out from UK into Ireland. It's a clusterfxxk for Ireland and for UK businesses into Ireland.

Once better trade routes are established..ie more ferries and cargo ships directly to the continent, and substantial warehousing of goods comming directly from the continent OR NI can prices be seen to slacken. These things take time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

and I'd say they spent most of that time in the corner.

And what has that got to do with the ability to supervise a candle?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,285 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The peat burning stations were akin to a fart in a hurricane, a few tens of megawatts at most.

Just a Midlands workfare programme really, at massive environmental and taxpayer cost.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,285 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'd love to know how anyone reckons it's cheaper to light your home with candles. They're not cheap.

You can do f all by candlelight.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭malinheader

Going to be a tight winter when you're mother of 84 is paying 86 euros for 3 bags of coal and told its going up another 5 a bag before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Juran

Increase in energy costs will impact manufacturing costs significants .. eg. The power used at factories for production lines for both raw materials and final produce, heating offices & factories, cooling food production storage, transport costs of moving raw materials and finished produce .. then the cost of storage, cooling and heating of the shops and shopping centre. The suppy chain is so long, and every one of those links in the chain will increase costs to cover energy and fuel costs.

The basic weekly shop will jump, luxury items will be left out of the weekly shop.

Household items such as toasters, bed linen, cutlery etc. Will become expensive, and probably people will think twice about buying these unless they are really nessesary. Clothes & shoes prices will increase, there will be less mad shopping sprees.

Cars prices will rise again in 2023, some people who traded up every couple of years, will hold onto their 3 year old car for another year or two.

All these small cost saving practices across most households will have a huge impact on the economy.

I don't know if working people on lower salaries are entitled to rent support through HAP ?? but if they dont, I can totally see why they would jack it in and move to welfare, where they seem to be protected by the state (and i,m not talking about disability, carers or sick welfare).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Are ya sure ya wont be buying a new 60k EV and retrofitting your home to the tune of 100k.

Not an EV, but a 2023 €70k diesel SUV is currently on order, and my mortgage free house was upgraded over the past 10 years bit by bit, so no retrofitting required. But thanks for asking teddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Roll back there, in 2016 peat plants gave 8%.

It's not small. The problem with your I'm alright Jack attitude is it doesn't take in to account the bigger picture.

Did I forget to add that I have worked bloody hard for the past 25 years, studies hard at university for 7 years, grew up without a penny, paid and continue to pay a serious amount of taxes in this country, donate quiet a lot to local charity, I have never claimed unemployment benefit or rent allowance. I also helped put family members through college the past 10 years. So yes, an increase in the cost of living will not impact me as much as a lot of friends and families. But I will help anyone in my circle who will need it.

With the government surplus of taxes, I would like to see financial aid and tax breals go towards those who study, work and contribute to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

lol...We cope and more than cope far better than many young ones. Hypothermia deaths are often because heating a home well enough in winter is beyond our means .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Registered Users Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

For anyone scared of heating costs this winter, you should get an electric blanket.

They're cheap to buy, cheaper than heating the room, keep you warm enough, and use very little electricity.

You can get ones for the bed and also ones you can wrap around yourself, like a comforter when you're sitting on the couch.

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I've seen a number of comments about feeling the pinch especially with people with kids...

I fully understand why that is the case, the costs of school books, uniforms, "voluntary" contributes, childcare etc etc...

Myself and the OH literally sat down with a spreadsheet for money and time when we were digging into weather we wanted kids, and what we'd have to give up...and we are still currently in the camp of remaining childfree...

But we get looks like we're are sociopaths for being so analytical about the topic...but from what I can see, a very large proportion of the population can barely afford children even before the current issues, and some of these people are still popping out more children...

I have limited sympathy to be honest, and I come from a working class background, worked since I was 15 in a number of poor paying jobs, and I've recently found a better paying job(still poor pay apparently)...and I see people earning multiples of what I earn and struggling week in week out... seriously what is the point of having children if it's going to be consent struggle

That's probably one of the most tone deaf comments I've read here in a while.

No one should be running incandescent light bulbs in 2022. LED bulbs are cheap as chips and cost pennies to run. The payback period is weeks compared to incandescent and a few months to CFL

Lighting takes very little energy nowadays.

Heating is where the bulk of the energy is consumed in most houses.

People want to have them?

My car is a constant struggle between fuel and parts. I wouldn't go without it.

I presume people feel the same about kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Happens a bit, I know the same thing happens in Bruff county Limerick at least twice a day, 6 days a week

Advertisement