Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands heatwave media coverage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

The ozone layer hole was real…. Driven by CFCs in the atmosphere…. 20 yrs of tight regulations and the ozone layer recovered

some amount of morons on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Every Irish mother as their child is walking out the door with no coat on, put your coat on or you'll catch pneumonia

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Do you realise there was an international push to limit the human effects which were a cause of the hole? And as a result, despite it still appearing annually, humanity has managed to start reversing the affects we had on it.

It's the same stupid argument people make when complaining that the world didn't end at Y2K.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They refuse to acknowledge that a slight rise in temperatures has massive advantages to a country like our own.

It can increase the diversity of fruit & veg that we can grow. It gets people out and about being healthier.

A rise in a sea levels (which hasn't materialised at all) can be defended against with dredging, flood protection (apart from Clontarf obvs, who don't want it).

Increased levels of flooding, wildfires etc? These happen in every country in the world. They deal with them. We are not going up to South Spain, Italy, Greece type of temperatures. And even if we did, they lead perfectly normal lives in these countries.

If you live in an extreme weather part of the world, Sudan, Bangladesh, Siberia, unlucky. But Ireland has literally nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Lol, wild fires, they deal with them? Now that's a unique take on them.

"Ireland has literally nothing to worry about". Hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

See my post above about 1975 and 1976. I worked seasonal with Bord Na Mona those two Summers, out in the open bog at peat production 10 hours per day Mon.to Sat. and 8 hours on Sunday. No climate buzzwords back then.

Ten years later in 1985 and 86 we had in my opinion the worst two Summers in my lifetime when we had rain at some time almost every day during June, July, August and start of September. In August 1986 we had Hurricane Charley which gave us torrential rain, wind and thunderstorms that started in the evening and lasted all night. No climate change buzzwords back then.

And what does that even mean? You worked in a bog and it was sunny, then there was a wet summer. whoop de fkin do you’re hard.

It means that in 1975 and 76 there were weeks of hot weather just like today and there was no climate change scaremongering and ten years later we had very bad Summer weather but the was no scaremongering then either. Now if we get get two days of either we have the doom and gloom of " climate change" rammed down our throats.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,153 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Bullshyte.

You sound like that deluded fool Trump.

Yes not allowing some fires and controlled burns results in build up of combustible material over time, but the fire seasons in the likes of US and Canada is even longer by months than it used to be, likewise with Australia and that has to do with a change in climate.

Why not check out how the pine beetles are decimating forests in Canada simply because there aren't cold enough winters to control their population.

Oh and dry lightening is a major cause of bush fires in Canada.

Or are you now going to tell me the British Columbia Wildfire Service manager that gave me a tour of one of their facilities was lying?

Forest and bush fires are happening more regularly, earlier and for longer simply because the weather allows it.

There are an awful lot of climate change denying eejits posting here when it is as plain as the nose on your face that our climate has and is changing.

How many frosty days or snow falls do we get over the last number of winters?

Yeah we had one real freak blizzard where an Atlantic storm met a Siberian cold front and we got deluged, but look year on year and we just get very wet and windy winters now, no real frost or snow.

And speaking of storms, growing up we only had a few major storms in 70s and 80s, Hurricane charlie being the most famous I suppose.

Now we have multiple severe storms a year.

And when you go global you see El Nino occurring way more regularly, you see decades of droughts in Australia, South Western US, etc.

You have larger and more numerous hurricanes.

You see ice sheets and glaciers shrinking both in Northern and South Hemispheres.

So weather patterns and climate has and is changing.

And before anyone accuses me of being just another whiny green, just read my posters about those bunch of fooking flutes. 🤬

Well I can't remember that many scorching summers in the 80s over in the West.

There were a couple of decent summers in 70s and 80s, but that was about it.

I can remember watching days and days of pi**ing rain as we tried to save crops.

And as for topic of our media, they are a bunch of clowns these days.

I now expect any report by RTE to include the following makeup to tick all the inclusivity boxes: someone trans, someone gay preferably in drag, someone black, someone disabled and one of the usual environmentalist "experts" from some college or other.

Are you worried?

