Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands heatwave media coverage

Options
  • 16-07-2022 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

So the heatwave in Ireland is really just one day - Monday when temperatures will get towards 32c…

Tuesday and Wednesday look like wet and thunder showers

32c is hot for sure and but surely we can manage one day

is the radio and tv coverage totally over the top ?

is one day now a heatwave ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

It's just a warm summer period for christ sake but i think the media like to run with it to create fear about the climate.

I'm 49 years of age and i can remember long hot periods of sunshine during the summer back in the 80's that went on for weeks without the media constantly attempting to make us feel guilty about it.

It's too hot = climate change

It's too cold = climate change

It's too windy = climate change

It's snowing = climate change

They need to give it a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It'll be the hottest summer on record...for a couple of days. This doesn't equate to climate change in my book. The UK media are every bit a bad .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yes, yes it is, as oppose to our normal one day of summer, just this year, it happens to be a heatwave for that one day, so yippee....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I'm off for my annual celebratory sunshine pedal. This will be followed by a brief power nap and a few beers to unwind.

Climate change pedal and crank

• Registered Users Posts: 81,667 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's not the usual scanger drinking gatherings causing hassle this year at certain Dublin beaches, is it too hot for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

No. They're like the insects who can survive a nuclear exchange. They'll just get sunburned and the linden village starts kicking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Even if it's not "too" anything there is a constant feed of news about mildly unusual weather events from around the world to keep the fear going

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

The hyping by Irish media is out of order.The current weather is not a unique event.It's been happening for decades.It's called a good summer as far as we get good summers.As for the European mainland I've spent baking hot July and August in France and loved it long before climate change or global warming became media buzzwords.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Imagine is the temperature record was broken, George Lee would have a horn on him for a month spouting in about climate change.

• Advertisement
    M

And still no sign of him hitting the Netherlands to cover a real story about farming and climate change protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Why would he going to another country to cover something. Should every the economist journalist go to every country to follow that.

As in relation to the record temperature for 1 it is a bit over the top but people need to be careful and not go nuts sunburn or sunstroke is no joke. Also weather's been very good for the last while so hardly 1 day

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

compared to what the continent and UK have to put up with we're getting off lightly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

#StaySafe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

RTE are a disgrace with all their agendas. I commented previously that their presenters are wetting themselves to get to mention the two words "climate change" as many times as possible every day. Don't get me started about the yellow, orange, red weather warning crap.

Post edited by TheRiverman on

Exactly we have had great weather which is nice and great to be out in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I am looking forward to Anne O'Donnell giving us some weekend relief on Virgin Media News this evening. She really brightens up my weekend, regardless of the forecast. I can't wait to see her smiling cheekily as she wraps up the bulletin before the weather forecast. She's like the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,931 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The heatwave originally was forecasted to last many more days. That has changed, thankfully . Weather forecasts change.

Sunday, Monday and Tuesday will be mid to late ‘20’s.. very hot for sure but not a skin frying apocalypse..in the mid 30’s that some were forecasting going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think certain people getting all hyper over a bit of heat in July and a few storms in the Winter plays a part in why climate change isn't taken seriously buy people!

M

He's not the economist journalist in RTE since he left took a career break to join Fine Gael in 2009, he is Environment Correspondent for RTE since he returned, the issues in Netherlands concern actions taken by the government on farmers there to control 'climate change' which would fall in to the topic of Environment. The events there are being whitewashed by the media here and not covered.

RTE sent Fergal Bowers, (their health journalist) and a camera crew to Alicante last week to cover an Irish person having such an everyday procedure as a hip replacement for circa 1 minute of an interview, absolutely no need to be covered...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

This is the outsourcing of part of our Health Service to a private hospital in Spain, of course it should be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

I’ll genuinely be surprised if temperatures reach 30°C on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,870 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Prepare to to genuinely surprised.

As we speak, its 25C widely. The next two nights will be average 15 tonight and average 17 Sunday night, so the heat build will be considerable before the South Easterly flow even beds in late tomorrow.

Temps WILL exceed 30 on Monday and WILL exceed it on Tuesday too. The question is by how much. 32 is likely, but will it exceed the all time record of 33.3, harder to say. If these conditions were to persist for longer than forecast, say to Thursday or Friday, I'd bet the house on it going, but two days may not be enough.

I'm looking for a high of maybe 32 in Oak Park, Carlow; Dunsany in Meath or at Mullingar.

This is clearly an unusual event across Europe given that records are going to fall.

Well we’ll see, Temp dropping now in most parts as cloud cover moves in.

I did mean to say he was the economist it was meant to be a separate point as should an economist journalist go everywhere for everthing in relation to it.

In relation to the Bowers you do realise it was about a hospital opening for Irish patients on a waiting so of course they sent someone. (Did you even read the story)

Why should RTE sent someone in relation to protests. Do they send some for every protests. Because it farmers because its environment. There will likely be a Ryanair strike by some unions in Spain next week do we send someone to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

More like the quality of the contributions on this thread

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Yes, I see that on the map, you might be lucky and escape the showers.

That’s disappointing, how do you manage to bbq indoors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭gw80

Yep, some guy on today fm yesterday talking about a "heat dome" building and it will be like a self feeding furnace that could settle over the country for a few weeks,

Such horse ****.

Advertisement