Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club Championships 2022/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

Well by that silly logic every single team that ever gets away with a foul or are awarded a goal that should have been a square ball or move the placement of a free forwards a few yards to gain an advantage etc are cheats and if that's the case there isn't a sports team on the planet that aren't cheats.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,337 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Anybody trying to pretend that Mullins influenced the passage of play is just talking shite, and anybody who played the game knows it.

All these tortured explanations of how Mullins standing there allowed Jimmy to push a yard forward and that allowed John to stand to the left which blocked Paddy from freeing space for Tommy to get a goal, its pathetic. Crokes could have had 13 men on the field and that game would have ended the same way, with them flooding the goal and Glen mucking up the 45.

Of course there is always some lad on the internet with nothing better to do than repeat over and over that the extra player mattered, but sure thats nothing new. Reality doesn't much care about that sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Rosita

I never mentioned anyone being "mean". That's your word. I simply pointed out that the likely motivation of some people commenting would be governed by the nature of the clubs involved i.e. egregious parasite v plucky underdog.

Many of the same people wouldn't give a fig about the rules if it happened the other way around. In fact they'd admire it as "doing what it takes" as per Lee Keegan throwing his gadget at Dean Rock.

The fact that pointing it out has to be characterised as "crying" plus the constant refrain of "Dub" and "Dubs" (showing the county involved is paramount to the criticisms) in every sentence only adds to that impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Nothing new in the GAA, the team with the deepest pockets and best connections always comes out on top in theses situations. It all depends who the cheats are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭flasher0030

If the extra player doesn't matter, why doesn't every team do what Crokes did. If it's so trivial, shure its not going to impact on the result.

Anyone that is involved in football knows that the KC mgnt threw on 2 subs at the end and knew that only one came off. It's a very basic concept of management - you instruct one guy on, and you advise the other guy to come off. If the other guy is the far side of the pitch, you instruct the sub to advise the guy to come off. It's the teams responsibility to do that, other wise there are the specific penalties. The sub ran on, ran towards the goal where Mullin was positioned on the goalline. Instead of giving an order, he just turned towards play and carried on. They knew well what they were doing. It is likely that the intent wasn't there at the beginning (i.e. when they were putting on a sub), but when it transpired that they saw that Mullin was still on the pitch, they did nothing about it. Didn't see any of the KC personnel running on to scream at him to get off. Why? Because it was a case of shrugging the shoulder, and just "feck it, let it play out. We'll be alright". And it worked out like that.

The KC players may not feel their win is tainted when they look at their medals, But they will be reminded of it over and over again - especially in future club games - it will spewed to them by opposition players looking for a wind-up. And friends and general colleagues will be at it too, even if its only slagging. But will get annoying for the players. It won't be just forgotten about in 2 weeks as some posters contend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭robbiezero

There is a very tiny probability that the outcome of the 45 might have ended up differently had Crokes not had a spare man on the field.

You could say that not a single Crokes player had an impact on that play as none of them touched it, but they still kinda needed to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,162 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Nonsense.

KC broke a rule. They got away with it = they cheated and faced no sanction until Glen objected.

Don't be changing the goalposts. Here's exactly what you said:

I get the overarching narrative: Kilmacud, Dublin, big, unethical - Glen, non- Dublin, small, ethical.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I think Glen pulling out was the right decision. As bad a taste as the match has left, having a replay would've taken any integrity away from this year's championship. The advantage KC got from having that extra man is impossible to quantify, but most sensible takes on the matter seem to agree that it was negligible. The only justification for the replay that I saw was people looking at the situation and adopting a very black and white approach, and tbh, most opinions that were pro-replay were heavy on emotion and reeked of wanting to punish 'the big bad Dublin club'.

The two takes I had coming out this whole situation is:

1. The substitution process does not need to change, but it needs to be shored up. I personally don't think a soccer-style approach is necessary, and would only lead to the game being slowed down unnecessarily. Plus the pitch in GAA is far bigger, so those types of subs will take a lot longer. Unless I'm mistaken, this is the first time (at Senior level) where I've seen the substitution process leading to a situation like that, and over-hauling the whole process over one incident would seem a bit reactionary.
    2. The GAA need to review how they deal with these sort of disputes. It was very unfair to leave Glen to object, and it only added to the controversy and uncertainty over the whole situation. I think no matter what side of the argument you were on, it can be agreed that the situation was handled very poorly.

