Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China’s Army posts “Preparing for war!”

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

China the author of it's own humiliation here.

Had they just given a small public rebuke they wouldn't look as so silly right now.

They've even united Dems and a chunk of Republicans

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The only people who really could get involved is the US - unlikely theyll have the appetite for it. More than likely theyd try and supply the Taiwanese if it came to it, but much harder to get weapons into a blockaded island than through a land border like Ukraine.

It's also harder for China to get goods out if the world decides to roll out some sanctions. They are not quite in recession territory yet but would get there very fast if they were sanctioned. That's 1bn unhappy people. There is also that Zero-COVID nonsense they are grappling with and that small matter of Xi trying to become leader for life.

On balance lots of ships and planes cruising up and down the South China Sea and oodles of loud condemnation of the Western provocation will be about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

A likely US course of action in the event of hostilities is to mine and blockade Chinese ports. They're entirely dependent currently on naval imports to maintain their economy. Hence the efforts with the Belt and Road initiative to mitigate that.

If China do act more aggressively than feared and provoke the US into a full blown war between the two countries, it will be interesting to see if Russia and North Korea, Chinas staunchest allies support China. Will Russia sacrifice their war efforts in Ukraine to support the CCP? Will North Korea go full nuke?

An awful lot in the event of war will be laid on the shoulders of the US, can they be the wests beacon and saviour. Will other western countries join the US?

What is likely to happen immediately is the increased likelihood of a Chinese invasion of Taiwan in the very short term. If that happened what would Joe Biden do?

All in all I’m getting zilch enjoyment in watching events in the Taiwan strait with the fear that any miscalculation could lead to a catastrophic WWIII and a possible nuclear one at that.

Thread title hasn't lived up to expectations.

I want my money back 😡

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,872 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Yeah - Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Egypt, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan - countless horrid civilian deaths.

Could do with more napalm dumped on the heads of children alright. Go USA!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

I see warmongering **** Pelosi has visited Taiwan - that's the democrats for you - warmongerers.

But hey, at least they don't tweet mean hurty feeling things right ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,872 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What has she said to monger a war, really.

Where's all the anger coming from.

The action !!

This is bloody dangerous, it's provoking China and the world doesn not need that right now!

Thats why I'm angry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

She's actually quite courageous, we should be glad that she is there to stand up for democracy. She has balls. That's how autocracy works, it's starts with small coercion as they strip away your rights and freedoms bit by bit until you are under the boot. She has basically told them they can get f***ed and rightly so

But you can't even explain why it's war mongering....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So..... Sit back and just give the class bully what he wants.

China has been provoking the world for years now. Fcuk them.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

I agree with you in principle about China, but this is not the way, just like provoking Putin into nuclear conflict is not the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deub

I don’t get it. We have very little information of what’s happening behind these actions. Both countries have information about each other (and a lot) so they do things for a reason. Trying to understand it, is pointless. There is no point getting angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

The Chinese plan to conduct a military-style blockade drill around Taiwan starting on Thursday. There are six potential flashpoints here, some of them very close to the Taiwan coast . 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

The only people who are going to get fcuk'd here are Taiwan - the amount of people in this thread know this and still support it. Bizarre.

I'm sure all the displaced Ukrainians are delighted with the NATO bases and US rhetoric now.

But the other way hasnt worked. Giving China technology, economic upgrades, access to international trade markets, etc. Giving them western services and operations has not given any increase in political and social liberty for Chinese citizens, nor has it softened the CCP. The softly softly diplomacy effort has not worked. And its been played for quite a while now. Even Nixon really got the ball rolling there.

It seems that the only language the current Beijing government understands is strength. Anything else is seen as weakness and ripe for plunder. I dont like this course of action, but honestly everything else has failed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Then why doesn't she stand up for democracy in her own country which is not a democracy, but is in reality an Oligarchy.

Pelosi's Asian trip is all about drumming up business for American arms oligarch's and trying to create problems for a competitor .... cares about the Taiwanese my Ass 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

We all seem to forget China needs the west. Who else will buy their crap. If the west comes down hard on any incrussion into Taiwan then millions lose their jobs in china. The government would not be able to contain the decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I find it strange that a woman not much younger than my granny could technically spark a war. Its mad when you really think about it. She looks like she's being held up by strings.

Should we really be trusting the cognitive ability of someone in their eighties?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Was it so vital to go Taiwan , whilst a war rages in the East , keeping China on side I would have thought would have been advantageos - but what would I know I'm just a humble citizen , whilst elites like Pelosi rule the world - I really thought the world would be a more peaceful place after Bidens victory , America should try to fix many of ther own home grown problems , rather than fixing the world, isnt that why they left Afghanistan so quickly last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Bizarre, America is not a democracy? Then why do they vote for local and federal representatives?

Could say the same about youth.

It was Gavrilo Princip who lit the spark that started WW1 and he was only 19.

A 'Rebel Pepper' cartoon from about a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭rogber

Young people and old people ruin everything! The world should be run by dull middle aged people for more peace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

China completely humiliated by Pelosi. They don't react and they are just NK with an economy, full of sh1t talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Yep, Xi once again looks the fool and can’t do anything short of a ridiculous escalation. The reason the US took the risk is because they don’t want another 15 years of Xi, which is what we are getting if he wins the leadership in November. This has to embolden the many enemies of Xi in the CCP. Li Keqiang winning in November would see a major deescalation in hostilities between China and the West, the end of zero covid and a return to Hu Jintao style economics first politics.

Advertisement