Imagine an Ireland where the summer had regularly 5-10 days of 25-30 degree a year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Im sorry you’re scared. Back in the 40s I smoked 40 per day for years and there was no scaremongering about lung cancer…we coughed and got on with it…No we get scaremongering about cancer rammed down our throats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

They'll be back next week when it's wet and windy telling us it climate change and how we must feel guilty. You'd be blue in the face with them at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

We were in Majorca last month for 2 weeks

Day time max 33c

Night time low 24c

No one talks about the weather over there except tourists. Why would they?..those temps and higher are a way of life.

The reason why some wet their underwear about it over here is because the average weather here is cold and grey.

Even in the UK(where I come from) the weather is "better" . Colder winters but warmer Summers due to less cloud cover.

The highest temp recorded was 33.3c in 1887 yes 137 years ago..that tells you all you need to know about the Irish climate...anyone alive today is unlikely to see temps above 30c in their lifetime again in Ireland

It also begs the question in 1887 where was the climate change that caused 33.3c

"The class of 2022....wear Sunscreen" 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Have to say so far, that if I didn't hear all the media coverage of this then I wouldn't think anything odd or different about today's weather. a nice hot day yes but yesterday was just as warm imo

It’s over 30c in a number of places today, last summer was the same. The North broke their record last summer 31.3c. Wales just broke their highest temperature ever recorded and England is expected to breach over 40c for the first time since records began today or tomorrow(maybe both)which is unprecedented. But sure what do facts matter

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭harmless

Yes the weather has been perfect today, nice and warm but with a refreshing cool breeze.

We really are blessed to live in a country without extreme weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

I'm not sure of your point,are you agreeing with me or not 😀

My facts are correct in warmer counties the locals are not preoccupied with the weather

UK does have "better" weather than Ireland

in this country you can go decades without having the temps we are getting now, that is why it is big news (to some) and all they can talk about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Beautiful day here, sunny, warm and a light breeze. If only it would last.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Cloudy and raining now in the east Midlands. We need a warning of some sort for this, we'll all be flooded out of it shortly. DOOMED!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Just came across this on Reddit, gave me a chuckle - this thread sprung to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

It’s bleeding roasting in blanch, pants have melted off me

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

This is all the Global Warming Cult members falling all over each other hoping that we'll forget it has been pretty cold overall with no rise in sea level since RTE welfare whack job Cunningham published his farcical Ireland's Burning tome in which Dublin and Cork were to be under water by now and the Midlands a parched desert and with the rustics of Carlow picking oranges and apricots from their gardens.

It'll be freezing cold and **** again in a few days and so like all cults it is a bit like a light in the sky is the Flying Saucer the Space Brothers are definitely coming. Gotta grab and hold on to their articles of faith when they fleetingly manifest.

Post edited by MyLove4Satan on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

"We coughed an got on with it."

Just like King George VI.

Developed lung cancer in his 40s and arteriosclerosis. Had an entire lung removed at 55, dead at 56. Cancer in the old days was a breeze....

Listen lads, anthropomorphic climate change is real, its here and we ought be thanking our lucky stars that we are a little island moderated by the ocean, because in huge chunks of the World, its killing people, by taking away their food, their water, their clean air, their ways of making a living, their health and ultimately their lives.

In other words, cop the **** on.

Protect the *insert 'conspiracy theory' guffaw* WEF GREAT RESET *remove 'conspiracy theory' guffaw* at any cost is the mantra of the Irish Establishment.

because the same globalist animals unleashing hell on Dutch farmers will be coming for Irish farmers next.

and RTE and the Irish Establishment do not want anyone figuring that one out.

People need government and media reminders to stay hydrated in warm weather.

When it gets over 30 degrees it's not very pleasant. I can imagine human beings after 100,000 years can work out when it's too hot or too cold at this stage, instead of needing constant government/media reminders to keep cool or keep warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

They are paid to push the climate fear mongering to justify the unjust carbon taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Just saw this in an RTE article just now...

The highest temperature ever reported in Ireland was 33.3C at Kilkenny Castle in 1887. Met Éireann says this record stands but some have called in recent years for it be reassessed.

When your agenda needs a new record temperature, what do you do? Try and re-write history!

How come it's only now people are supposedly wanting it to be re-assessed? It's been the record for the last 125 years!

Advertisement