Anyway, a very disappointing end to what was otherwise quite a good club championship season. Definitely whets the appetite for the inter-county season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You don’t see how having an extra player, or a player less can influence a game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭1373

Methinks Glen did the right thing , they lodged an appeal probably hoping Crokes would accept an error occurred and would offer to replay . Crokes are satisfied that they had no hand, act or part in the issue, so they lodge their objection. The strange thing about Crokes refusal to engage is that the offence that was committed meant they could have had the win taken off them , so I find it very odd that they should play hardball on this . I believe Glen pulled out of all appeals when they saw Crokes weren't interested in righting the wrongs and that was that for them and they honourable ended the process

And no I'm not a dublin basher , I'm thankful for dublin football over the years. They played football when most others were playing handpass ball

• Registered Users Posts: 18,337 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm sure you can dream up many ways in that having an extra player can influence a game.

But it didn't influence that game, and that is why the Crokes players will have no sleepless nights over their medals.

Never changed the goalposts. That's exactly what's driving this among some people. The word "mean" was still yours though.

It was you who mentioned the Dubs...then you had a pop at others mentioning them, when nobody(or very few) had.

I don't understand what you mean by "The strange thing about Crokes refusal to engage is that the offence that was committed meant they could have had the win taken off them , so I find it very odd that they should play hardball on this." How did Crokes refuse to engage? If anything they are the ones who respected and fully engaged in the complaint process. They didn't go running off the media or make public statements when all round them were speculating this and that. Instead they made their submission as requested and, as their position was as you pointed out that they had no hand, act or part in the issue, they continued to follow the process by lodging an appeal to the initial finding which would have been heard in the coming days if Glen hadn't pulled the plug. Also, how is that Crokes playing hardball?

Glen should have let the appeals process run it's course. It would be extremely naïve to think that Crokes (or any club) who felt they had no hand, act or part in the issue being objected to would simply roll over and give up a hard fought win without completing the appeal process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭howiya

Crokes weren't appealing the initial finding. An appeal at this stage could only have been successful on a technicality i.e. if the hearing did not follow the correct process. The appeal doesn't readjudicate on the facts of the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

They didn't do anything wrong really, it wasn't them that broke the rules.

It wasn't their fault the rules were broken and the GAA hadn't the system or the balls to handle the situation. It was clear the thing was going to get dragged out and protracted, probably be dragged into the courts if it kept going in the same direction as it was going. They were effectively forced into making the objection due to the lack of rigour in their systems.

It was clear that the sport was gone out of it, it is all down to the legal eagles and politicians at this stage, so they were out of it.

Not sure you understand the appeals process. If Crokes felt the Hearings Committee did not give due consideration to the role (or lack thereof) that the officials played in overseeing the substitution process or re-starting the game too early, not facilitating the re-taking of the 45 as requested by Glen etc then their appeal may have been on the basis that they hadn't received a fair hearing (which is far more substantial than a technicality) and it may have been successful but we'll never know now as Glen bizarrely pulled the plug.

This is your fourth intervention on my posts and one each one you have mentioned "Dub", "Dubs", or "Dublin" do there's a pair of us in it. It's definitely not just me. Certainly Glen or Derry doesn't interest you much.

There are plenty of examples of teams winning matches when a player down so this in not clear at all.

• Advertisement

Yes, very strange that Glen lost their bottle after starting the process. They've only embarrassed themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭howiya

I understand the appeals process very well having been on both sides of the table on many occasions. None of the things you mention are either a misapplication of rule by the hearings committee or amount to lack of a fair hearing. The appeal is not a retrial.

Post edited by howiya on

YOU mentioned the Dubs when nobody else was talking about them.

Behind a paywall. Did he quote any sources from Glen or just make it up? 😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

no doubt fueled by Brolly and that shitstirrer Gilroy

He gave his opinion on the events he could verify, no need for anonymous "sources", just good old fashioned opinion writing whereas the clickbait merchants you linked to prejudicially presented opinion and supposition as fact.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

With all due respect, Tommy Conlon is a professional troll who writes click bait and it's baffling that anyone takes him seriously.

Advertisement