Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club Championships 2022/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Rosita

Personal attacks on the person offering the opinion is not the most convincing counter-argument to their views though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,162 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Calling someone a "professional troll" is personal name-calling. You don't call a person's work "a troll". It's clearly the individual person that's being referred to. This is a strange one to nail your colours to just to keep it going. Better if it's some way rational and defensible.

He could be a perfectly nice person personally. But that is a description of his work life. It's even there in the words used. 'Profession'al troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

No, it's his opinion on the observable events without hiding behind non existent un named "sources" to attribute statements to Crokes which were never said. One is honest opinion, the other is malicious fiction.

• Advertisement

I like the way you distort "work" into "work-life" hoping no one will notice to try to say the word "troll" refers to a body of work and not the person. You try hard to be fair to you. Doesn't stop it being gibberish though.

The idea that Glen made an absolute dog's dinner of themselves is irrefutable and it's nice to see someone look past the "plucky outsiders" nonsense and call it what it is. Take your beating and not go looking for some last minute technicality to do what you failed, despite a sizeable lead, to do on the pitch. Or else have the guts to see it through.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

"Journalists" like Conlon are paid to write outrage, click bait articles like that to drive clicks and ad revenue (Brolly would be of a similar vein). You can easily search his previous pieces if you don't believe me. That's a well known tactic by journalists nowadays so I'm a little confused as to how it's news to you.

Strangely, someone made a similar comment about Brolly being a **** stirrer at the same time (which I would generally agree with) but yet you didn't leap to his defence.

He 'made it up' in other words.

If you cannot work out that the article is his interpretation of what is observable, you really shouldn't be reading journalism.

Glen showed they didn't give a **** about the cup, what they cared about was the rulebook and the integrity of the GAA itself.

After the GAA ordered a replay thus making the result void they basically said to the huffing and puffing and threatening Crokes...'keep the cup if it means that much to you'.

That would be my view and the view of many many true gaels of the observeable events.

• Advertisement

A cup with no integrity is just a bit of pewter catching dust.

If you genuinely can't see a difference between someone writing a transparent opinion piece and the prejudicial clickbait article you unsurprisingly chose to believe where the writer attributed a made up position that Crokes wouldn't fulfill a replay if that was the ultimate outcome of the investigation process to an unnamed "source" then that's just a reflection of your own anti Crokes bias which in fairness is visible for all to see and is quite sad really.

Un-named 'sources' are quoted across all media lad...you'd know that if you read some journalism. Good that you admit your man 'made it up'.

I'm sure Glen knew that Crokes would ultimately refuse to play a replay, so once they nullified the result by winning their appeal that the rules were broken they left it at that. Saved Crokes from embarrassing themselves some more. They can go out an play the next day with heads held high...Crokes will be the butt of jokes and jibes.

I have no intention of reading previous pieces to decide whether I believe you or not. Nor do I have time to look up some reference to Joe Brolly and react to it just to be consistent.

My point stands - if you had a rational argument against Conlon's piece you could have given it. Instead you called him "a professional troll". That's fine if you think that but it's not an argument. Shooting the messenger is the oldest and most transparent trick in the book.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,685 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

'Shooting the messenger is the oldest and most transparent trick in the book' - its fine if you think that but it's not an argument.

Both 'Crokes refusing to replay' and 'Glen knowing that Crokes would ultimately refuse to replay' are positions made up by you. Absolute confection. Total fabrication. Products of your imagination. Or maybe plucked from the previously maligned "unnamed sources"? You write this and at the same time have the nerve to take issue with an opinion piece because your man "made it up"? You are quite the peddler of fiction yourself.

100% spot on. @FrancieBrady is incredibly sour and prejudiced against Crokes for some reason but thankfully his opinion is an irrelevance when weighed up against the opinion of an actual true Gael who is one of the greatest football players of all time having won 8 All Irelands and who had this to say on the matter today:-

"So let’s, for one final time, state the facts. It was the officials who made the mistake, not Kilmacud Crokes. The Dublin champions deserved to win the game – they should have won it more comfortably. The 16th man had absolutely no influence on the game or its outcome." Pat Spillane.

I wonder whose opinion will prevail? Pat Spillane or @FrancieBrady the sad and bitter keyboard warrior? 🤔

And you have made it up that the journalist was not quoting a source. Simply put, you have no idea.

You 'chose' not to believe the story as is your right. I can also chose to believe it, it tallies with their behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mikefromcork

The one saving grace in all this is that Kilmacud were clearly the better team on the day and therefore deserving winners. The one reservation I would have about the outcome is that IMO if the shoe was on the other foot, Kilmacud would go the full legal route and would not be conceding. But you would hope the likes of Mannion and Walsh would stand up and refuse to play. A sad situation but the best team in Ireland won, so move on.

The best team in Ireland won with 17 players on the field illegally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mikefromcork

There is something clearly personal/political to you in all this. Your use of 17 says everything.

I used 17 because if I said 16, somebody would correct me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭Liamalone

The 'best' team in Ireland won but cheated along the way and then when pulled up on it had the gall to appeal a blatant rule break. Fair play to Glen for pulling the plug on it when it became clear the other team were oblivious to their mistake and unwilling to do the decent thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I would take @FrancieBradys opinion over Pat Spillanes opinion all day long. In fact, I would take anybodys opinion over Pat Spillanes. Spillane is the greatest spoofer of all time. And in this case, he obviously hasn't taken the time to review the rules of the game. As it has clearly been demonstrated here over and over again that Kilmacud Crokes broke the rules. It is not even a matter of "did they?".

And the fact is, the GAA ruled that they had broken the rules and ordered a replay. That's the result of this game for all time.

But 'something something, Pat Spillane, bitter keyboard warriors etc etc' 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

and no other team broke a rule ? its like a broken record ; it was the referee who made the biggest mistake not re-taking 45 - anything on that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,337 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He wants to be right on the internet, it is important to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭flasher0030

That's awful muck. Glen making a dogs dinner of themselves???? That is an embarrassing statement. Glen are the only party to come of this with any integrity. They obviously decided that they would be the bigger men in this, when they saw that Kilmacud were acting the maggot and were going to bully their way by appealing something that they had clearly breached the rules.

It doesn't matter who...the fact is, the rules were broken and KC's counter appeal was thrown out and they were ordered to replay the game. That's the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Before the process had taken its course, Glen walked away. Their contention that the conditions do not exist for a replay to be contested is jumping the gun. Glen were going to be no worse off if they couldn't field a team on the day. If Crokes failed to field a team, it could have opened the way for further action possibly awarding the title to Glen. Glen should have seen the process through, or decided not to raise an objection in the first place.

“Watty Graham’s GAC, Glen lodged an objection to the result of the All-Ireland club final because we believed that grounds existed for a replay to be held if Rule 6.44 had been broken.

“However, the club does not now believe that the opportunity is there for a replay to go ahead.

“Due to the ongoing proceedings, we as a club now do not believe the conditions exist for a replay to be contested.

“Consequently, Watty Graham’s, Glen would like to withdraw from this process.

“The club added that the sense of pride and respect they have for their team and management would endure.

“They have treated us to countless moments of joy, which until recently, we didn’t even know were possible.

“Watty Graham’s GAC would like to thank our members for all the support they have given to our players, management and committee."

Advertisement