Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands heatwave media coverage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sounds like some of the guff you'd read on the Daily Mail.

It's already been raining for the last 2 hrs up here in North Donegal. It was a warm day ok, but looking out the window now, there is no sign of any impending heat dome.

Yeh, Donegal was never at the races. But this is a major event for much of Northern Europe and local records are likely to topple even in Ireland. London will be practically unlivable.

Always find big cities feel much worse in high temps.

Have been in Rome and London before during very hot periods, and they are very uncomfortable. Probably the lack of a breeze, plus when you have all those millions of folk, cars, factories, etc, it all adds up. 40c in London would be a lot worse than 40c at the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Raining here in South tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Denny61

Who is exactly making up the weather forecast. Dull here in tipperary for Past two hours. Now it's raining plus temperature today was easy surpassed a few weeks ago by warmer weather. And now they telling us something big on the way..stay indoors...albeit its only 29 to 30 for two Days. Then be lucky to get 18 to 20degreess from Wed on .. foreigners here are laughing at us ...and our over the top panic...I blame it on the covid or the vaccine. Its messing with our brain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Agree sir, everything is a crisis or the end of the world.

I went out at walk at 3pm, in shorts and a t-shirt. Nice and warm.

Came back an hour later in the rain. Soaked.

Kinda sums up irish summer weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭cal naughton

Rte news MD Jon Williams had to apologize last year and send staff on a training course for not linking a few day's of a heatwave to climate change. So the pressure from the usual climate alarmists will ramp up the hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

We had one of the worst Junes I can remember. I didn't sit on the garden bench once, or have reason to wear sorts or a t-shirt outdoors. If bad weather is a result of CC then why didn't the media say the bad weather we had in June is a result of CC. Because it's not as easy to scaremonger about CC over rain and wind, not in Ireland anyway.

The scaremongering that is been going on is quite disgusting. We've had the best part of a weeks coverage of a heatwave that hasn't even happened. They've been talking about the heatwave in Spain, but everyone knows Spain always get's temps over 35+ in their summers. I'm not in the slightest bit concerned about 35 to 40 degree temps that won't last half a week anyway. I've experienced those temps living in a foreign country but a lot of older Irish people haven't and are being scaremongered by they media that they might die. I really hope the temps don't get as high as predicted because if they don't it would be a great opportunity to further bash the media over this scaremongering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You really like making a laugh of things rather than actually discuss, I know. I'm not a climate change denier but the fact remains that three days of above normal temperatures is not a sign of climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭sporina

i bought a fan.. but not taken it out of the box yet.,.. and I have my receipt..

I wonder if I will need it at all

It'll take some heat tomorrow and Monday to dry out all the rain that's been lashing down here the last 2 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

You should educate yourself on climate change and fast.

The temperatures will be in the 30s in parts. Possible records broken. Admittedly it’s short, but intense. Also 29 is pretty high for Ireland.

Of course the record temperatures in Europe are worth talking about, as are the potentials for record temperatures in the U.K. and even Ireland. Local and daily records will be broken in Ireland. The overall record is 100+ years old.

as for today. It wasn’t predicted to be that hot.

Yeah, but the record high temperature in Ireland goes back to the late 1800's. So what was the reason for the high temps back then, when there was flip all industrialization.

It was an anomaly. In most of Europe records will be broken in the next few days, in the U.K. they expect all time records to be broken on Monday, and those records broken again Tuesday. Records in the U.K. go back centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Records are made the broken ☺️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Close the schools

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Facts are the planet has changed time and time again in its history.

The Sahara was once green!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

They must all have gone to Santa Ponsa en masse, it's the real reason for all the airport queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Since covid everything has been catastrophized by the media

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The Irish media is a total state. Just today we have them catastrophising over a couple of days of hot weather and embarrassing themselves with their over the top reaction to the rugby team winning a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Look up California extreme drought forest fires trees that are 100 years old are under threat some states are running out of water in America due to low river levels the point is we are having record breaking high temps in Europe forest fires in France this is not normal average weather

city's retain heat due to buildings concrete lack of trees shade the uk is not designed for this most buildings have zero air con crop yields are falling in Italy due to extreme heat

Yes Irish people like hot weather but when it results in lack of water or dangerous temps it's not a good thing I believe we are in the midst of climate change it'll get worse every year unless governments take drastic action to switch to more green sources of power

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

We might get better summers hopefully anyway, every cloud has a silver lining.

alot more concrete around now than in 1887, same for everywhere else. Not great for places where 40c+ is within natural variability.

I experienced this extreme example in Australia once https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/jan/24/australia-heatwave-adelaide-breaks-its-all-time-heat-record-hitting-466c

Adelaide has a v. dry climate. They have desalination plants. So to conserve water the planning policy has been to build houses with 'low maintenance gardens'. I.e fake grass/no grass/tiny patches of grass and few/or trees. This resulted in concrete and steel roofs across all the expanded surburbia (they do steel roofs there alot). Here is an example https://www.google.com/maps/@-34.6672069,138.682943,142m/data=!3m1!1e3

So when you hear about high temps and records being broken in places you really have to consider the scale of local environmental changes too. Of course these are man made changes. But I would wager that these man made changes have a more immediate and larger impact on local temperatures than Co2.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-09/how-to-cool-down-your-capital-city-amid-rising-temperatures/11779722

This can also be applied to floods (building on flood plains) etc.

Worth pointing out that in 1851 a fire burned through 25% of the Australian state of Victoria

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Thankfully the rainbow flag media bandwagon has rolled on, until next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There is very little mention of ice core samples in the climate change discussion only records from the last couple of hundred years

Advertisement