Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands heatwave media coverage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Registered Users Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Still a bit to go to beat 33.3 degrees in 1887.

140 years ago.

Forgive me for being sceptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Eamon Ryan allowed air time again today on RTE to say the Earth is burning up. I have never seen or heard Eamon Ryan or anyone else challenged on TV or Radio to show proof of how all the fires that they keep showing started. Until I see or hear otherwise, I believe it is arson.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I cannot prove if this is true, but I read an article online last year that a father and son were arrested in California for starting a massive wildfire that caused huge destruction.

When it comes to climate change, I'm more inclined to believe a climate scientist than DecoYNWA92 on Twitter, but the style of reporting on this period from a Sunday to a Tuesday is not rational. I don't like the heat/strong sun and stayed in today until the sun started to go down, with the exception of going outside for something briefly in the afternoon - and it really wasn't that astoundingly hot to me. It was warm obviously, but nothing like I'd expected.

I remember 1989 - there was literally a drought. Then 1995 was a scorcher for ages. As was 2006, when a similarly high temperature was recorded in Kilkenny.

And this is three days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Travelling back from west today and got out of the car at Hudson Bay near Athlone. Definitely the hottest most intense heat I've ever felt in this country in my lifetime. Reminded me of being back in Oz summer a few years ago.

Was different further west where it was warm but there was a strong breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

The bit they wont go on about it that's the problem with large cities tarmac stone concrete keeping the heat in takes ages to go away. That's nothing to do with climate change. If you were in a mud hut in these temperatures you would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,667 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The media should give lessons on how to use air conditioning in a car, I'd say less than 20% of people understand how it works or even if their €145k Range Rover has it.

Perhaps it needs to be part of the driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It's not just Ireland , record breaking high temps across Europe, fires in Spain, France, yes I remember we had some hot summers in the 70s,80s, but I don't remember serious forest fires accuring in one week. I think politican s may not want to talk about this, as it effects jobs, agriculture, where people build, in Texas they are asking people to conserve energy, more heat equals people using more air con which makes the streets outside hotter. Basically in Texas you have to stay inside turn on air con to stay cool during the summer . Meanwhile the amount of water avaidable in California and other states is falling as river levels drop. Dams need a certain level of water to work properly

Irish city's are not designed for weeks of high temps we need more trees and shade

If you think this is normal weather you don't read much on climate change news or weather trends around the world

I cycle everyday I remember it would usually rain at least once a week now it seems to rain less often than say 3 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I remember it like it was yesterday.....George Lee was doom mongering then aswell....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yep we were there as well, that breeze was unbelievable.

I know you expect to get sandy at beach but never was it as bad as yesterday due to that wind.

I banned everyone from going indoors until we had our showers one by one🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭appledrop

What I hate the most about the Irish Media and Met Eireann is the total over reaction to heat.

If you listened to them when the rare good weather comes to Ireland you would lock yourself away indoors, pull down all blinds and what maybe watch a movie?

God forbid how do people on continent survive in summer.

I've a 5mth old and survived a week in Lanzorate safely, I can survive a day of heatwave in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's just indicative of the way Irish media has gone. It's now all about clicks and catastrophising everything. God forbid people might take a bit of enjoyment out of 2 days of a bit of warmth. There's literally nothing the media won't wag a finger about in this country. Overall it's best to ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭StevenToast

RTE wont let you enjoy a few days of summer without making you feel guilty.....CLIMATE CHANGE!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Went to the beach yesterday and there was a bunch of teens/young adults who left the place in an awful state, cans and food packaging strewn around that they didn't bother picking up. Plenty of young people don't give two hoots about the environment or their impact on it. Must be nice for you to blame the "middle aged" though. 👍

The forest fires are a result of green policy, not managing the growth, allowing the tinder to accumulate. They also are not usually spontaneous

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

But but, they had a 'climate protest' and saved the world by not going to school, right??

Beach near me and teen hangouts are regularly littered with cans, bottles, wrappings and judging by the labels sure as sugar it isn't the 'boomeratti' at it. I don't see any generation actually covering themselves in glory, just the young 'uns got disproportionate media fawning going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

On Killiney beach yesterday it was chilly, the breeze was really strong.. then in a beer garden same again, with plenty of cloud.

Today seems far better though, no cloud or breeze, but it's not melting the roads and I don't see people falling to the floor ablaze... either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

A bunch of drunk children? Yeah I would hope you’d set a higher bar for your own behaviour, perhaps not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Half a can is a drunk child and there is that issue of gangs of teens descending on some Dublin beaches. Overall the behaviour of people not taking stuff home is appalling, but not wholly age specific. Kids learn this stuff from their elders.

As for the topic the coverage is all a bit OTT here. 40C is potentially dangerous but some huge drama in the UK over that. 30C is really not a horrendous temperature and the precautions people take for 20C should suffice.

Who said they were children? Or are you one of those who infantilises 18 and 19 year olds? You also completely missed the point.....deliberately no doubt. 👍

It's also only 2 days. The media are a joke in this country. They absolutely love to make a meal of everything and wag the finger at anybody who dares enjoy themselves.

I see archive footage of the summer of 1976 popping up on RTE. One would assume that many people survived that long hot summer, very typically without even sunscreen.

Like wind and rain, the colour warning systems tend to shape the weather message far too dramatically and the media just lap it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yep, my neighbour was driving around with the windows down and the air-con on, i had to explain to him to have the windows closed and outer air circulation set to off😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You typically don't drop dead from skin cancer straight away.

No and maybe not at all but nor does a summer out and about in the sun unprotected do it either. There are far too many warnings these days where common sense suffices. That such common sense is absent suggests a level of learned helplessness, actively encouraged by these types of warnings. Most people have twigged this is just a couple of days of hot stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

What a day for the recent Dublin airport refugees to be put in tents in gormanstown. 16 per tent I’m told…. Gormanstown is our Rwanda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Ireland is a miserable dank kip the majority of the year and when we get some lovely weather for a couple of days we get all these red warnings about how "dangerous" it is, it would make you sick. Just let people enjoy themselves for the love of christ.

Advertisement