Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club Championships 2022/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I'd say the only possible ground is that they weren't given enough time to complete the substitutions before the game restarted; can't think of anything else that they could base it on? Personally, I don't think there's much chance of the appeal being successful

• Registered Users Posts: 68,162 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You'd imagine that was raised in the original appeal.

Kilmacud just making it hard on themselves now and everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭MacDanger

True, you can't imagine there's anything new in this appeal that wasn't in their original submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

The rule is very clear on it. I agree that there is little point in the appeals to CDC and then DRA.

I guess if you go to CDC and then DRA, it uses up more time. Maybe then hoping for more pressure on Glen to drop it, or to just say "yerra, no point replaying it at this stage".

On a practical level, if there was a replay they'd probably like Mannion to get more game time, possibly in the league for Dublin, and for Shane Walsh to be back from Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭howiya

Glen withdraw from the process

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

"Due to the ongoing proceedings we as a club now do not believe the conditions exist for a replay to be contested.

"Consequently, Watty Graham’s, Glen would like to withdraw from this process," the statement continued.

"The club added that the sense of pride and respect they have for their team and management would endure.

"They have treated us to countless moments of joy, which until recently, we didn’t even know were possible.

"Watty Graham’s GAC would like to thank our members for all the support they have given to our players, management and committee.

"The club would also like to extend our sincere gratitude to all the messages of help and support we have received from throughout the country.

"We will go again. Onwards and upwards. An Gleann Abu!"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,280 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

No replay now as Glen pull out. I suspect they just wanted to show how stupid it was that they'd have to put in a complaint so the rule would be enforced

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Glen have behaved impeccably during this whole process. They seem to have decided they have enough of the bullsh1t and have moved on.

Pure class - they are the only party leaving this process with their integrity and reputation intact - I wish them nothing but goodwill for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Glen made their point not overly surprised that there won't be a replay but wasn't sure how that bit would unfold. Anyway a bad week or so for the GAA hopefully lessons learnt though we have heard that before .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

Onfield result stands, Glen have withdrawn their objection.

RTE news : Glen withdraw their appeal against club final outcome

http://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2023/0203/1353702-glen-withdraw-their-appeal-against-club-final-result/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Xander10

Commonsense prevails.

Best lesson would be for the GAA to update the method of substitution to avoid it happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭howiya

And possibly the rulebook and how it's applied

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Glen 1 Kilmacud 0 GAA 0

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭1373

Kilmacud now the losers, made a mistake that could have had match taken off them and wouldn't admit to it .

Agree. Kilmacudian arrogance will now be the memory. Well played Glen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Gives the impression that rules were broken, with clear penalties in the rule book …but the GAA are ok with this, their own rule book being broken

A dangerous precedent, I wonder will we see more extra players being thrown on in tight situations given….big rewards and no recourse

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Shank Williams

I’m happy enough that it probably ruined their celebrations

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Bsharp

Strange way to look at it.

Kilmacud had nothing to admit to. They clearly felt the officials $hit the bed by the 4th official not following the correct substitution protocol and the ref compounded that mistake by restarting the match too quickly before Kilmacud could get their 2nd substituted player off.

Whether Kilmacud's position is right or wrong would have been determined at the appeal or ultimately at the dispute resolution authority but we'll never know now that Glen have pulled the plug on the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

And so say all of us.!! well said. Good Luck to Glen going forward.

The whole country will be cheering them on next year.

• Advertisement

It'll be a great quiz question in years to come. 'Who won an All Ireland with 17 men on the field?'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Bsharp

And possibly a Leaving Cert Maths question, but all your given to work it out is the referees match report.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It won't be talked about in a fortnight.

Kilmacud are All Ireland champions 2023, & that will be forever in the history books.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Kilmacud had plenty of time to get their player off the pitch, they were engaging in gamesmanship and time wasting. Glen did nothing wrong, it wasn’t them that won by cheating.

Makes a change from saying they would refuse to fulfill a replay if ultimately ordered to do so I suppose, which we all now know they never ever said.

It must be very frustrating to all those with anti Dublin / anti super club blah blah blah prejudices that Kilmacud didn't rise to any of the incessant baiting, kept their counsel, didn't play any PR games and just followed the process Glens objection kicked off to calmly put their viewpoint to the CCCC and they have ultimately prevailed.

Mess of a process but the right outcome.

How do we know this?

They seemed intent on going all the way in appealing. I don't doubt they would have taken the nuclear option a source from the club threatened, a well known PR pressure stunt by the way.

I'm anti-arrogance in sport tbh. Whether that comes from Monaghan or Dublin.

They have prevailed because Glens are the bigger club morally...no other reason. Kilmacud didn't have one care about the integrity of a win or the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

Hahaha gas, the same people on here saying it'll be remembered for the controversy and not kilmacuds win were saying if Glen were given the trophy that's all it will be remembered in the history books. Haha cry more.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭MattressRick

It won't be the lasting memory. Even now after just 2 weeks I'm over it. It was a thing that happens in every single gaa match every week, and the extra player didn't even touch the ball. Joe Brolly is talking like the extra player made a full length dive to save a certain goal.

I think if they replayed it and Glen won, it'd be actually tainted. They would need an asterisk on the roll of honour to explain it. It'll never be mentioned again when past winners are discussed in pubs, bar maybe up in Glen. Because there'll be another gaa shitshow at that particular time that'll be the topic of conversation.

• Advertisement

Kilmacud won with 17 men on the field and recieved no sanction for that. I'll remember it and every Kilmacud player will looking at their medals despite what you say.

And yes, I think Glen would feel as you say, they acted as only they could...for the integrity of the game itself and for that they are the moral winners here.

Advertisement