Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants refusing to leave even though we are homeless..HELP

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its "not so popular" as its illegal. I appreciate the mod warning telling people to stop suggesting it was some pages ago, but I didn't think it would need reinterating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Just take the solicitors lead and go that route.

You will eventually get your house back, but it will take an amount of time and money, process after process and ticking boxes one after the other.

If the tenant is withholding and not paying rent, then it's contract broken and the law is on your side, regardless if they have no children or 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

An illegal eviction is an illegal eviction no matter what the intentions are. Cop yourself on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭ozmo

A summary of this was in yesterdays news- has useful information on the process landlord has to follow.

Explainer: What rights do tenants have against eviction in Ireland?

https://jrnl.ie/5836240

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mrsinfo

Tenant moved out and left his dog in my house, said he called the garda on me because i walked arounf THE EMPTY property, he seen me on his camera!!!!! he is not there!!! the dog is the only thing in my property . (husband is living in the shed, he likes him just not me!) Been 3 days and no one has come to check on dog, its still in my house( pissing and **** on my floors) and he still wont give me my keys back..... there is no furniture in the property its empty except for the dog!!! what will i do? its friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Get a locksmith and change the locks. Bring the dog to the pound and tell yer man where it can be collected.

Could be a lot worse tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

You ring the ispca and they will get the authority to break open the door as there is a dog who needs rescuing.

You then see that the house is uninhabitable due to damage and mess that the dog has made. You inform the missing tenant that due to health and safety, they are not permitted to enter the house until further notice and direct them to threshold who will confirm this.

You then change all locks! If your finances won’t allow for the immediate repairs, the tenancy is ended. I will find the link on threshold regarding damage as soon as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

• If a property becomes temporarily uninhabitable, ask your landlord for temporary alternative accommodation. However, landlords are under no obligation to re-house tenants in these circumstances.
    • If you have to temporarily leave your home, confirm with your landlord that the necessary repairs will be carried out within a reasonable period of time, and ask for confirmation of the date on which you can return.
    • If your property becomes permanently uninhabitable, your tenancy is ended and you may seek alternative accommodation. Your deposit and any rent paid in advance should be returned to you.

A distressed dog could have done untold damage including pulling at pipes or electrics. Tenant is a **** for leaving the poor dog and I hope they get done for it. But as this is an emergency, they’re definitely not allowed enter the property until it’s deemed safe by you 😉

Post edited by StrawbsM on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The tenant has moved out. If they're not paying rent and all their stuff is gone, by any sane definition they've given up their tenancy. Re- enter YOUR house and secure it by any means necessary.

Telling them they can't re- enter because of health and safety is an admission from you that they still have tenancy. Do not go down that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

If the place is genuinely empty of furniture, then they've moved out, abandoned the place, and surrendered their tenancy. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth - count your blessings, call the ISPCA for the dog and change the f'n locks!

I'd have someone stay there overnight (your husband?) to make sure they don't try to re-enter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Sounds like your nightmare is finally over Mrsinfo, good advise above, hopefully this is the end of it now and you and your family can make a go of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mrsinfo

Well guys, My husband broke into our home(still wont give us our keys back.... not one key in the house) to discover they have stolen 2 tvs, kitchen applicence and my kitchen TAP along with a few units...... holes in all the walls and **** colour of paint to hide the ripped wall paper.... they lived here for less than 1 year!!!

Kids due in school on Wednesday..... have no money to fix any of this **** now!!! absolutely discussed with the behaviour of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Change the locks, if you haven't already. Photograph everything. Inventory what's missing, to the best of your ability.

I would guess as the tenancy wasn't registered you probably won't be covered by insurance?

You've got your house back so can get things back on track now. It doesn't have to be straight away. Can ye continue on your mum's sofa for another couple of weeks - get a credit union loan or borrow from parents to sort out the major things that need to be repaired, maybe work on one room at a time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Very sorry to read this.

Please report it to the rtb and possibly the guards.

You won't get a cent from them, but document it all nontheless.

On finances, have you to applied for back to school allowance? if you're too late, give a call to your local community welfare officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Sorry to hear that OP. What horrible people they are. Were they friends or just acquaintances? Id make it pretty public what they did to make them pay a social price

Good job, op. Getting bites on two threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Where was the American Pitbull from the other thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Oh, they'll be back with a new account and another horror story any day now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't think there's any reason to keep this thread going now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement