Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands heatwave media coverage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

It doesn’t suit the narrative but at the rate they are going he won’t have far to travel to cover farmers protests.

Surely you know by now that it’s all about wealth transfer and that the climate is just a scapegoat for the plan.

Thing is the temperatures are empirically rising and this is a very rare event. Not just for Ireland. So something is up.

Can you imagine why people interested in weather would be posting on a weather forum during a historic weather event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭quokula

I see the usual reality-denying comments and comparisons to 1976 cropping up.

Almost as good as the plank on newstalk saying that Russia would let off a nuclear bomb in the ocean and would cause a wave so high that it would cover Ireland and the U.K, the sad part is that some people believe the shite they come out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,153 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Oh FFS.

I thought the Irish would have copped to fook on after the property bubble that we are not fooking unique, that we are not immune to the greater world.

Cork has had flooding for decades getting worse actually, and how long has it taken them to build flood defenses.

And that is not even taking into account areas in Limerick, Gort, Clonmel, etc, etc.

And where do you think the people in all the areas (Bangladesh, Maldives, Eastern US,etc) that would flood if sea levels were to rise a few feet going to go, that type of population migration would have no effects on the rest of the world ???

Florida and a huge chunk of US East Coast is low level and the US having to build defenses or move cities isn't going to affect the rest of the world.

FFS

Desertification is rising drastically both due to continous droughts, and poor land management and you reckon that will have no effect on the wider world?

We haven't a pot to pi** in without the outside world.

Most of our taxes are thanks to multinationals siting here, if their markets collapse they cut back.

And you speak about growing fruit and veg, but you haven't thought much through because if we lose a lot of our rainfall, get more severe dry summers, colder winters due to Gulf Stream varying then there goes our grass which supports our current agriculture.

Parts of Britain will have temps of over 37 degrees.

Aberdeenshire has over 30 degrees. Scotland is experiencing French weather.

Yes we always had freak occurrences, but they are getting freaker and more common, and that is what should worry people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Raining now in Dublin 14 on the hottest day eva.... Must be climate change huh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

33 degrees in the Phoenix park today, hottest day since santy was a nipper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

All the world ending talk of global warming, meanwhile vast areas of the planet are uninhabited because its too cold to live there... Do people think all these places will spontaneously combust as soon as the snow clears?

The whole green agenda is a load of waffle. If governments were serious about global warming they would be investing in nuclear technologies, especially to replace coal powerplants and bunker oil burning ships. Instead of getting everyone to buy expensive new cars they would be restricting new car sales and providing grants to retrofitting older cars with electric motors and the big one, incentivising people to have fewer kids.... but none of that would win elections would it?

We live in Ireland, we are very lucky for that as we are shielded from the worst weather events. Unless human nature does a 180 and we stop acting like vermin as a species then we are fucked, whether it be global warming, the soil giving up because of over farming or a finger pressing the nuclear button. Enjoy the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Almost a half century has passed since then, along with scientific advances and decades of data. 9 out of the hottest 10 days in the UK anyway have been since the 90s. The other 1 wasn't from the 70s.

You probably still argue that your doctors recommend 10 a day and cancer is scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Ciara Kelly getting hammered on Twitter for expressing many of the views here about over safetyism in Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Scotland is experiencing France weather. They so may be able to grow grapes for wine soon enough. Fantastic. Maybe we may even have a wine industry. We can basically become like what Belgium is.

For the other future non inhabitable parts of the world, I couldn't give 2 shites about them.

But as said before, things like sea level predictions haven't seem thave materialised.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

you can literally hear the disappointment in rte reporters voices. that it wasn't hotter.

2 hot days is now a weather "event"

irish water are monitoring water supplies in letterkenny it was bucketing down half of last week - any excuse.

honestly it's pretty pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Well you have to laugh at RTE's Six One coverage at the minute.

A presenter outdoors looking as cool as a cumber.

She said "Ireland was suffering from a mini-heatwave".

First of all who is 'suffering' and there'e no such thing as a mini heatwave just like there's no such think as a mini pregnancy.

And by the way in respect of some of the comments earlier, this thread isn't about climate change per se, it's about Ireland's hysterical coverage of a number of days of hot weather, in mid July.

"All times record will be broken"

They only start recording in the last two centurys, weather has existed for millions of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Where are the people who live in the non inhabitable places going to move to ? And where will the food and water required to feed people come from ?

Think about it a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭BrianD3

RTE are hilarious - you can sense that they were primed for the record being broken, preferably in the Midlands where Sharon (looking sexy in her orange pants) was sent.

Record not broken so they switched to talking about it being the hottest temperature in the 20th and 21st centuries

Bring on a professor from Maynooth who is waxing lyrical about the 135 year old record being.....challenged.

Throw in stuff that is happening in other countries. Stoke up the fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭trashcan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

RTE just copy what everybody else does. Any originality is stamped out in case someone gets offended. Plus I think their news reporters don't investigate the real problems "down the country" as they don't have the budget, are too lazy or would be seen as breaking woke rules. I'm not sure what their rural reporters do actually apart from weather reports and the odd "nice" aren't we a great little country all the same story.

Terese Mannion did more serious investigative work when she did Bosco.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Who is suffering the ill, the elderly, the very young and pets.

It is very hot and yes I agree they should not mention the CC word while advising people as people ( myself inccluded) will just turn off people do need to be careful and those I mentioned need to take care and looked in on. Dehydration and heatstroke can happen. Have had both I never want them again one of the worst things I had and I was a healthy 26 & 27 year old at the time (happened different years) and stupid going look the sun I will be fine and there are plenty younger and older going around these days. Remember tea coffee alcohol some energy drinks are diuretics so you lose it quickly so drink plenty of water.

You want to dismiss the climate change stuff then yes go ahead but don't dismiss the dangers of very hot weather due to it

• Registered Users Posts: 6 thecrazybeyondyou

Could there be a medical link between rising world temperatures and the rising levels of malcontent vitriol that climate sceptics mouth off at school teachers and social reformers? if so could dealing promptly with the climate crisis help ease their imbalanced emotional states?

It’s almost like they’re proud at how thick they are. The stupider the better. Big chip on their shoulders grunting away. I honestly think they get a hard on crying about RTE, you’d think they’d stop watching it if it bothered them so much but they love it, it’s a pastime so they have something to complain about. Biggest waste of time bothering your hole with them when they don’t have a fkin clue and never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

FFS, talk about ignorance. So in your simplified version of climate change everyone moves to Greenland?

How will that work in practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 thecrazybeyondyou

regarding the above comment by washman3

2016 and 2020 are tied for being the hottest years since 1880. furthermore, the debate on global warming can be dated back to 1856 when Eunice Foote published a study suggesting increased use of co2 could lead to rising temperatures in the last century (so you are, in fact, over a hundred years out). While I do not wish to unduly brow-beat you for not reading around the issues you are moved to pontificate about, At your ripe old age you should at least have a handle on who is scamming who.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Seems like a lot of people frustrated/disappointed that higher temperatures were not reached today. Same people as who tell us global warming is going to kill us…?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

What sort of tripe is that? We are humans, we migrate all the time. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say moving to northern Europe, Siberia or Canada would be a lot easier in practice than let say, populating the Americas or Australia from scratch before engines or electricity existed....

Did you skip history in school or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

The media most notably RTE have gone mad on these extra temperatures to the norm that will no doubt be used to bolster the whole climate change did they forget about the summer drought of 2018 and the beast from the east all within a 6 month period 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Feel bad for anybody still watching RTE, because having to exist in two actual days of summer weather is the very least of your problems.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Advertisement