Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club Championships 2022/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭robbiezero

And the lad that had to go on the goal line would have left a gap elsewhere.

The chances of the 16th man being the difference between getting that goal and not are miniscule, but they are not zero.

Note - I dont see the win as tainted and I think Glen have made the right call.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Bsharp

An interesting read. One poster reckons the extra man makes all the difference. Another poster thinks you could sneak on an extra man, during a televised final, and no one would notice.

It was noticed straight away, the ref was aware, and he carried on with the game and made no mention of it in his match report.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Treble double

Ya it's an amateur game, mistakes happen all the time, clubs have lost games as a result of worse errors than this up and down the country this year.

Fair play to Glen they have come to the right decision, they probably would not have objected originally, but got caught up in a storm of hysteria generated by Brolly and national media outlets. I don't see the aforementioned parties making noise when errors bigger than this decide the result of county championship games.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,162 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

And we are back to blaming everyone but the team with 17 on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Most on here saying the win is tainted would find other reasons to say in any case .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

Up the dubs!!! Legends , great to have confirmation of Crokers win. Split Crokes into 15!

How have they behaved impeccably? Impeccable was the managers comment after the match admitting they were beat on the day. Not putting in an objection they had no interest in following through and wasting everyone's time.

He hit it wide mate , you need to draw a line under it and enjoy your weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭1373

If you're saying it was a mistake, then why not fix it or better still why not enforce the rules that stop these mistakes a d award the game to Glen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You are missing the point, this isn’t about whether one team scored, it is about the other team cheating.

• Advertisement

In many ways Glen saved the GAA from major embarassment and pressure by making an objection. Had they not the pressure on the GAA would have been intense.

Here's hoping they embrace modern tech and reserve the right to intervene when every fair minded viewer can see that a rule was blatantly broken at a critical time.

Had KC played within the rules, there would be no other reason for it to be tainted, so I don’t see why you think others would be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Rosita

Hardly losers when they are the All Ireland champions. I get the overarching narrative: Kilmacud, Dublin, big, unethical - Glen, non- Dublin, small, ethical. But the idea that Glen, in putting in an appeal and then withdrawing from the process and not seeing it through, have somehow won is naive. In ten years time people will have forgotten about Glen and what befell them and Kilmacud will still be the 2023 All Ireland champions. If Glen have won then it's a strange kind of victory.

The victimhood syndrome is very well developed in you Dubs and Dub apologists.

Bottom line: Kilmacud broke the rules and won a final. Make no mistake, and this thread is evidence, if a similar event happens, Kilmacud's 'win' will be vividly recalled.

Glen withdrew because they felt conditions didn’t exist for a replay, it was reported during the week on TLW/Newstalk that one of their players is due to get married soon and because of work commitments and time taken off leading up to the final, the players/management would be unable to commit to training/playing another game. No doubt some of the KC players would encounter the same difficulties.

That most certainly is not them conceding that the appeal was without merit, given that it was clear for everyone to see on TV, it obviously had. KC know what they did, they know they cheated, but they still objected to what is clearly laid out in the rule book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

After the initial mood of injustice and wrongdoing felt by many in the few days after the final the prevailing feeling among most GAA pundits and ex players in the last week or so seemed to be the game would not be replayed and i'm not surprised this is the outcome.

Crokes were never going to agree to a replay. And for Glen as time moved on and some of their players were already back with the county they probably felt the good was gone out of it at that stage.

It was a disappointing end to a great win for Kilmacud Crokes. I though a replay should have been played but i can also understand Crokes reluctance to agree to it as for them the punishment exceeded the crime even though a rule was broken.

All a bit messy and how it will influence future games with similiar transgressions we'll have wait and see.

So a belated congratulations to Kilmacud Crokes from me. As time goes by i do not think there will be an asterisk attached to their name etched on the cup and the roll of honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

At best it's a Pyrrhic victory for Glen. They were right to make their objection but in doing so they should have been committed to seeing it through, otherwise why object? Now they look foolish and have wasted everyone's time.

In honour of all those who have chosen to believe Crokes deliberately cheated and/or would have refused to play the replay if that was the outcome of the appeal I'm going to believe Glen put a gun to the GAA's head by making their objection and then offering to withdraw it to save the GAA's blushes but in exchange for some grant funding for a new pitch or whatever which will mysteriously be awarded to them in a year or two.

I know there's absolutely no evidence for this whatsoever but that doesn't seem to be a barrier to all those calling Crokes cheats etc

The evidence that KC broke a rule is irrefutable. If you break a rule and get away with it then you cheated, intenionally or otherwise is of no consequence. Also irrefutable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

And one last thing on the subject. If the rolls were reversed and it was Glen who had been found guilty of the same transgression i don't think a replay would have been played either, i don't think Joe Brolly would have been as vociferous and i don't think many posters on here would have been as condemning of Glen as they have been of Kilmacud. I would have accepted Glen as worthy winners just as i have Kilmacud. Over and out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Players break rules in every game , in every sport - where they dont is the rarity - Yes Crokes broke a rule, the referee should have replayed the 45 and didn't - that was the real problem , Glen were wronged , but 16 was on the line and unaware he was been hooked.

Stupid time to make the substitution, but the referees and officals erred big time, they were the main culprits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Rosita

But Dubliners aren't the victims. Kilmacud won the cup. Where's the victimhood in that? Whatever "Dubs" are in this situation they are not victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Always sad to see cheaters prosper.

If he was unaware he was being hooked, why did KC send the extra player onto the pitch?

cause the referee re-started game before substitute had time to tell 16 he was getting hooked , play should have been stopped until substitution had been fully completed , it wasnt , so the 45 should have been re-taken, when Glen asked for it to be re-taken .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,337 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Francie doesn't care, he just wants to score points on the internet. Anybody who played the game knows that the technical breach had no material effect on the final passage of play, so let him have his point, Kilmacud were up by 2 anyway so they can spare it.

You think adding extra players only matters if they touch the ball? The guy was literally standing on the goal line. Sure why don’t all teams now throw on a few extra players at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Did money change hands...?

You were crying about people being mean because they are a Dub club.

• Advertisement

it was an error for sure , but why dont the GAA ensure/enforce substitutions are carried out correctly and timely, like in most other sports - what you suggest is never going to happen , but the GAA need to ensure rules are tightened regarding substitution policy - no player should come on field until another plater has left, that would ensure this never happens again.

Advertisement