Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker Season 2022/23

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Classless as usual?? That’s a mad thing to say. He’s generally a decent skin.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Good auld battle here between Judd & Ali looks like it will go the distance all square at 4-4

And Carter goes through in the final frame decider Tense and Nervy final frame with mistakes from both players.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Any other link to that Murphy interview? That one on twitter won't work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

He's clarified his comments over on Instagram.

I'm no Murphy fan, but I kinda see what he's getting at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Not a good day at the office (media wise at least)

He's let himself down there, truth be told. Jill always comes across as a nice woman and this looked terrible.

Anyway, move on

No fan of Murphy but that wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Genghis

Looks like Shaun was trying to make a general point about journalists not really examining key moments in a game, but was totally unaware that it would appear to be directed at Jill alone.

Probably comes from commentators like Dennis Taylor or Ken who very often say something like lapse of concentration, a bit of adrenaline, nerves etc instead of calling out a bad shot, or examine why it's bad. Foulds or Hendry much better at criticising an error.

Definitely not a good look for Shaun but I do think he has a point even if should have made it less directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Murphy is a gobshite but I’ve no problems with that interview. Interesting to hear an alternative explanation to the usual “lost his concentration”. It doesn’t come across like he’s responding directly to the interviewer, it’s understood he’s responding to pundits who repeat that same comment.

What I found funny was after spending two minutes explaining why misses occur, Ken asks “so Sean, what do you put it down to?” 🙄😆

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Ken's a former world champion, he presumably knows what he's talking about. SM's right in the sense that there are a lot of reasons why a player can miss a shot - nerves, a misjudgement of angles or cue placement, or the characteristics of the table. But sometimes it probably is because they're thinking of the next shot or dwelling on cueball position at the expense of making the pot and that's "loss of concentration". Nobody can concentrate 100% all the time. Maybe it is lazy commentary but it's ridiculous to say it never happens. Anyway, it was an interesting discussion.

Agreed.

I just think he was in a bad mood and went off into a rant, he seems to not be happy with not knowing the timing of his match. ITV might have had a part in the scheduling here and this might have been a factor.

Anyway, the game has bigger issues to deal with at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if someone was feeling mischievous they could trawl Murphy's commentaries to find an example of him citing "loss of concentration" after a miss 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Not really sure on the point he was making on technical reasons for errors

You can put most of it down to focus or concentration anyhow

I’ll never understand the hatred Murphy gets. Excellent player, decent fella on and off the table.

they/them/theirs

Aaand he’s on fire tonight. 3 centuries in the first 3 frames and now 5-0 up

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭weemcd

He really isn't a decent fella. Just look up his past history with other players ie the chalk incident with Maguire, cheating on his wife, claiming to be a Christian while being caught with prostitutes, his comments when the amateur beat him in the snooker while Murphy himself had played in a golf tournament as an amateur, his constant sniping at O'Sullivan, his utter inability to shut up in commentary. Murphy is a horrible person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Good contest between Carter and O’Connor here, 4-4 now. A real grind for both players, O’Connor did everything right but missed the pink for a respotted black!

Someone made a clatter just as carter drew his arm back

Never looks happy anyway

Hard luck Joe O'Connor. He played some great snooker tonight. But great comeback by Ali Carter.

Murphy vs Wilson in the other semi tomorrow night.

If it does end up a Carter Murphy final I think I'll be hoping for a Carter win.

• Advertisement

Murphy's good run of form continues as he reaches the final.

Should be a fair favourite to win against Carter.

Great start for Murphy. Hope he keeps it up.

they/them/theirs

The chalk thing was nothing to do with him, it was the ref applying the rules.

He was with one prostitute when his marriage was failing. A mistake he admits.

His comments about the amateur were band out of order. His comments about Ronnie are largely bang on, Ronnie is a pain in the hole.

I never watch snooker on bbc, so I don’t know how good a commentator is. But he can’t be worse than McManus.

they/them/theirs

Murphy walks through his own key shots when he comes on for his post match interviews the last few days.

It's an interesting development and maybe it will be rolled out wider as it makes the chat afterwards a lot more engaging than the usual cliche filled stuff, and it's something particularly suited to snooker coverage.

Hope ITV do a little bit of a tribute to Dickie Davies during the intervals.

He fronted a lot of snooker for them.

He talks well about the technical details of snooker. Compare it to the Ronnie masterclasses Eurosport used to have- “hit the ball into pocket, solid yeah”

they/them/theirs

McManus is one of the best commentators. Up there with Hendry and Foulds.

I politely disagree. But honestly I’d prefer to discuss snooker and the players than commentators.

Murphy is absolutely flying now.

they/them/theirs

The gambling blurb takes up more space on the screen then the table

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Well that's a first, never seen a frame won at such a low score, 46 - 8.

Advertisement